Cough and Colds onboard.

tractortom

Speaking of illness on the ship, not noro, but coughs and colds are a problem for us.

The wife and I were on an 11 day Holland America cruise in November. Before the cruise, I tend to start taking Emergen-C about once or twice a day for five days before, and then one a day during the cruise. I find that the mega-dose of vitamin C helps fight off colds. My wife, on the other hand, did not bother.

When we got on the ship, in the first two days I noticed people coughing. Of course, on day three, my wife was down with it. Just a cold, runny nose, sort throat, coughing. I stayed on the C and held it off another two or three days, and then I had it too.

We are SO careful to not touch the handrails, push elevator buttons with an elbow or knuckle, wash hands frequently, sanitized when offered, and we still came down with it, and the suffering that ensued.

So, in February, we are on Fantasy, just us two adults, on a ship crawling with little kids and the constant runny nose associated with kids. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to another cold this season, as I've had mine, and now that we are in our 60's, we rarely get sick, including colds.

So, what do you folks do to stay well? How do you hold off the colds that come from being around kids?

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Okeechobee

The spread of Noro is completely different from the spread of rhinoviruses (the main cause of coughs and colds). Nora is "hand to mouth." You touch something contaminated and get your fingers near your mouth and ingest the virus. That's somewhat simple to limit although harder in practice than in theory.

Colds, on the other hand, are spread by airborne particles of virus. Someone coughs or sneezes these into the air and you inhale them. If your immune system doesn't kill off all the viral particles, you get a cold. Well, you have to breathe, and people are going to continue to cough. Wearing a mask with high filter capacity can somewhat limit what you inhale, but that's also not realistic. Having your friends and neighbors cover their mouths and noses when coughing or sneezing is the best prevention.

From there....whatever your particular favorite of immune system booster MIGHT help. The number of viral particles must overwhelm your system for you to become ill, so anything that helps your immune system will decrease illness. Unfortunately there are a lot more products making claims than there are those with scientifically proven effects.

what moki's mom said - colds are airborne and there is little you can do to prevent it..

all the old folk remedies just get people rich...(the ones selling them to you)..

cough/colds are very hard to avoid when lots of people are sick around you and a ship is almost impossible since it's a relatively closed space..

as a grandparent, i know every winter i am going to be sick with a cold.....there is no way to avoid it with those little typhoid marys around me all the time (can you hear me coughing...i am...)..

so given the above, what do i do when i travel? i always take antibiotics with me......to deal with the various bacterial infections that may result from having a cold...

yes yes, a cold is a virus, but often bacterial infections can result....sinus infections, bronchial infections, etc..

so my doctor gives me the two best used for the various things that may result..

as for how to avoid catching a cold on a ship if everyone around is sick?....haven't a clue...i've never managed to not catch it...

I wanted to mention that there is really no proof that mega doses of vitamin C prevent colds. I know some people think it works but I have yet to read anything that supports this.

Always best to wash hands thoroughly and not touch mouth, nose or eyes.

Also keep your resistance strong by getting sufficient sleep.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Sufficient sleep and eat your greens - leafy greens have l-lysine, an amino acid that is vital to creating white blood cells in your body. If you want to take a supplement that will prevent colds, you may as well take that, as it will help support your body's natural response.

I came back from a cruise last week on the Fantasy with a mild cold and cough. Lots of folks don't practice the basic hygiene of covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze. It was particularly bad on this cruise. I will survive but did visit the doctor as I had a sinus to ear infection. We are going on anther cruise at the end of the month. The doctor suggested taking Emergen-C prior to the cruise. My wife did that before this last cruise and her immune system seems to have held up better than mine. The other suggestions noted above make lots of sense as well.

My brother is an MD and research scientist working on cold and flu DNA mapping (as well as other viruses). There is no prevention for the cold virus and flu shots are like a box of chocolates.... Nothing can help you stave off the common cold virus including massive Vitamin C or any other product. Best advice has already been given. Wash hands often and don't touch your face. (I also use only my knuckles to press elevator buttons. ) And if Americans would wear face masks when sick like they do on Asia, it would make a huge positive impact.

I agree with the Emergen C. Take advantage of the hand sanitizers EVERY time you see one! I also take a small medicine kit the includes small amounts of Halls lozenges, Mucinex, or whtaever your preferred cold remedy is as it is not likely available on the ship. Stay hydrated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I came back from a cruise last week on the Fantasy with a mild cold and cough. Lots of folks don't practice the basic hygiene of covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze. It was particularly bad on this cruise. I will survive but did visit the doctor as I had a sinus to ear infection. We are going on anther cruise at the end of the month. The doctor suggested taking Emergen-C prior to the cruise. My wife did that before this last cruise and her immune system seems to have held up better than mine. The other suggestions noted above make lots of sense as well.
If your doctor recommends Emergen-C you should get another doctor because that is snake oil that just wastes your money.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

If your doctor recommends Emergen-C you should get another doctor because that is snake oil that just wastes your money.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

From the Mayo Clinic website:

“Common cold. Taking oral vitamin C supplements won't prevent the common cold. However, there's some evidence that when people who regularly take vitamin C supplements get a cold, the illness lasts fewer days and symptoms are less severe. Starting a vitamin C supplement only after you develop a cold is of no help.”

We have found this to be true. And we have high confidence in the internist who recommends building Vitamin C levels to better protect the immune system. We know it is not a cure all.

One thing is for sure, the cruise ship is a place to more easily catch a cold. We wash our hands frequently, and would appreciate passengers covering their sneezes and coughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just at WDW for 8 days and people were sick and coughing everywhere! We washed hands and tried to avoid being near people that were hacking up a lung. We managed to avoid getting sick but my kids are 10 and 8. I think their toddler years have shored up our immune systems by exposing us to so many viruses in the past decade!

So I guess I am saying to get sick more often? There must be a better way!

i wonder how many people are catching the flu on board ship right now...

it's highly contagious this year and a real "rhymes with witch" of an illness....

i'm now on day 14, with no end in sight....

i would assume the close confines of a ship make it even more contagious!!

and if you have to fly to your cruise, you're upping the ante even more...

good health to everyone out there and i hope the flu doesn't find your house!!

Illnesses like that could ruin special vacation. In order to cope with cough and colds, cruises should bring handy cough or cold medicine to lessen their uncomfortable symptoms.

The are for sale in the gift shops as well....but eliminating symptoms doesn't necessarily eliminate viral spread.