Queen Mary2 sheltered balcony deck 6

marie2006

We have just booked a cruise on QM2 from Hong Kong to Dubai with a sheltered balcony (cabin 6177). Has anyone travelled in this cabin? Has it unobstructed views as apparently some of these cabins are obstructed. Does the sheltered balcony make the cabin dark? I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks Marie2006

Guest SilverHengroen

No obstructed view as such - that’s only for rooms on deck 8 behind the lifeboats - but you have to stand up on the balcony if you want to see anything but sky out of the opening. I wouldn’t say the rooms are dark, though not quite as light as the full balcony ones on the upper decks. Really they are very nice rooms and well positioned for all the ship’s amenities and offer the least motion when the ship is in heavy seas.

You haven't specified the time of year you're traveling but a sheltered balcony is wonderful when the weather is normally too cold and windy to dare to venture out onto a regular balcony for even a glimpse of the weather (like this morning - brrr). When seated either inside the room or on the balcony good only real view will be of the sky but that's remedied by standing and then you see both sea and sky.

The exclusive view in a 4-5-6 sheltered balcony is to be able to look down past the railing and see the ship cutting through the water. On higher desks you see the Deck 7 promenade when looking down and the ocean is beyond it the line where the ship meets the see (and the waves and flying fish originate) is obscured by more ship's structure.

We have just booked a cruise on QM2 from Hong Kong to Dubai with a sheltered balcony (cabin 6177). Has anyone travelled in this cabin? Has it unobstructed views as apparently some of these cabins are obstructed. Does the sheltered balcony make the cabin dark? I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks Marie2006

42451d9158755a57815393c4cdbf789f.jpg87f43cc1d6be70dcf599ce89ab573860.jpgd800aa5ea2d2b0b00855dfaa5c23a082.jpge8b9695cecc06c1369aad795f0964d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi these are a few photos of a sheltered balcony on QM2. There seems to be a 50/50 split likes and dislikes, the main dislike is that you have to stand up to see out! However you have better shelter in bad weather and fresh air. We have booked a Sheltered Balcony for the full Far East Voyage in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for the information which is very helpful. We are travelling in April so the weather will be hot. It might be better in cool weather. Thanks for posting the photos. The balcony view looks very obscured. Is the vessel in port or are there obstructions in front of the window?

marie 2006

As we can see from the photos, the balcony for these sheltered staterooms is noticeably bigger than the regular type (other than the Grills, of course). Another thing I like about them is the ledge which is convenient for placing a drink or a book. Being a little over six-feet tall I am able to see some of the ocean when sitting upright in a chair. Admittedly, anyone shorter would see only sky.

As Underwatr mentioned, most of the sheltered balconies do not have that vertical bar down the middle of the window opening as seen in Georgina1's photos. Cabin 6177 is one that does not have that vertical bar so that helps the view.

Regards, John

Here are my photos of a "Sheltered Balcony". They are noticeably larger than a standard glass-fronted balcony. They give far greater privacy, and are actually like having an extra room to the cabin. Decks 4, 5 & 6 are very handy for many of public rooms on board. I love the Sheltered Balconies (had one many times) and wouldn't hesitate to book one in the future.

QM2 BALCONY CABINS decks 4, 5, 6.

(that is the mast of a boat alongside in the last photo)

Hope this helps, have a great time.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I found the photos very helpful and also the information about the view and the balcony size. I look forward to the trip leaving Hong Kong for Dubai on March 27th 2018. Is anyone else on this voyage.

marie2006

I was in cabin 6192 a few weeks ago and loved it. Here is a little bit of advice if you enjoy coffee either order it from room service or bring your own and a French press the coffee they supply in the cabin is disgusting and another suggestion bring air freshener for your cabin just to freshen the air a little these items are on my list for my next trip.

MARIE 2006 We are on QM2 leaving H K on 3/31 and we go to Dubai --- + many other ports. You must be on QV or QE if you leave HK on 3/27. It will be a fabulous voyage ! (We did the same, 1/2 of the w/c, 2 yrs ago, on QE)

MARIE 2006 We are on QM2 leaving H K on 3/31 and we go to Dubai --- + many other ports. You must be on QV or QE if you leave HK on 3/27. It will be a fabulous voyage ! (We did the same, 1/2 of the w/c, 2 yrs ago, on QE)
Or the date quoted for leaving Hong Kong may be wrong? :confused:

On QE, 6177 is an inside cabin... and on QV, 6177 has a standard glass-fronted balcony.

Only on QM2 is 6177 a "sheltered balcony" cabin :confused:

I would imagine there is confusion over the sailing date?

Edited by pepperrn

Apologies for confusion over dates. We leave Sydney on 27/3 but only sail from Hong Kong on 31/3 on QM2 so should be on same cruise as hihilo. We are definitely in cabin 6177. Thanks Jeffery1950 I have taken your advice and bought a coffee maker for the trip.

marie2006

Apologies for confusion over dates. We leave Sydney on 27/3 but only sail from Hong Kong on 31/3 on QM2 so should be on same cruise as hihilo. We are definitely in cabin 6177. Thanks Jeffery1950 I have taken your advice and bought a coffee maker for the trip.

marie2006

marie2006 - QM2 has a kettle and cups in the cabin, much easier to pack those little Nescafe or Moccona sachets than pack a coffee maker [emoji57]

That’s our plan around NZ in February - sheltered Balcony 6204 too so enjoying this topic.

Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best thing about a sheltered balcony is that you can dry your washing outside without anybody seeing :D

How wonderful, never even gave that a thought, but so true. Will pack my little bag of clothes pegs [emoji6]

Hi Rose, We will look you up. You should be close to us.

If QM2 has a kettle, that's great. We did not have one on Queen Victoria.

Does anyone know if there is a magnifying mirror in the bathroom? Also, are the soft drinks in the fridge and bottled water free?

marie 2006