Excursions Caribbean

CoSec

Hi, we are going on a 14 day Caribbean cruise on Odyssey in March. We have onboard credit on this sailing, which we haven't had for several years. It appears that, since we last had it, policy has changed and now if one books and pre-pays for excursions before sailing Seabourn will not then refund the payments out of your obc on the ship (which they did last time). Must say this seems mean. Obviously, the risk is that one waits to use the obc until we sail, only to find tours are no longer available as they are fully pre-booked. In some of the ports of call there are very few on offer Has anyone any experience as to how likely this is to be the case on such a Caribbean voyage?

We pre-booked our excursions on-line for our Antarctica cruise last month. We had checked with Seabourn in Seattle and were told we could pre-book and then get a refund onboard. On the Quest, we had no problem getting refunded from our OBC. The staff at Seabourn Square simply said "of course".

We had heard that if an excursion is fully booked, then you might be put on a wait list if you wanted to get refunded and rebook, but that never came up with us.

We are now on the Odyssey In the Caribbean and did not pre-book any shore excursion. They are all available!! Please note that many islands are DYO easy and you won’t need to pre plan an excursion. We’ve found out that half the ship is not interested in snorkeling nor catamaran excursions, so there will be space if you wait to pay with OBC. It’s been a wonderful cruise to date, hope yours will be too!

We are sailing on the Odyssey on 3rd Feb and have booked excursions now with the intention of being refunded and then having the cost taken from our OBC which we have done in the past. Hope this can still be done. Who said it can't?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Camillus112 - who is CD on the Odyssey?

I'm not Camillus112, but I can tell you that it is Chris, who was just promoted from Assistant CD on the last sailing. We loved him... British chap with a wicked sense of humor, pleasant temperament, and a wonderful operatic voice!

We have only sailed with Seabourn twice and have stayed in a Veranda suite. We have just had an offer from out TA offering an upgrade to these suites.

Upgrade for select bookings from your Veranda Suite to the following best available: Signature Suite (Category SS) for an additional 4599pp GBP Owners Suite (Category OW) for an additional 3199pp GBP Penthouse Spa Suite (Category PS) for an additional 2299pp GBP Penthouse Suite (Category PH) for an additional 1499pp GBP Veranda Suite (Category V6 to V5) for an additional 799pp GBP

Can anyone please tell me if its worth considering any of these at an additional cost please? What extras do you actually get? We really like Seabourn by the way over Regent or SS.

We are sailing on the 3rd March, (Barbados round trip) and are on an OB basis at present.

Thank you in anticipation.

We did an upgrade to a Spa Suite in Antarctica last year and loved every minute of it!!! There is something cool about the size - the view the amazing veranda and best the proximity to the real “core” of the ship along the circular stair!! No idea what “worth” the money is to any individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have only sailed with Seabourn twice and have stayed in a Veranda suite. We have just had an offer from out TA offering an upgrade to these suites.

Upgrade for select bookings from your Veranda Suite to the following best available: Signature Suite (Category SS) for an additional 4599pp GBP Owners Suite (Category OW) for an additional 3199pp GBP Penthouse Spa Suite (Category PS) for an additional 2299pp GBP Penthouse Suite (Category PH) for an additional 1499pp GBP Veranda Suite (Category V6 to V5) for an additional 799pp GBP

Can anyone please tell me if its worth considering any of these at an additional cost please? What extras do you actually get? We really like Seabourn by the way over Regent or SS.

We are sailing on the 3rd March, (Barbados round trip) and are on an OB basis at present.

Thank you in anticipation.

I wouldn't bother either for a short cruise, because the main benefit of any of these upgrades is space. And looking at those prices, you could get a 7 day cruise for what they're asking you to pay for the upgrade.

While I've never done a paid upgrade, on longer cruises I usually do book one of the premium suites but it's only for the extra space .For any cruise that's 21 days or less, I'm just as happy with a verandah suite.

As for the other benefits you get they are : included Wi-Fi, a Nespresso machine, a newspaper each morning, improved fruit selection. You'll receive an invitation to visit the bridge, but that's available on most cruises anyway, plus usually a private galley tour and it's supposed to include a personal visit to meet you by the Hotel Director. In my experience this can vary, on one cruise it was Colleen the lovely Guest Services Manager who met us on embarkation and then visited our suite, leaving her card in case there were any issues. Other times the HD has called us on the phone instead.Someone does always come to welcome you at check in but you may not see them again, depends on who the HD is!

As far as I'm aware, private car transfers aren't included if you're taking a paid upgrade to one of these suites. You may want to check that with your TA.

So, for me it's certainly not worth the paid upgrade. If I want one of those suites I book it right from the start, otherwise I usually take an OB.

NB - the above applies to the Wintergarden, Signature and Owner's suites which are the ones on the O class ships that SB considers to be 'premium'. I've never stayed in a Penthouse Spa suite so can't comment at all. I haven't been on the Encore so I don't even know what the suites set up is onboard.

Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated.

There are veranda suites on Deck 5, categories V1 and V2 that have part metal and part glass railings. Have you chosen your suite or are you on a guarantee? An OB would be a guarantee so you could get a stateroom on Deck 5.

Edited by oaktreerb

There are veranda suites on Deck 5, categories V1 and V2 that have part metal and part glass railings. Have you chosen your suite or are you on a guarantee? An OB would be a guarantee so you could get a stateroom on Deck 5.

I rather like the raiings on deck 5, more private when in port and nice shelving to place your :champagne-toast:drinks:D

Absolutely agree about deck 5 V2s.. Also provide some shade for legs. Plus, lower down and near middle = far less motion. On same deck as club, so convenient for staggering back at night. On same deck as the 'promenade', and laundry room. Also, at many ports, gangway is located on Deck 5. Finaly, from a personal point of view, I prefer to be closer to the sea, as one was on the little ships.

Just to get back to the original subject!.... we booked our shore excursions but after ringing Seabourn UK today we have had to cancel them and then will rebook once on board to be able to use our on board credit to pay for them. The system has changed. Hopefully we will be able to get what we want once on the ship.

1. On Odyssey Sept 2015 we were told we could not get credit card refunded excursion funds, they had to go to add on to OBC on the ship which we already had plenty of. On the Quest in 2016 and 2017 we could. Unclear why it goes back and forth.

2. What kind of excursions are available in Caribbean for people who neither snorkel nor swim nor sunbathe? We have mostly avoided that area because the focus is on those activities, though as seasoned cruisers we should probably check it out at some point. DH does not swim and we both have to avoid prolonged sunbaking for medical reasons.

There are quite a few island tours available with visits to producers, eg nutmeg producer. We had a walk booked to the Carbet Falls. If possible we will rebook this. We do feel that Seabourn excursions are reasonably priced, although that might be because, in this instance, it is the Caribbean. We have a tour booked with a local company on St Lucia - full day including lots of food and drink and entrance fees for $75 US pp.

There are quite a few island tours available with visits to producers, eg nutmeg producer. We had a walk booked to the Carbet Falls. If possible we will rebook this. We do feel that Seabourn excursions are reasonably priced, although that might be because, in this instance, it is the Caribbean. We have a tour booked with a local company on St Lucia - full day including lots of food and drink and entrance fees for $75 US pp.

Is that cosol tours by any chance? Used them twice. Very good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. On Odyssey Sept 2015 we were told we could not get credit card refunded excursion funds, they had to go to add on to OBC on the ship which we already had plenty of. On the Quest in 2016 and 2017 we could. Unclear why it goes back and forth.

2. What kind of excursions are available in Caribbean for people who neither snorkel nor swim nor sunbathe? We have mostly avoided that area because the focus is on those activities, though as seasoned cruisers we should probably check it out at some point. DH does not swim and we both have to avoid prolonged sunbaking for medical reasons.

Yes, the credit does go on as REFUNDABLE OBC. At the end of the cruise you simply go to Seabourn Square and get cash for any unused refundable OBC Think you can also have it go back to your credit card but, why do that and lose you credit card points?