QV Exoctic Voyage

LadyL1

So here we are again, back on the QV!

Yesterday we boarded this welcoming ship, but we are just going to Florida, where we will be staying for some time. The boarding was extremely well planned with such a high volume of Platinum and Diamond WC members taking this voyage. I do hope some others might might post on this thread as well.

The QE was in the western docks in S’ton and dropped her lines before us to come up the channel. We manoeuvred into Southampton Water with the QE unbelievably close (with tug assistance) behind for the firework display at about 6.15pm. There are some great pictures on Facebook. Prior to this on a freezing but clear and crisp evening, my husband and I joined the deck party on the back of deck 9 with other hardy souls, dancing away wrapped up in coats, hats gloves and scarves! Even the band looked as if they were wrapped up for the Arctic and playing with gloves on. We actually had a very memorable evening.

On leaving the Solent, it was a stormy evening as broadcast by Cmdr Rynd. During dinner when we were south of the Isle of Wight, we had the coastguard helicopter arrive for a medical evacuation. More on this can be found if you search the web, as it made at least one of the English daily newspapers.

This morning , there is just a gentle roll, but it is foggy and thankfully already a lot warmer than yesterday. The QE which is also bound for Bermuda 🇧🇲 is ahead of us I think, but not visible.

The day now stretches out before us, but hoping the lecturers are interesting. If the temperature rises a few more degrees an afternoon swim is a distinct possibility.

I hope you enjoy reading a précis of life on board the QV.

So here we are again, back on the QV!

Yesterday we boarded this welcoming ship, but we are just going to Florida, where we will be staying for some time. The boarding was extremely well planned with such a high volume of Platinum and Diamond WC members taking this voyage. I do hope some others might might post on this thread as well.

The QE was in the western docks in S’ton and dropped her lines before us to come up the channel. We manoeuvred into Southampton Water with the QE unbelievably close (with tug assistance) behind for the firework display at about 6.15pm. There are some great pictures on Facebook. Prior to this on a freezing but clear and crisp evening, my husband and I joined the deck party on the back of deck 9 with other hardy souls, dancing away wrapped up in coats, hats gloves and scarves! Even the band looked as if they were wrapped up for the Arctic and playing with gloves on. We actually had a very memorable evening.

On leaving the Solent, it was a stormy evening as broadcast by Cmdr Rynd. During dinner when we were south of the Isle of Wight, we had the coastguard helicopter arrive for a medical evacuation. More on this can be found if you search the web, as it made at least one of the English daily newspapers.

This morning , there is just a gentle roll, but it is foggy and thankfully already a lot warmer than yesterday. The QE which is also bound for Bermuda 🇧🇲 is ahead of us I think, but not visible.

The day now stretches out before us, but hoping the lecturers are interesting. If the temperature rises a few more degrees an afternoon swim is a distinct possibility.

I hope you enjoy reading a précis of life on board the QV.

great reporting!!! please keep it up so we can all live vicariously through your amazing trip.....thanks LadyL1

As we went to bed Monday evening we were making over 22knots and the wind was gusting at over 50 knots. Apparently many had an uncomfortable night! Some are showing the signs of “mal de mer”. The voyage information in our room is now showing that the seas have moderated a just little but expected to remain rough for some while. We are in cabin 4052 which I think is the most forward of the midship categories, so notice the movement more than our previous Caribbean trip, but it is all part of the fun and experience of a storm.

On a very positive note, we had one of he best tables in the Britannia restaurant this morning, being right at the back on starboard side with a perfect view of the QE. Even better, we were being served by Desiree, a South African lady, whom we have known for some years, our first meeting being in the Grills. It is just so nice to have this rapport with members of the crew. Warren, the ever smiling M’d also welcomed us again.

There is a wonderful mix of nationalities on board, something we like about the Cunard ships. The Dutch influence we noticed as we boarded, as a couple had their brand new bikes with them in the public lift.😯

Yesterday we listened to retired Ambassador Edward Peak (American) give his lecture on the meaning of Life and Culture: We were not sure how this would be. However, he was so so interesting and his objective was to make you THINK! A very clever man, who would make the most wonderful dining companion. Today we had the privilege to listen to cricketer David Gower, totalling absorbing in a sporting and humerous way. Looking forward to both the follow ups.

Tonight is the first formal, and I suspect there will be some empty tables: even now the ship appears rather quiet. Perhaps more chance of getting a seat in the Gin and Fizz bar, which seems ever more popular.

It has been an eventful 24 hours since my last post!

Before the evening began we bumped into David Gower and had a chat about broadcasting. This is his first time with Cunard, but sure it will not be his last. His lecture had a packed theatre, with everyone wanting to go to his next one.

Yesterday evening’s first formal, the black and white night, was as you would imagine with probably 90% of the ladies in dress of that theme. However, it looks good visually. We were informed there are 30 nationalities on board, and 1831 souls (a lot of singles). We just about managed to remain on our feet in the Queens Room in very heavy seas, and rather surreal that we could see the QE on the starboard side, knowing they where doing exactly the same. A very good meal followed, the scallops delicious, but I would hazard a guess that maybe 25% of the pax never made dinner. During the day it had been obvious that there were those suffering from the ocean movement.

And so to bed with the hope of getting some sleep, but that was wishful thinking. The ship certainly rocked and rolled, and everything that could rattle did so. Around 2.45 am we could hear an announcement from the bridge from the corridor speakers of an incident on deck 9, a potential electrical fire. This was shortly followed with a statement that the pax need take no action. A little while passed before all was pronounced safe. Just getting back to sleep when there was an emergency call for the medical team on deck 5.

Today we have awoken to a bright clear day, but the ocean is still agitated. No sign of the QE. We have managed a good few laps around deck 3, and certainly feel better for the exercise. At breakfast Cmdr Rynd announced that our call in Bermuda was to be abandoned because of the weather conditions, and rather than a trip to Florida without a stop, both QV and QE are going to call in the Azores. We have the better stop in Terceira (we were there last month having never been before) and QE goes to Ponta Delgada Garda. We arrive later today and will be in port overnight until 11.30am, so a good nights’ sleep beckons. We have been told to expect more storms after we leave. There is general disappointment around the ship at missing Bermuda, but Cunard are now busy trying to arrange shuttle buses for us, to enjoy the Azorean visit.

It has to be said that Cmdr Rynd is a man of the old cliche, cool, calm and collected. His general demeanour is wonderful, which I am sure is appreciated by the more nervous travellers. It is a pleasure to have him at the helm.

Thanks for the updates on what has turned out to be quite an eventful voyage so far. Too bad about the calls to Bermuda being cancelled. I was looking forward to seeing both QE and QV together on the Port Bermuda webcam.

I see QE has arrived in Ponta Delgada within the past hour and you are now only about an hour away from Praia da Vitoria.

I'm enjoying your postings and am looking forward to further updates.

Regards, John

Thursday is proving another challenge for the Cmdr.

We should have had time in port until noon, but at 7.15am he made a general announcement that due to the weather conditions we would get under way by 9.00am.

During breakfast the Cmdr made a further broadcast, advising on general safety in heavy weather and take your sea sick tablets now! His departing ditty, that we will be leaving something for the people of Praia de Vitoria: furniture on deck 9 had been blown over!

Nine o’clock went by and departure was aborted because of the squalls. We have not heard how the QE is making out.

We are now at sea after a very delicate operation to manoeuvre the QV away from the dockside. Here we saw containers being blown over! This is the sort of crossing for TA purists.

Last evening we ate in the lido, as it was an Indian themed evening, and what a wonderful repast was provided. This is a always a popular night to wend away from the MDR, but I am not sure I have ever seen so many do so. The show in the theatre (Cunard singers and dancers) was very well presented and enjoyable. Then we had a blissful sleep, which the majority of the ship seemed thankful for. The previous night it had been as if we were in a tumble dryer; warm and constantly in motion. I think tonight will be the same.

Thanks for the updates on what sure sounds like is proving to be a challenging crossing indeed so far. I can tell you QE is well ahead of you on her way to New York having departed Ponta Delgada last evening about 8:45pm local time according to what I am seeing on marinetraffic. Here's wishing you smoother sailing ahead for the rest of your voyage to Florida.

Regards, John

Edited by bluemarble

This morning we awoke to a brighter day, at least the sun was trying to make an appearance, but we still had a 9 meter swell. Last night the movement and noise had been terrific and the QV had at one point slowed from 20 knots to 12. At noon we were informed by the Cmdr that the swell would gradually abate and temperature slowly rise. It seems that all the outside decks are now open.

Not a lot to report, as it must be boring and reparative for you to read constantly of the inclement weather.

Tonight is the second formal evening, and the WC cocktail party. We will be giving this a miss and have a table booked in The Verandah. It should be quiet in either the Commodore Club or the Gin and Fizz bar, for a pre-dinner 🍸.

I think this is the longest time (since Sunday) that I have been on a ship and not managed a swim, but certainly hope this will be rectified soon, as I am not bothered by temperature. The midships pool is empty and the lido pool just fit for a paddle! Even at this depth it sloshing over the sides.

This afternoon my bed will be beckoning, as I am sure it will be for many other travellers, who had precious little sleep last night. The joys of a winter TA crossing!

The ship has settled into a more relaxed mode. For the Monty Python fans among you, there is now no ministry of “Silly Walks”, visible of those trying to get from A to B! Ahead is a pleasant day of cruising, Force 4 and temperature in low 70’s. The swimming pools are open and filled, thank goodness. I did manage 35 minutes in the pool on the aft deck yesterday afternoon, but it was so shallow.

Our dinner in The Verandah on Friday was excellent. Although 7 courses it is manageable, and the presentation wonderful as always. Most of the staff has changed from when we were there last, in December. The Swiss chef has gone (still on the QV) who we really liked. He would come around the tables to ensure everything was perfect, and he was so obliging in discussing the menu. Last night we tried the premium dining in The Lido, as it was a “Coriander” evening (Indian). The section was quite busy and the food delicious. The cost is $19.99 pp, but no complaints at that.

For the David Gower fans, I must report that he has been a huge success. We will be going to his Q&A with Sally Sago, as one can just imagine that his every answer will be yet another humorous story. FYI Henry Blofeld is on the QE, according to the Cunard lecture schedule.

Sent from my iPad

The last 3 days the open decks have been in constant use, although there have been times of mass exodus because of passing squalls.

Of course, this weather brings out the “cabana hoggers”! I have no idea what time they must hit deck 9, but their books are always left in extreme comfort by breakfast time. Another trait I have witnessed, is ladies who take the cushions from the wicker chairs then place them on the sun loungers and cover them in towels. How selfish can these people get? They just seem oblivious of the other 1800 guests who would like to share the facilities. That is my rant over for the day.🤨

It could be an interesting morning tomorrow, when we arrive in Port Canaveral for the customs procedure to begin. All those on tour tomorrow are requested to be in the Queens Room by 6.30 am. We have no plans to rush off the 🚢 as we will be staying in Florida for quite a while. The process is due to be finished by 12.30, but that is dependent on everyone following instructions, but that can be difficult for some. When we were there 2 years ago, I can remember queueing in the customs hall for hours!

Having just listened to the Cmdr’s noon announcement, we are are now off to The Verandah for lunch.

Really enjoying your posts LadlyL1

Oh ! don't get me started on those selfish folk who remove those cushions, just wait until thy remove those 'small glass top tables' ( in front of the wicker settee's) and use them for their own personal effects between their sun loungers, as I witnessed each day on my Caribbean trip the other month.:mad:

Is a very pleasant day, but the air has a slight chill, the breeze being from the north: temperature about 17 degrees. All should be back on board by 7.30pm tonight, so probably leaving soon after.

This QV trip is just about over, but we are not returning to the UK until the end of February.

This morning the processing through immigration and customs went reasonably well. We were queueing for just under an hour in the arrival hall. We did feel for some of the aged folk, as there is no opportunity to sit down whilst waiting. There were shuttle buses to Cocoa Beach, so took the opportunity to go and enjoyed a good promenade along the boardwalk that runs parallel to the beach. I did not realise there would be lifeguards on duty at this time of year, so was disappointed I did not bring swimming gear. The Atlantic looked inviting, unlike a week ago. As we knew that everyone had to get off the ship before any pax were allowed to return, we decided to have lunch out and found a good fish restaurant: the crab was excellent.

The US Coastguard also boarded today for a full inspection and were visible around the ship!

This morning the maintenance men were replacing a glass panel at the back of deck 9 which was smashed by moving furniture in the storms of last week. The gap had been covered and blocked by stored sun beds. Just testament to the storms we encountered!

Our last night in the theatre was to have the pleasure of listening to Craig Richard a young and talented jazz musician. His ability as a saxophonist amazing and good on the ebony keys as well as being able to sing. He was backed by the Royal Court Orchestra.

Finally, a few observations. There were a few small children on board, probably less than 10 in all. Three were of an officer’s family travelling with him. The dress code in the MDR has been observed, and those using the lido in less formal attire hardly ever seen the public areas. Cunard is still a bastion for more elegant evenings, and I hope it remains. Everything in life changes, hopefully this will not do so too much.

Nothing further booked for us at present, although we do hold a future cruise deposit, and have some ideas for next winter. A trip to the F1 in Melbourne combined with Australasian cruising beckons, but that involves some long flights😕. The anticipation of next winters’ sojourns will see us through the UK summer.

For any of you reading who are joining this ship for any part of the South American voyage, you have a lot to look forward to, and I am sure it will be memorable.

Thanks for taking the time to peruse my postings.

Sent from my iPad