What to do in Matzatlan?

KurtMo

Will be in Matzatlan for first time on November 1 (all Saints day) from 8am - 5pm - what is a good bet for a beach / resort day or day with some sights / historical value? Will be myself and wife, we are not Spanish speakers. Not overly concerned about cost, just looking for nice day.

Kurtmo- I am glad you asked this question. I've been doing research and there are not a lot excursion choices. It seems to me that this port in recently being added back as stop. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I have been researching resorts that allow for day passes. I will be very interested in the responses to your inquiry. I'm going end of march so I may have spring breakers to contend with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going in October and have been trying to find a Pool/Beach Resort. I've posted on this board asking about Hotels with Day Passes and haven't got much feedback. At this point I think we will try the Riu Hotel. We will take a Pulmonia from the port to the Hotel and back, with stops along the way at the Cathedral and the Malecon.

You might want to look at Stone island. An easy crossing from the cruise port. Not a hotel, but lots of beachfront restaurants and activities you pay for as you use them. Last time we rode horses. Think it is now Maria's as sadly Randi passed away. Also ate and drank at Victor's. Great Shrimp.

Something completely different (seeing as you can do beaches and resorts in both Cabo and PV) - just follow the blue line to the Centro Histórico - visit the Teatro Ángela Peralta, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the Mercado Central, wander the streets of this delightful city, grab lunch at one of the many restaurants that line the Plaza Machado, indulge in a little retail therapy and stroll along the Paseo Claussen to watch the divers at El Clavadista before retracing your steps back to the ship...

Peralt

Something completely different (seeing as you can do beaches and resorts in both Cabo and PV) - just follow the blue line to the Centro Histórico - visit the Teatro Ángela Peralta, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the Mercado Central, wander the streets of this delightful city, grab lunch at one of the many restaurants that line the Plaza Machado, indulge in a little retail therapy and stroll along the Paseo Claussen to watch the divers at El Clavadista before retracing your steps back to the ship...

BritinSoCal - Would you feel very comfortable doing this during daylight hours, it sounds interesting enough - as long as not through very "sketchy" areas on route and to/from ship. Does this route feel well-traveled with tourists? (Obviously you still have to be aware as always...)

There might be special things going on because of the holiday. We've seen parades etc in other Mexican cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SadieN - yes, there is a parade, but it starts a few hours after we have to be back on the ship.

BritinSoCal - Would you feel very comfortable doing this during daylight hours, it sounds interesting enough - as long as not through very "sketchy" areas on route and to/from ship. Does this route feel well-traveled with tourists? (Obviously you still have to be aware as always...)

The Centro Histórico is at the end of Mazatlan's famous blue line (literally a blue line in the middle of the street that runs from the cruise terminal and which you can also find plenty of Mazatlan volunteers - mostly US and Canadian snowbirds - who take US State Department advice with a hefty pinch of salt (and in all fairness I also ignore the FCO threat alerts regarding the US). We're talking the historic downtown centre of Mazatlan here, not some dodgy run down area of Cleveland :D

But yes, it's perfectly safe. The historic centre is incredibly popular with tourists and locals alike, and yes I've traced those steps on many an occasion... Just take the same kind of precautions you would in any city abroad... or at home.

Agree that the walk described above is perfectly safe.

We are seniors who have done it on our own several times and have also gotten a ride in a pulmonia(open air cab) from the central plaza when we were tired. This is a lovely city with lots of Americans and Canadians who make it their retirement home or winter vacation destination.

There is no need to be afraid of visiting.

Take the Carnival excursion that's all-inclusive to the El Cid resort. It's awesome on it's own but when you're there keep an eye out for private parasailing operators on the beach, they can give you a great experience for $40 which includes way more time in the air than official excursions.

Seriously, some of the most fun I've had in my life...

[YOUTUBE]b8605mhbJ54[/YOUTUBE]

We've been to MZ many times.. If you like water sports and relaxing on the beach with some good eats, I'd suggest Stone Island. You can get there by water taxi for a couple of bucks. From there, you'll jump in a small truck and it'll take you straight to the beach! I suggest hanging out at Victors. They have great food and can hook you up with jet skis, parasailing, fishing, etc. One year, they just finished fishing and had this beautiful Mahi Mahi. We paid $40 and Victors' cooked it for us! It was the bomb! After Victors, you can check out Sr. Froggs, but if you're not partiers, you can do some shopping by the cruise terminal and call it a day......

We've been to MZ many times.. If you like water sports and relaxing on the beach with some good eats, I'd suggest Stone Island. You can get there by water taxi for a couple of bucks. From there, you'll jump in a small truck and it'll take you straight to the beach! I suggest hanging out at Victors. They have great food and can hook you up with jet skis, parasailing, fishing, etc. One year, they just finished fishing and had this beautiful Mahi Mahi. We paid $40 and Victors' cooked it for us! It was the bomb! After Victors, you can check out Sr. Froggs, but if you're not partiers, you can do some shopping by the cruise terminal and call it a day......

The last few times I visited Stone Island, Victor's has been closed.

I was told by one of the locals that his drinking was the problem.

I have found Lety's (next door) to be very good.

Oh wow!! That's not good!! Thank you for the heads up! Friends of ours were there 2 or 3 years ago and he was still there.

Total bummer!

I heard good things about Lety;s, so we'll go there!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Victor's was open as recently as March of this year. It was my first time back in nearly ten years but it didn't look like much had changed. :D Great spot on the beach to spend an afternoon.

Another vote for Stone Island, which we'll be visiting in about 2 weeks! :D

A good friend of ours who visits Mazatlan frequently also recommends Stone for a great, laid back beach day. His favorite hangout there - Molokay.

We were looking at stone island tours- seems $35 or so for a 1 hr catamaran around mazatlan, lunch, open bar on island, and 2 activities is a great deal. Anyone use either Johann & Sandra from Mazatlan tours or stoneisland tours? Both seem about the same.

We were looking at stone island tours- seems $35 or so for a 1 hr catamaran around mazatlan, lunch, open bar on island, and 2 activities is a great deal. Anyone use either Johann & Sandra from Mazatlan tours or stoneisland tours? Both seem about the same.

We have read here / heard from friends that organized tours to Stone Island are really not necessary since it is so easy (and cheaper) to do it on your own.

So that is what we're doing. We'll be sitting on the beach on Stone Island with our toes in the sand enjoying lunch and a few cold cervezas on Oct 3rd! :D

We just got back from Mazatlan on the Carnival Miracle, and walked to Stone Island from the cruise terminal. It was very easy. We did go to Lety's restaurant. The waiter there offered us a number of activities they could supply (banana boat, ATV rental, Kayak...). We rented kayaks from them (200 pesos per kayak for more than 2 hours). They kept our personal belongings safe for us while we were out kayaking. After kayaking we enjoyed some very delicious cheap margaritas.

I would highly reccomend it. To help people out I made 2 versions of a tiny little map to print out:

367tx.jpg

xdfbm9.jpg

We just got back from Mazatlan on the Carnival Miracle' date=' and walked to Stone Island from the cruise terminal. It was very easy. We did go to Lety's restaurant. The waiter there offered us a number of activities they could supply (banana boat, ATV rental, Kayak...). We rented kayaks from them (200 pesos per kayak for more than 2 hours). They kept our personal belongings safe for us while we were out kayaking. After kayaking we enjoyed some very delicious cheap margaritas.[/size']

I would highly reccomend it. To help people out I made 2 versions of a tiny little map to print out:

367tx.jpg

xdfbm9.jpg

Great maps thanks. Can you provide an approximate distance/time required to get from 1-5?

Great maps thanks. Can you provide an approximate distance/time required to get from 1-5?

Conservatively probably about 20-30 minutes at a leisurely pace depending on how quickly you can get on a boat. No more than a mile of total walking.

Google maps says it is 700m (~0.4 miles) from the cruise terminal to the water taxi pier. Probably about the same distance from where you get off the boat at stone island to Lety's Restaurant if you walk along the beach.