Start them Early

elcuchio24

Hey guys,

We are looking at a cruise for next year. We have cruised previously with a three year old, but this one would be with a then 4 year old and about a year and a half old.

The 4yo, no worries. I am wondering if anyone has experience cruising disney with a 1-2 year old and the level/quality of child care coverage on the ship. Thanks!

The nursery on the ship is the best you'll find on any cruise line. The downside is that it is quite expensive. Children 0-2 pay only half of the cruise fare that is charged for a 3 year old, but their "programming" (nursery) is not included. You are able to book a limited number of nursery hours prior to your cruise. You can add hours on the second day if they are not booked up. The idea is to allow everyone to have the ability to book some hours before anyone books a lot of hours.

As to ease of managing child on board, they do everything for you...diaper genie emptied twice a day, whatever sort of food/puree the child is eating at the time made to your specifications, pack and play crib up and down as you specify (left up for nap or put away to have more space in room), etc.

We did our first Disney Cruise when we had 2.5 year old and 9 month old daughters. We had a great time and now we are doing a 7 day cruise with our (now) 3 daughters aged 6, 4, 2. We felt great about the care they were getting in the nursery. Of all the vacations I have been on DCL is most tailored for families traveling with young children. This benefits the parents as well as the children. I highly recommend.

After years of ignoring the child-related threads, I have to pay close attention to this one now. We're in the early stages of planning a cruise for June 2019 (once the dates come out) with a group that will include our by then 17 month old grandchild, a one-year old and a four-year old. I feel like a newbie all over again.

The nursery on the ship is the best you'll find on any cruise line. The downside is that it is quite expensive. Children 0-2 pay only half of the cruise fare that is charged for a 3 year old' date=' but their "programming" (nursery) is not included. You are able to book a limited number of nursery hours prior to your cruise. You can add hours on the second day if they are not booked up. The idea is to allow everyone to have the ability to book some hours before anyone books a lot of hours.

As to ease of managing child on board, they do everything for you...diaper genie emptied twice a day, whatever sort of food/puree the child is eating at the time made to your specifications, pack and play crib up and down as you specify (left up for nap or put away to have more space in room), etc.[/quote']

Awesome, thanks for the information. Do you recall what the cost of the nursery is? I could not easily find it on their site and dont feel like starting the call cycle with them quite yet. I dont think we would use it a ton, but certainly a couple/few hours a day for the baby. Thanks!

After years of ignoring the child-related threads, I have to pay close attention to this one now. We're in the early stages of planning a cruise for June 2019 (once the dates come out) with a group that will include our by then 17 month old grandchild, a one-year old and a four-year old. I feel like a newbie all over again.

We've cruised a couple of times already with our oldest, but in general on other lines 3 is about the youngest where they have good (and inclusive) structured activities. DSL is certainly #1 for providing care under 3. I think we will stick with DSL exclusively, at least for the next few years.

Its great taking the little ones, you get to experience all the wonder of a cruise trip anew through their eyes!:D

Awesome, thanks for the information. Do you recall what the cost of the nursery is? I could not easily find it on their site and dont feel like starting the call cycle with them quite yet. I dont think we would use it a ton, but certainly a couple/few hours a day for the baby. Thanks!

This is on the DCL web site as of today. Prices have increased thru the years, but the $9 per hour has been in effect for several years.

Reservations can also be made on a first-come, first-served basis during the open house on Embarkation Day or anytime throughout your cruise.

Childcare at “it’s a small world” nursery! is available at the following rates:

• $9.00 per hour for the first child
  • $8.00 per hour for any additional children in your family

Cancellations may be made without penalty 4 hours or more before your reservation time. No-shows will forfeit the entire cost of care for the time reserved while Guests who call to cancel fewer than 4 hours before their reservation time will forfeit half the cost of care.

This is on the DCL web site as of today. Prices have increased thru the years' date=' but the $9 per hour has been in effect for several years.

Reservations can also be made on a first-come, first-served basis during the open house on Embarkation Day or anytime throughout your cruise.

Childcare at “it’s a small world” nursery! is available at the following rates:

• $9.00 per hour for the first child
  • $8.00 per hour for any additional children in your family

Cancellations may be made without penalty 4 hours or more before your reservation time. No-shows will forfeit the entire cost of care for the time reserved while Guests who call to cancel fewer than 4 hours before their reservation time will forfeit half the cost of care.

Thank you MM! I feel, and I bet you know, thats a pretty small price to pay :p Appreciate the help.

Hi, you can book 18 hours of nursery time ahead of time. The slots on at sea days fill up quickly. And as said above, it is $4 a half an hour which I think is extremely reasonable.

The number of nursery hours you can book in advance depends on the length of your cruise. Yes, on a 7 night cruise it is 18 hours. On a 3 or 4 night cruise, it is 10 hours, and on a 12 or 14 night cruise, it is 35 hours. At least these were the limits the last time it affected me. Sorry, but I don't know what they do about cruises of 5, 10, or 11 nights--DCL does have a few of these, but they don't happen often.

The staff is great about allowing you to change your time slots--kids are funny and it is sometimes hard to predict your needs in advance. They will also allow you to add more hours on the second day or later IF they have spaces available. Embarkation day is the time that anyone who didn't get their hours in advance can book them.