Marina restaurant dress code

rivieramayalover

No jacket needed. Every dining option is casual. At dinner, in the MDR and specialty restaurants, no shorts are allowed. If you don't want to wear long pants, eat in the buffet, waves, or room service. Most people dress smartly. You may see some people dressed up. It is your choice.

Most people dress smartly. You may see some people dressed up. It is your choice.

Last month, I felt very underdressed because I read that all restaurants were "resort casual." I didn't bring anything dressier than a black skirt and a polo shirt top. Wow...most women were dressed as if going to an fancy restaurant at home (not formal, but dressy). Now I know that in the MDR and specialty restaurants the dress is similar to Princess - much dressier than resort casual but not formal. I'll bring appropriate clothing next time.

• Like 1

Last month, I felt very underdressed because I read that all restaurants were "resort casual." I didn't bring anything dressier than a black skirt and a polo shirt top. Wow...most women were dressed as if going to an fancy restaurant at home (not formal, but dressy). Now I know that in the MDR and specialty restaurants the dress is similar to Princess - much dressier than resort casual but not formal. I'll bring appropriate clothing next time.

Go-Bucks - what was your itinerary? I have found that European itineraries on Oceania are maybe slightly dressier but not much. I haven't done Tahiti with Oceania (but did with Renaissance - it was pretty casual) but would imagine that dress standards would be similar to the Caribbean, which was pretty relaxed.

OP - one of the delights of Oceania is the lack of focus on fashion. Just bring your sparking personality and be, like, really smart! :)

I bring a blazer because I actually like wearing it (I can get by with a less-than-pressed shirt). But it's definitely neither required nor expected.

Edited by MarkieMarkNYC

We found that many men on the Papeete cruises wore Hawaiian or other loose fitting shirts, which seemed very appropriate for the climate. Others wore long sleeve dress shirts without ties. We seldom saw sport jackets. Women usually dressed as if they were going to a nicer restaurant at home. I usually bring an assortment of slightly dressy tops to go with a pair of black pants or a long black skirt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the 2/3/18 Papeete cruise and I'm wondering if my husband needs to bring a sport coat for the dinner restaurants.

I realize dress pants and shoes are required, but can he get by with button down collared dress shirts and no jacket?

No tie or jacket needed. A nice pair of pants and a short-sleeve shirt is fine.It is not a formal evening attire ship.

I, too, find this surprising and wonder about the cruise itinerary. Maybe this particular cruise was unusual ... Most women on our O cruises have NOT dressed as if going to a fancy restaurant. Maybe in the specialties but not in the GDR and definitely not in Terrace!

I like to wear some palazzo pants with a nice top to the restaurants, but definitely not dressy!

Mura

I never worry about what others wear as long as I am within the acceptable guidelines; I also don't worry about what others eat - those matters are their choices and thus their concerns, not mine.

Edited by Paulchili

I never worry about what others wear as long as I am within the guidelines

Ummm....women don't like to be either obviously over or under dressed. Guess it was just part of the learning process on a new-for-me cruiseline. Lesson learned.:cool:

I never worry about what others wear as long as I am within the acceptable guidelines; I also don't worry about what others eat - those matters are their choices and thus their concerns, not mine.

You perfectly expressed my views, Paul!

There are threads ad nausea on appropriate dress on Oceanaia.

Jackets are not required, but your husband will find 50% or greater of the gentleman do wear them to the Specialties. Typically,90% wear them to La Reserve.

I do find a majority of the ladies dress for the Specialties as if they are going to a fine dining restaurant, regardless if the tiny number of posters here personally don’t. The Ladies dressing nicely often pushes the gentleman up a notch. I take a sports jacket and wear it regularly.

• Like 1

On our last few cruises, we found that we were not so much surprised by people dressing nicely as we were by the absolutely slovenly people schlepping into the MDR in laggy jeans, ratty town shirts and nasty old ball caps. Ugh.

Yes, I guess I am a snob.

• Like 2

On our last few cruises, we found that we were not so much surprised by people dressing nicely as we were by the absolutely slovenly people schlepping into the MDR in raggedy jeans, ratty short sleeve shirts and nasty old ball caps. Ugh. Of course, no dress code is "enforced." That would be an insult to a paying customer.

Yes, I guess I am a snob.

There are threads ad nausea on appropriate dress on Oceanaia.

Jackets are not required, but your husband will find 50% or greater of the gentleman do wear them to the Specialties. Typically,90% wear them to La Reserve.

I am sure we have had this disagreement before but in my experience (nine cruise on O) Pinotlover's percentages are overstated. While it does vary with the itinerary I believe an average of 25% in the Specialties and 30-50% in La Reserve to be closer to to my experience.

The point being, if your husband chooses not to bring a sport jacket he will be in the majority:cool:.

Robbie

I am sure we have had this disagreement before but in my experience (nine cruise on O) Pinotlover's percentages are overstated. While it does vary with the itinerary I believe an average of 25% in the Specialties and 30-50% in La Reserve to be closer to to my experience.

The point being, if your husband chooses not to bring a sport jacket he will be in the majority:cool:.

Robbie

I agree. IME, men wearing jackets are in a definite minority on Oceania in all venues.

I agree. IME, men wearing jackets are in a definite minority on Oceania in all venues.

Also agree. Only place that a majority of the men wearing sport costs was if invited to dinner with the GM or the Capt. Me too. Just seems to be the right thing to do and most did the same. :):):)

I should have prefix my statement by saying I have never done a Carribe Cruise on O, so that “might “affect percentages.

Otherwise, people see what they want to see. On the Marina in November I went to two La Reserve dinners. At the first one all twelve gentlemen wore sports jackets. At the second, all but one did. Pretty much the same as i’ve Seen on past cruises. Some of us were talking and laughing afterwards about all the bling that was ablinging at dinner. Another participant heard us and said “Bling!, I didn’t see any bling!” Nope, bling never happens on Oceanla lol! Just ask those that choose not to wear it.

I should have prefix my statement by saying I have never done a Carribe Cruise on O, so that “might “affect percentages.

Otherwise, people see what they want to see. On the Marina in November I went to two La Reserve dinners. At the first one all twelve gentlemen wore sports jackets. At the second, all but one did. Pretty much the same as i’ve Seen on past cruises. Some of us were talking and laughing afterwards about all the bling that was ablinging at dinner. Another participant heard us and said “Bling!, I didn’t see any bling!” Nope, bling never happens on Oceanla lol! Just ask those that choose not to wear it.

And perhaps I should have noted in my remark that “all venues” possibly excluded La Reserve as I have only been to one dinner there in over 25+ O cruises.

That said, I would not want to bring a jacket just for 1 dinner unless I prefer to wear a jacket at most dinners.

And perhaps I should have noted in my remark that “all venues” possibly excluded La Reserve as I have only been to one dinner there in over 25+ O cruises.

That said, I would not want to bring a jacket just for 1 dinner unless I prefer to wear a jacket at most dinners.

Have you been to Privee? I would say that most wear a jacket in that venue also.

Have you been to Privee? I would say that most wear a jacket in that venue also.

The only time we dined there was with our family group.

All the men were from California - thankfully no jackets :D

No jackets required is one of the major reasons I started to and continue to cruise with Oceania.

That said, anyone who wants to wear one, please do.