Carry On Luggage Advice

Keith1010

Since I know that some of your travel by air regularly I wanted to get your help on this. I did post it on the Ask A Question Board but thought this board would be a great place to also solicit input.

I am considering new carry on luggage for myself and my wife.

I do know I need to look at some of this in a store and not on line to be sure.

I would appreciate input.

We want to go with a 22" Spinner.

The 22" inches needs to be a true 22" which includes the handle and the wheels so that we comply with most airline carry on requirements. I realize that total dimensions matter as well so I will check out all of that when making final decision.

Downside of the spinner over a two wheel is that the interior space is smaller so am looking for one that would maximize the interior space meaning that maybe the handle is not as high when the handle is all the way in and the wheels do not stick out too far.

Want it to be soft on the top so that we can inset a computer etc. to an outside pocket.

Would like it to not be too heavy when empty.

We want something that will last and are willing to pay more for something with good quality.

I am finding that trying to find one is more of a challenge then picking out electronics or even a cruise.

So I appreciate advice including links to the one(s) you recommend.

Thank you.

Happy New Year.

Keith

I don't have a specific suggestion of a particular bag, but try looking at ebags.com. They have literally hundreds of styles and brands and you can narrow the search pretty easily to the parameters you want. I looked for a bag a few years ago and my main concern was weight. I recall pretty easily finding a lightweight bag there.

Thank you Meg. That is one of the sites I have/am looking for to get additional details on the recommendations.

pnotlover, yes I have seen a few from Tumi. First I thought I had one but then it was hard sided on both sides. They have a couple of others and yes I will look in a store once I narrow this down. They are a bit pricier though and would prefer to find something that is not so pricey.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Keith

We travel over 6 months a year and have had more then our share of issues with luggage. A few years ago we found that the most practical carry-on luggage was simply a decent backpack. So now, we are the traveling seniors with both DW and I using our own backpacks. The reason is simply because its practical. Most folks can easily carry weight on their back, and using a backpack leave both our hands free to roll our larger pieces of luggage. Another benefit is that it is very rare for airline personnel to ever look at backpacks, measure them, or even weigh the things. My own backpack can hold more than nearly any typical carry-on....and since its soft I can cram it into tight overhead spaces.

Hank

I would highly suggest that you move some of your thinking towards a two wheeler. In a carryon size, the advantages of a spinner are not as great as with a bigger checked bag. Also, the spinner wheels take up a greater percentage of the overall size in a carry-on. The other thing to remember is that spinner wheels are inherently more "vulnerable" than the recessed wheels of a two-wheeler.

Though I still get excellent use from my Tumi carry-on, I have been very happy with my Eagle Creek bags. The Tarmac series sounds like it could fit your needs - soft sided with two usable outside pockets, durable and quality, but not busting the budget. Interestingly, you can see how the same bag in 2 or 4 wheels compare on the EC website. The difference in capacity is about 150 cubic inches.

Finally, before buying anything, you might want to check out the Tumi outlets stores in both Grand Prairie and Allen. You might find what you need and save a bit with an outgoing model.

Thanks FlyerTalker, maybe I will take another look at the two wheels.

I got in my mind trying to change things up with the four wheels and was hoping I could find the best of both worlds but I can't.

Translations maximum space and ease but by definition you lose space with the four wheels.

Good idea about Tumi outlets. We no longer live in that neck of the woods but there is a Tumi outlet near us so I'll check that out.

I will also take a look at Eagle Creek which I am not familiar.

Thank you again.

Keith

Santa gave me a Eddie Bauer duffel"gate 21" two wheeler for Christmas. Love it.

As a senior woman,I need to have soft sides,easy to lift myself, and two wheels. I hate the one spinner suitcase I have and rarely use it for my checked luggage.

Also, I always carry a small Globus messenger type bag for electronics, jewelry, glasses, magazine , small purse inside, that I put under my seat.

I have used this bag for years, many cruises, many airports, many hotels

It looks like brand new, and I have never had a problem on any airline carrying it on

https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-creek/ec-adventure-wheeled-tote/237347?productid=10198396

That's a fine bag for someone who is looking to move from a shoulder-carry "tote" to a roller tote. However, Keith was interested in a full-sized (22") carryon - this one is only 14".

I also recommend you take a look at the Eagle Creek line. I have one of their smaller "checked" bags, as well as a carry-on which is two-wheeled and can also be used as a backpack (for more rugged terrain, like cobblestone streets). These are very well made bags.

They don't seem to be on sale as often, but if you sign up on a few of the luggage websites, such as ebags, you can get offers for % off.

Check carefully the size requirements of ALL airlines you might be using.

IIRC, some have changed to something like 21.5 inches.

How carefully that is enforced...??

But "they" (those mysterious creatures/forces) seem to be pressuring the sizes down.

We have what seems like a warehouse full of "now too big" carryons.

That includes all 3 dimensions, including pieces that used to be advertised as fitting under the seat in front. That space had really changed. :(

The pet carriers we have, the ones that used to fit under the seat in front (and met the required dimensions0.... they look ridiculously huge now.

That collection also includes those with outdated features, or just too heavy compared with more recent luggage.

Also, beware the new "smart luggage" that can recharge cell phones/etc.; those are likely to be banned from checked baggage, unless the battery inside is removable.

It's like a frequently changing target.

GC

We travel over 6 months a year and have had more then our share of issues with luggage. A few years ago we found that the most practical carry-on luggage was simply a decent backpack. So now, we are the traveling seniors with both DW and I using our own backpacks. The reason is simply because its practical. Most folks can easily carry weight on their back, and using a backpack leave both our hands free to roll our larger pieces of luggage. Another benefit is that it is very rare for airline personnel to ever look at backpacks, measure them, or even weigh the things. My own backpack can hold more than nearly any typical carry-on....and since its soft I can cram it into tight overhead spaces.

Hank

Yep, I have a Tortuga travel backpack. It is designed for the business traveler. It opens like a suitcase so that nothing is really very far from the top. It is designed to be the proper size of a carry on for air travel. It has a protected place for a laptop/tablet.

If we are traveling for a week or less it is usually all I take these days. We are both 65+.

Thank you all for the additional thoughts.

Decisions/Decisions.

I really prefer a carry on but am now looking at two wheels rather then the roller.

GC, yes all good points. It's funny a few months ago I was thinking of a piece with the smart luggage but there has been talk about even not allowing it as a carry on with the battery inside. Maybe that is just speculation.

I really don't want to go with a backpack. Why?

Well I am still old school (but I don't consider myself old) and sometimes when we fly I wear a sports jacket so wouldn't want to wear a back pack with a sports jacket on. Yes, there might be some advantages to it but I just don't think for me it will work. And I do want something that is solid based on all we take with us. I do appreciate the suggestions though.

I will have to do more searching and just like when I get a camera it has become apparent that I need to see it up close although there are some places I can order it and not pay postage to return it. I plan though to go to an outlet as FlyerTalker suggested and the one I am thinking of would have not only a Tumi outlet but a few other stores that carry other brands of luggage.

Thank you all again and I do welcome additional input and recommendations.

Keith

Here are the two that work for me.

blogger-image-320331604.jpg

The pink one is a deluxe rolling backpack from llbean. No one will walk off with your hot-pink bag! Got it at an outlet for less than 1/2 price - just have to say my name is Shelby (since that's monogrammed on the bag.) The llbean bags are indestructible. They roll or can be a back-pack. The black one is a cheap bag, but decorated so that it does not look like every other bag on the carousel. The bag takes acrylic paint very well! Perhaps you have more artistic talent!

Keith -

REI carries Eagle Creek luggage, though not all pieces. Might be a place to see them, and at least get a feel for their quality.

Thank you FlyerTalker for this suggestion and for all of your other suggestions. It's been a big help to me.

Keith

I have had good luck with Travel Pro 2 wheeled luggage. I actually prefer the 2 wheeled to 4 wheeled - easier for me to handle. Travel Pro has both 21 inch and 22 inch carry on bags and they are pretty spacious. I have used them for years and have never had a problem with an airline (travel a lot internationally).

I have had good luck with Travel Pro 2 wheeled luggage. I actually prefer the 2 wheeled to 4 wheeled - easier for me to handle. Travel Pro has both 21 inch and 22 inch carry on bags and they are pretty spacious. I have used them for years and have never had a problem with an airline (travel a lot internationally).

My husband also bought a Travel Pro 2 wheeler and is very happy with it. I bought an LL Bean 2 wheeler but I wish I had gotten the Travel Pro.

2-wheelers are much easier for walking on cobblestones and other challenging situations. But 2-wheelers are getting increasingly hard to find.

2-wheelers are much easier for walking on cobblestones and other challenging situations. But 2-wheelers are getting increasingly hard to find.

There is still a strong supply of 2 wheel in the carryon size market. It's in the bigger bags where spinners are dominating the space, except for the rolling-duffle style bag.

Thank you all again for the recommendations.

Ironically we have used TravelPro for many years. We do like it but we want to go with a different company for our carry ons.

I am now back to the two wheel approach.

As FlyerTalker notes many places still have a wide assortment of two wheel carry ons.

I am looking for a bag that has maximum interior space. I really understand the exterior and how to measure it so it complies. I would like it to not weigh so much but at the same time don't want it to bey flimsy. I want it to have an outside spot for computer. I want the interior to have side pockets for various electronic components. It does not need to have a suiter inside and the preference for that is not to have it. I rarely use it for any clothes except maybe putting a medium size jacket in there as often I get cold at the airport such as in the airline lounges.

I have used Travelpro carry-ons in the past. No knock against them. My wife and I have ones with Tumi right now but not their regular Tumi. It's one that we got at Costco many years ago and was one of their other brands. It's been good but starting to show more wear.

I will continue to look on line and visit some stores including luggage stores, and some of the outlets stores such as Tumi.

It's like finding that perfect Christmas Tree. It takes time and there are hundred and hundreds of pieces to choose from.

Keith

I can understand what you are going through, having done this recently, although for a smaller checked bag rather than a carry-on. The amount of choices on the online sites like ebags can be bewildering. This is usually where I start my search. If I need to see a bag in person, I usually will go to a department store that carries the model. However, I have usually found the online luggage retailers are better on price.

As to measurements, I generally start with the "maximum" allowable dimensions (perhaps the largest carry-on measurement for foreign carriers). Then I try to narrow down choices based on features, price and customer feedback (sometimes taken with a grain of salt). If a bag that I'm interested in is perhaps just one inch over the stated maximum measurement in one dimension or another, I will still consider it, because it will likely still pass muster. (I say this based on our experience flying business class for overseas flights; I recognize that the airlines might be more strict in economy).

I want the interior to have side pockets for various electronic components.

Suggestion: Rather than look for fixed pockets inside, just use some smaller pouches for your electronic "add-ons". I find that business class amenity kits are a great size. They'll hold charger/power blocks, or wires or a mouse or whatever. I find them better than interior pockets because once I remove stuff from a fixed pocket, I have to find someplace to put the "stuff". With a pouch/bag, I have a holder for the little items. Also, I can take it out from the bag in the overhead and not have to go back and forth - the kit bag will hold the items and at the end of the flight, I just put the kit back in the bag.

Another thing I use is the Lil Roy bag from Redoxx. Small gadget bag bigger than amenity kits. You can see it here: Lil Roy Product Link Overall, Redoxx makes great bags, made in Montana. Everything from small gadget bags to full sized luggage. Solid on quality. For their big stuff, now that I'm older, I want the wheels, but for those who can do without, worth the look in sizes from inches to feet.

Again, the big advantages are that you 1) get the "inner bag" from the carryon at the start of the flight, 2) have a place to hold the "stuff" mid flight and 3) you don't have to go back and forth to the carryon during your flight. One small tip - if using a business class amenity bag - DO NOT use one that is currently distributed by that airline!! You may confuse the kit they give you with the one you brought yourself. So use an older generation, or a different airline. If flying DL, I may use an AF or KL bag, just to keep it straight.