When to Give a Dress Away

Like many of us on this board I love clothes and buy many dresses. Often the purchase is for both at home and a cruise. But, sometimes it is cruise only. Specifically for formal nights.

My question is how many times or for how long do you wear your dresses. I don't spend much on any dress, usually less than $100, mostly less than $75. So, I love all of my older clothes but want something new too,

As you can see, I am trying to buy something new for my next cruise. It is for formal night but probably could wear it for a formal night and a specialty restaurant.

What do you think? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for your opinions.

I live in a very small house that only has two little closets although I do have two wardrobes. When I retired and started cruising I realized I did not have space for everything. I decided that for every new piece of clothing I buy (for a cruise or not) I have to get rid of one thing. Since I don't need as many clothes as when I was working, it has been fairly easy to part with some items that I have not worn in the five and a half years I have been retired.

Right now I have three bags of clothes to go to Goodwill this weekend. I saw on TV a while back that Goodwill takes the clothes in the best shape and sells them in their stores. Those that are more worn are shipped overseas where the fabric is recycled and Goodwill makes money off of every pound of fabric. A win-win situation.

I buy classics rather than trendy, so it doesn't bother me to rewear cruise clothes.

I try to weed out clothes now and then, but I always look at most of them and know I'll wear them again, even if it's two years later.

The bad side to it is we've downsized to a condo, so my DH is going to have to give me half of his closet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I retired 6 years ago I got rid of my suites and office dresses. Then I got rid of slacks I didn't like. Moved on to clothes that did not fit. Celebrity eliminated formal nights so a lot of my gowns went next. As I get older I cannot comfortably wear heals so they are gone. Finally giving away clothes that I like, still fit but do not flatter me. It's at the point that my DH has more clothes than I do.

You might try selling them on eBay. I was surprised at how much people would pay for used clothes! Make sure you list an accurate weight for the entire package when you create the listing and eBay will give you a nice discount on the shipping fee when you buy the postage from them at the end, that's one tip I picked up.

I have quite a few clothes that are mainly used only for cruises, especially cocktail or formal wear, which I literally never need at home. We are dressing less formally than we used too, so even some of my nicer dresses aren't worn much anymore.

I do weed through my clothing every time we cruise and give away a few things now and again. I have multiple pictures of me in a certain cocktail dress on different cruises because it is my favorite and easy to wear and pack!

I tend to hang onto some clothing for sentimental reasons but am trying to get beyond that.

When I retired 6 years ago I got rid of my suites and office dresses. Then I got rid of slacks I didn't like. Moved on to clothes that did not fit. Celebrity eliminated formal nights so a lot of my gowns went next. As I get older I cannot comfortably wear heals so they are gone. Finally giving away clothes that I like, still fit but do not flatter me. It's at the point that my DH has more clothes than I do.

This is all too familiar - I love it! I just retired in August, so I am not quite at the point where DH has more clothes than I do. But, I will work on it before our Grand Asia cruise in September. But, then, I may have lost 10 pounds, so maybe I won't give too much away. Wishful thinking.

OP here. I am enjoying everyone's responses. When I was working I wore pants to work, always. I worked retail and pants were more practical.. I seldom wore a dress. When we started cruising I bought dresses and love them all. Some are a little tighter now so I think I will start weeding out on that basis.

Anyway, you are all giving me a little bit of insight. I will probably give most of the older dresses away.

Thank you.