Britannia - sunbed situation

soobs

We sailed the Caribbean on Britannia on her maiden season and the towels on sunbeds at dawn and the squabbling about sunbeds was really not very good at all, since then we have have stuck to the Azura where we find it a lot better (still a bit of an issue if you are not an early riser though) Anyway my question is has it improved at all as I am thinking of the TA back to Southampton with James M on board.

We sailed the Caribbean on Britannia on her maiden season and the towels on sunbeds at dawn and the squabbling about sunbeds was really not very good at all, since then we have have stuck to the Azura where we find it a lot better (still a bit of an issue if you are not an early riser though) Anyway my question is has it improved at all as I am thinking of the TA back to Southampton with James M on board.

Trusted friends on advice booked The Retreat.

At dawn? Too late.

Drawn now evidences the gathering of the various seal colonies, who meet up with the first wave of hoggers (pre dawn), same being armed with all the colonies' reservation items (i.e. Old books, magazines, hats etc).

The colonies have a distinct and mutually accepted form of greeting known as the "Ahwight". Each colony member gives, and receives the approved greeting before lounging. This protocol is strictly observed.

Approach a colony at one's peril.

Good luck

Trusted friends on advice booked The Retreat.

At dawn? Too late.

Drawn now evidences the gathering of the various seal colonies, who meet up with the first wave of hoggers (pre dawn), same being armed with all the colonies' reservation items (i.e. Old books, magazines, hats etc).

The colonies have a distinct and mutually accepted form of greeting known as the "Ahwight". Each colony member gives, and receives the approved greeting before lounging. This protocol is strictly observed.

Approach a colony at one's peril.

Good luck

Brilliant!!!:D

Not had a problem with sun beds but did do 5 weeks on Britannia to Caribbean a couple of years ago. No sun beds anywhere as they were occupied by older people sunbathing topless!! Before anyone jumps on me for being ageist etc I am actually 74 and would absolutely NOT expose my wrinkled exterior for a bit of sun.

Frankly those seeking a sun bed and find one unoccupied yet piled with books and personal bits should have the courage to remove the items from the sun bed(s) and place same on the deck. Expect a barrage from the previous occupier when they return, but ignore them and they will go away after a few minutes and look elsewhere to do the same as yourself.

Personally I don't sunbath but have witnessed selfishness of reserving sun beds on so many occasions and see no reason why folk are so able to flout the sun deck rules.

Stand up and be counted .. ummmm lay down and be counted.

We have been on Britannia 3 times and will be on her again on the 19th of jan.

We have never had problems finding sunbeds provided you are not looking for one next to the two main pools,

Had no problem getting one in the serenity quite area or obtaining one in the retreat.

I sometimes think that people are to lazy to look for beds.

It looks like it is still a problem finding a sunbed unless you get up at silly o'clock so not sure Britannia is for me

thank you for your replies

True if you want one round the pool. But no ship in the world can have enough sun beds round a pool are for all the cruisers on the ship.

When we were on in Oct 15 we found large numbers of unused beds on the hottest day of the cruise. Well away from the pool area of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds as if they deliberately overbooked. This is not on.

Probably true but also in true caring for others traditions we saw people in the retreat on Azura "reserving" loungers in both the shaded and sunny areas to ensure they had all bases covered. I actually overheard one guy who had done this say to someone who challenged him that his wife was very particular about how much sun she had so he was making sure she was ok and that he had checked with the on duty staff that it was ok for him to do it as "they knew him from many cruises". Unfortunately we were on the beds next to him during his "shaded" periods and he was a right pain in the backside to all the staff with constant demands so I'm pretty sure he was right that they did know him quite well.

Have also seen long queues forming from 30 mins before opening for the retreat on Azura in the Caribbean especially on sea days.

Well that looks really positive was it a sea day? looking like March cruise may be back on the agenda!!

Looks like a mid-morning on embarkation day.

No beds or tables have been moved, and the daylight appears to be well after sunrise.

If a sea day, by the time the photograph was taken, the straight lines of beds would have been thoroughly trashed to become seal colonies, with multiple beds removed to create more personal space for a colony. Note no reservation items.

In light of the above, photographic evidence makes the case for a non-seaday proven.

We have sailed with Britannia 5 times now, med and Canaries and have always been able to find a sun bed. Granted not near the pools but I wouldn't want to be jam packed next to someone else and the main pool is noisy. Have a wander round and find all the lesser used areas.It can also be very windy at the front. Much prefer our own balcony.

Frankly those seeking a sun bed and find one unoccupied yet piled with books and personal bits should have the courage to remove the items from the sun bed(s) and place same on the deck. Expect a barrage from the previous occupier when they return, but ignore them and they will go away after a few minutes and look elsewhere to do the same as yourself.

Personally I don't sunbath but have witnessed selfishness of reserving sun beds on so many occasions and see no reason why folk are so able to flout the sun deck rules.

Stand up and be counted .. ummmm lay down and be counted.

I agree with the sentiment entirely however some of the worst fights on cruise ships start this way and the innocent party can often get thrown off with the guilty one who kicks up a fuss or starts a physical fight.

The cruise company should deal with it. It would be particulalry easy to do this with the early morning bed hoggers, wait 30 minutes from when any items are left on a bed and then simply remove them. By 8am all the beds would be clear again. Do a round every 30 minutes and remove any items, if applied consistently the message would eventually get through to even the terminally selfish. It would take just one additional member of staff to do this and makes everyone life easier.

Celebrity do it and while it is not perfect they at least try and it is better than allowing self centered, selfish people to hog facilities meant for the enjoyment of everyone. My particular bug bear is those who go on shore and bag a bed for when they eventually return which someone could have had the use of all morning.

The cruise company should deal with it. It would be particulalry easy to do this with the early morning bed hoggers, wait 30 minutes from when any items are left on a bed and then simply remove them. By 8am all the beds would be clear again. Do a round every 30 minutes and remove any items, if applied consistently the message would eventually get through to even the terminally selfish. It would take just one additional member of staff to do this and makes everyone life easier.

Okay in therory.

However, a P&O Seal Colony will have sentinals in place to defend all their created territory.

These are usually the largest, most vociferous, and aggressive members of the Colony, sometimes displaying a number of tattoos, signifying their rank or status within the Colony.

Do not think a solitary unprotected, and unarmed, member of staff would stand a chance.

We removed a book and towels from sunbeds that hadn't been occupied for 90 minutes at least. We had been sitting having a coffee waiting to see if anyone came back. We moved the stuff onto a nearby table and began sunbathing. After another 30 minutes the owners (of the books and towels) came back and said they had only been 20 minutes. Another couple fell about laughing and told them they had been gone for 2 hours. Nothing more was said.

Looks like a mid-morning on embarkation day.

No beds or tables have been moved, and the daylight appears to be well after sunrise.

If a sea day, by the time the photograph was taken, the straight lines of beds would have been thoroughly trashed to become seal colonies, with multiple beds removed to create more personal space for a colony. Note no reservation items.

In light of the above, photographic evidence makes the case for a non-seaday proven.

The photos were taken in the afternoon as we sailed past Ibiza on the hottest day of the cruise.

So once again you are wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums