Appropriate or Overdressed?

HangryGrl

Here's the thing about formal nights...the answer to your question is yes, the dress is appropriate and yes, you MIGHT feel overdressed.

Where are you cruising? Some itineraries tend to be more dressed up or more casual than others. Longer itineraries tend to be more dressed up than shorter ones.

If you share your itinerary, you'll get more applicable feedback. Regardless, beautiful dress and I would love to wear it on formal on a cruise. Nice choice.

Thanks for the responses! As someone had asked, I will be on a 9 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. We have been on Royal before but skipped formal nights. I think I will take the chance and get it. :) I agree that it is better to be over dressed than under dressed in most situations.

There is a slip liner underneath. You can see it comes to just above mid thigh on the model. Thankfully I am probably at least 4 inches shorter than she is so it should come down a few inches above my knees according to the description(measurement) on the web site.

Just off Allure in the Caribbean. For formal night it would be just fine. There were people Fancy dresses down to shorts. You will look wonderful. I just had on a nice black and white dressy shirt and white capris (that's as fancy as I own) and it was fine too.

I finally received the dress and have come back with an update! :)

Pros: The color of the dress is just as pictured and is stunning. It was the main reason I was drawn to the dress and I was somewhat concerned it wouldn't live up to expectations but it has!

The length of the slip dress underneath is plenty long on me. I know a few voiced concerns that it would be too short but since I am also short (5'4") I wasn't too worried. The slip dress underneath comes down to about 1-1.5 inches above my knees which I think is fine.

The dress was not at all wrinkled when I received it so I think it would pack well.

Cons: The dress is pretty but doesn't have as much shape as I was hoping. I am in the process of deciding whether I just need a

smaller size or if it just isn't suited for my body type. I have seen it referred to as athletic, banana or rectangle body type which basically means I am a straight line don't have a lot of definition anywhere (chest, waist or hips).

The dress does drop a lot of glitter wherever it goes. Another consideration to sending it back since it would need to be

packed in with other clothes.

In all it is a very pretty dress and I am on the fence at the moment whether to just return it or to try a smaller size. :)

I know someone asked where I got it so I will post the link below and hope that is not against any rules! ;)

https://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=7~72~5825~&ProductDisplayID=37698

Hi! I am wondering if this dress will be appropriate for a formal night on Royal Caribbean or if I am going to feel way overdressed?

Y68747-TLMU_Y62929-GL.055.jpg?preset=dept

Hope you wore it...lovely dress. Some dress up extra, some don't...variety on a cruise. You have to choose. It's your life...wear what you want...don't save it for another day, or a someday day.

I finally received the dress and have come back with an update! :)

Pros: The color of the dress is just as pictured and is stunning. It was the main reason I was drawn to the dress and I was somewhat concerned it wouldn't live up to expectations but it has!

The length of the slip dress underneath is plenty long on me. I know a few voiced concerns that it would be too short but since I am also short (5'4") I wasn't too worried. The slip dress underneath comes down to about 1-1.5 inches above my knees which I think is fine.

The dress was not at all wrinkled when I received it so I think it would pack well.

Cons: The dress is pretty but doesn't have as much shape as I was hoping. I am in the process of deciding whether I just need a

smaller size or if it just isn't suited for my body type. I have seen it referred to as athletic, banana or rectangle body type which basically means I am a straight line don't have a lot of definition anywhere (chest, waist or hips).

The dress does drop a lot of glitter wherever it goes. Another consideration to sending it back since it would need to be

packed in with other clothes.

In all it is a very pretty dress and I am on the fence at the moment whether to just return it or to try a smaller size. :)

I know someone asked where I got it so I will post the link below and hope that is not against any rules! ;)

https://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=7~72~5825~&ProductDisplayID=37698

It looks stunning. Having glitter coming off would be a deal breaker for me.

To help the glitter situation I would try covering with a dry cleaners bag when packing. The glitter would be contained in the bag and not get on your other clothes. I would try tying the bag at the bottom so the glitter can't escape. Also our dry cleaners offers two different sizes so I would opt for the longer size.

Good luck. The dress is lovely and I hope you can keep it and wear it.

To help shed the excess glitter, put the dress in an old pillow case, tying the case closed either with string, or by tying a knot in the end. Toss the pillow case in the dryer on Fluff no heat cycle for about 10 minutes. Remove your dress and the excess glitter will be in the pillow case.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums