Nassau & Freeport - Kids first cruise

BrownsFan19

Hi all - We are sailing at the end of January and although I've been on many cruises, this will be a first time for my kids. They are ages 8&9. We will visit both Nassau & Freeport. I'd like to plan some type of excursion for one of those days (taking a boat out to snorkel I think would be a cool experience for them). The other day I'd like to keep unplanned that way we can either decide to stay on the ship, or take a quick trip to the beach or town for awhile then get back on the boat.

Which stop do you think is better for an unplanned day vs a planned excursion? Any excursions you'd recommend? I'd rather book privately as opposed to through the ship.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi all - We are sailing at the end of January and although I've been on many cruises, this will be a first time for my kids. They are ages 8&9. We will visit both Nassau & Freeport. I'd like to plan some type of excursion for one of those days (taking a boat out to snorkel I think would be a cool experience for them). The other day I'd like to keep unplanned that way we can either decide to stay on the ship, or take a quick trip to the beach or town for awhile then get back on the boat.

Which stop do you think is better for an unplanned day vs a planned excursion? Any excursions you'd recommend? I'd rather book privately as opposed to through the ship.

The Freeport is far away from everything. It's mostly an industrial port so an excursion is best there. There's lots to do in Nassau with out an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep in mind the water temperatures in both Nassau and Freeport will be very chilly in January! ;)

Unless you're from Maine or a northern place like Maine. January is hot for us in the Bahamas. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd also recommend Freeport for the snorkeling - it looks more like an excursion port. Nassau also has the zoo and a pirate museum fairly close that your kids might enjoy (esp. if weather doesn't cooperate).

Keep in mind the water temperatures in both Nassau and Freeport will be very chilly in January! ;)

I think water temps are to be in the 70's. It sounds like that will be chilly for those from the Carolinas and south, but I grew up on Lake Erie and think if temps got above 75 they closed the beaches for swimming (bacteria levels). I don't know if salt water makes a difference for perceived temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Freeport kayak and nature tour through carnival. Highly recommend it. From what all the others at our table were saying at dinner, I think we had the best day trip of anyone. Cool easy kayak trip down a shallow river through the mangroves drive to the beach that pirates of the Caribbean was filmed on. Super easy safe beach for kids because it's protectef by a reef. It says it includes a nature walk but it is really just an easy jaunt with your guide explaining the stuff you are seeing. Oh! And there are adorable raccoons at the beach. Plus there is an awesome way to cross the river to the beach that I don't want to spoil by telling you. The guide was amazing with interesting facts about everything. I'd put one boy in the front seat of each kayak with an adult or put them both in one boat depending on maturity level. Freeport is actually pretty amazing with the right guide. Very glad I did this.

We just did the Freeport kayak and nature tour through carnival. Highly recommend it. From what all the others at our table were saying at dinner, I think we had the best day trip of anyone. Cool easy kayak trip down a shallow river through the mangroves drive to the beach that pirates of the Caribbean was filmed on. Super easy safe beach for kids because it's protectef by a reef. It says it includes a nature walk but it is really just an easy jaunt with your guide explaining the stuff you are seeing. Oh! And there are adorable raccoons at the beach. Plus there is an awesome way to cross the river to the beach that I don't want to spoil by telling you. The guide was amazing with interesting facts about everything. I'd put one boy in the front seat of each kayak with an adult or put them both in one boat depending on maturity level. Freeport is actually pretty amazing with the right guide. Very glad I did this.

Thanks for the positive review! My husband and I are scheduled for this on our Feb/March cruise.

I think it is easy to be on your own in Nassau. You an shop in the nearby stores or take a taxi or water taxi to Cabbage Beach, the public beach right next to the Atlantis. it is a beautiful beach. We were there in late Dec. and the water had a slight chill but was swimable. It was just a few $ each way, I forget exactly: 3?. Just watch, sometimes when we have been there the waves are larger, the time in Dec. it was calm, it just depends. They have banana boats, waverunners, etc. Hope you have nice weather, and have fun!