Free Cruise Questions

spindrift

For some reason, booking the free cruise (20th) has not been a very pleasant experience. I originally booked my free cruise when I was on my Thanksgiving trip. In the meantime, I am going to do another before then, so that will change my original booking to another the end of this year which means that will now be my 20th. No problem there.

We are having a very difficult time pricing the trip and are being told they can't tell me the price until June. ????? Who books a cruise without knowing the cost. Let me explain that--I am now widowed and travel alone, thus I don't know what the single supplement will be plus the cost of the cruise itself and related expenses. When I booked the "free" cruise while on the Regatta this November, the ambassador gave me a quote when booking it. I questioned the pricing as it didn't seem to show my part as free, but she said I should discuss this with my agent when I returned home. If they can quote prices when I booked onboard, why can't they quote my pricing now?

This has turned into a nightmare--a booking that should have been easy (and it is 14 days--the limit for the free cruise). I'm really disappointed in O at this point. I am going to be on Regent in March.

Your input would be appreciated.

I'm also being told that the room requested will only be a guarantee, and I am choosing to book my room next to friends. This is not good.

For some reason, booking the free cruise (20th) has not been a very pleasant experience. I originally booked my free cruise when I was on my Thanksgiving trip. In the meantime, I am going to do another before then, so that will change my original booking to another the end of this year which means that will now be my 20th. No problem there.

We are having a very difficult time pricing the trip and are being told they can't tell me the price until June. ????? Who books a cruise without knowing the cost. Let me explain that--I am now widowed and travel alone, thus I don't know what the single supplement will be plus the cost of the cruise itself and related expenses. When I booked the "free" cruise while on the Regatta this November, the ambassador gave me a quote when booking it. I questioned the pricing as it didn't seem to show my part as free, but she said I should discuss this with my agent when I returned home. If they can quote prices when I booked onboard, why can't they quote my pricing now?

This has turned into a nightmare--a booking that should have been easy (and it is 14 days--the limit for the free cruise). I'm really disappointed in O at this point. I am going to be on Regent in March.

Your input would be appreciated.

I'm also being told that the room requested will only be a guarantee, and I am choosing to book my room next to friends. This is not good.

Based on my understanding of the rules (see below), you've glossed over not abiding by three or four of the core requirements, most specifically that the free cruise must actually be your twentieth.

• Guests are required to notify Reservations when requesting the FREE CRUISE.
  • The awarded FREE CRUISE must be taken on the guest’s milestone cruise and is based on double occupancy, subject to availability at the time of booking, excludes government taxes and fees, cannot exceed 14 days in length and includes roundtrip coach air only.
  • The FREE CRUISE must be approved and will be placed as a guarantee until stateroom category has been assigned, upon authorization from the Oceania Club. For cruises over 14 days in length, the cruise cost will be prorated for the additional days.
  • Stateroom category will reflect the accommodations most closely matching the typical category selected by the guests on prior voyages.
  • The shipboard credit amenity is not applicable with the FREE CRUISE.
  • Air Credit will not be given if guests elect to purchase their own air.
  • Reservations for the FREE CRUISE may only be made 180 days or more prior to sail date. Other restrictions may apply.

Yes, this would be my 20th, and all else has been followed by my travel agent[], who is very active with O. There are just so many answers that differ.

Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

I was curious as to anyone else who has experienced this. I am not a taker and don't expect anything over and above.

I think these Oceania free cruise rules are really hard to follow and the uncertainty is difficult

Isn't it supposed to be a fun vacation not torture?

Just my opinion...

Unless things have changed, we had no trouble planning, booking and enjoying our free cruise. It was 21 days - so we paid for the extra seven days. Fortunately, no torture was involved :D.

Advanced planning is essential as the rules are strict and enforced by O - as they should be.

I think these Oceania free cruise rules are really hard to follow and the uncertainty is difficult

Isn't it supposed to be a fun vacation not torture?

Just my opinion...

Which ones in particular do you find difficult to follow?

Perhaps others can go into more detail.

Let me get this straight... The FREE CRUISE must be approved and will be placed as a guarantee until stateroom category has been assigned, upon authorization from the Oceania Club.

So if you usually book a verandah cabin mid-ship, you can't choose a specific cabin based on availability at 180 days minimum? Do you get the leftover GTY once the ship is mostly booked? Would it still even be mid-ship or could it be any verandah cabin as it would be considered the same cabin category without considering location?

Seems kind of crazy that they would give their best customers such a hard time. makes me not care if we ever get to 20. We are at 11 and were hoping to get there. Guess I should not try so hard. :(:(:(

You must remember that Oceania does not consider mid-ship to be prized territory. The really big Suites are forward and aft...you may find that it is a compromise worth making.

OwnersSuite_Entry_Marina.jpeg

I usually say Right On when I read your responses, but not this time. Yes suites are at the four corners, but the question used the example of a Veranda Cabin. O clearly considers Mid Ship prime territory. A1's & B1's are more expensive than A2's & B2's. Even with the Ocean View cabins on the R ships, C1 is a higher price than C2.

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree marilynfaye, my position remains that O recognizes that passengers book mid-ship first, and that is reflected in their pricing, but their money is invested in the front and back of the ship....and I always follow the money ;)

335B58EE00000578-3547860-image-a-22_1461141740834.jpg

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree marilynfaye, my position remains that O recognizes that passengers book mid-ship first, and that is reflected in their pricing, but their money is invested in the front and back of the ship....and I always follow the money ;)

335B58EE00000578-3547860-image-a-22_1461141740834.jpg

Sorry, but in this case you are wrong. If your thinking was true the first cabins that would be booked would be next to the large suites, not mid ship. The money is going for a much bigger cabin, not because it is in the front or back. A lot of other ships charge more for mid ship on a square foot basis. Look at Crystal... Their biggest suites are in the center of their ships.

A lot of other ships charge more for mid ship on a square foot basis. Look at Crystal... Their biggest suites are in the center of their ships.

Yes, but those ships are not effected by the Oceania Loyalty Program free cruise benefit, so I don't see how your analogy applies to this thread. :confused:

In terms of where the big Suites are located, through their design process, Oceania specifically has chosen to count on the bank-ability of the front and back of the ship.

I don't ask everyone to agree with their decision, but there was definitely a point when Oceania chose not to place their most expensive accommodations at the center of the ships... They did that because there ARE advantages to being forward or aft.

I read dozens, no hundreds, of posts here from people who first try a new class of cabin (typically a Penthouse) due to an Upgrade or Upsell and then "never want to go back again "; I'm sure that hasn't escaped the framers of the Loyalty Program. ;)

What is it that Mark Twain said about narrow mindedness? :p

Yes, but those ships are not effected by the Oceania Loyalty Program free cruise benefit, so I don't see how your analogy applies to this thread. :confused:

In terms of where the big Suites are located, through their design process, Oceania specifically has chosen to count on the bank-ability of the front and back of the ship.

I don't ask everyone to agree with their decision, but there was definitely a point when Oceania chose not to place their most expensive accommodations at the center of the ships... They did that because there ARE advantages to being forward or aft.

I read dozens, no hundreds, of posts here from people who first try a new class of cabin (typically a Penthouse) due to an Upgrade or Upsell and then "never want to go back again "; I'm sure that hasn't escaped the framers of the Loyalty Program. ;)

What is it that Mark Twain said about narrow mindedness? :p

Most cruise experts that I have read will tell you that mid ship is the best location to be in. The major advantage of the OS, VS and OC is their size, not their location. Try standing on your deck in a VS on a sea day. I have. Will almost get blown off. No advantage to that . And what does an up sell have to do with the loyalty program? A lot of us who try larger cabins do not want to go back. Nice to have more room. Enough from me. Have beaten this to death and have nothing more that will help this thread. Hope to meet you on a cruise some day and we can talk about these issues in a lot more depth than we can on these boards. Only good things. Have a great day and happy cruising. :):):)

• 6 months later...
HOST, I would appreciate your removing this post as it seems to be drawing some rude and unuseful comments. I didn't mean to create these issues. Please remove. Thank you.

What is rude? Did you not ask for advice or opinions? I can see why the HOST did not remove it at your direction

• 4 months later...

Some might find it rude to imply someone is trying to skirt the rules. The OP made it clear in her initial post that the free cruise she is trying to book is, in fact, her 20th on Oceania. The other cruise she referenced is on a different line.

I wonder if perhaps the onboard consultant created confusion? I don't know when the OP is planning her 20th cruise, but if it is more than six months from last Thanksgiving it appears the onboard consultant should have advised the OP that details wouldn't be available until 180 days prior to sailing.

While I understand it is the cruise line's policy, it's kind of sucky that you can't select a particular stateroom in your usual category. That doesn't seem to be a very good way to recognize loyal cruisers, who over the years have paid huge sums before receiving a "free" cruise.

I hope the OP's travel agent is able to get everything taken care of.

Happy Sailing! Carla

Some might find it rude to imply someone is trying to skirt the rules. The OP made it clear in her initial post that the free cruise she is trying to book is, in fact, her 20th on Oceania. The other cruise she referenced is on a different line.

I wonder if perhaps the onboard consultant created confusion? I don't know when the OP is planning her 20th cruise, but if it is more than six months from last Thanksgiving it appears the onboard consultant should have advised the OP that details wouldn't be available until 180 days prior to sailing.

While I understand it is the cruise line's policy, it's kind of sucky that you can't select a particular stateroom in your usual category. That doesn't seem to be a very good way to recognize loyal cruisers, who over the years have paid huge sums before receiving a "free" cruise.

I hope the OP's travel agent is able to get everything taken care of.

Happy Sailing! Carla

Say what now?

I guess I didn’t know all those rules when I booked my room over a year in advance. Of course I didn’t claim it as my free cruise at that time. That was later, but I was planning on it being my free cruise all along.

Once final payment has been made and request submitted for the free cruise (as per Oceania rules), can anyone tell us how long it takes Oceania to actually approve the booking?

This is something best handled by your travel agent. Surely if you are approaching 20 you use one.