Second Seating with a Toddler

ebbie1081

Hi All,

I just booked my first cruise on Disney Cruise Lines. I've sailed seven times with NCL in the past, but now that I have a three-year-old who loves "Hot Doggie" (hopefully someone gets that!), Disney is the only way for us to go.

I feel really disappointed, though, because we got the second seating time. It really took the wind out of my sails! (Pun intended) With a three-year-old, there is literally no way this will be feasible, even with a long nap and hearty snacks! I called today and was placed on the wait list.

My question is this: how likely is it that I'll get the main dining time on waiting list? The lady on the phone said it was likely we'd get it, but I wanted to see if anyone had real-life experiences!

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Second seating is the automatic default. Yes, the way to get moved to first (main, early) seating is to be placed on the waitlist. Provided you are a small group and your cruise isn't next week, there is a VERY good chance that you'll be moved to early. Also, "bother" them a little. Call once a month or so and ask if you've been moved. It only takes one CM who is willing to make the move for you while you are on the phone to make it happen. Otherwise, you sit on the list until the assigned CM "works" the list. I've had the CM on the phone say, "Oh, I can take care of that right now."

IF NOT, after boarding, go to the location listed on the Navigator for "Dining Changes" and make your case to the dining manager who is there. Again, if by some fluke you didn't get moved while on the list, there is a good chance of moving after boarding.

Real life experience--we've never failed to get a change that we requested.

I've done the toddler thing on 4 cruises now. The best thing for us to do is to feed them first and check them into the nursery or kids club (if 3+) or to have thier meal expedited/rushed. The expedited meal brings out thier food first so they can eat and then let you check them into the club or nursery. I don't know many kids that will sit thru an hour long dinner.

A few times we ordered room service it grabbed food from the pool deck for the kids to eat while we cleaned up for the formal night dinner.

Edit:

I see that yours is 3y. I would do the expedited meal and check them into the club when they are done. If you get switched to the first seating, the club councilors will pickup a group of kids from the dinning rooms.

Also even if it's not listed you can get Mickey ice cream bars for the desert.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edit:

I see that yours is 3y. I would do the expedited meal and check them into the club when they are done. If you get switched to the first seating, the club councilors will pickup a group of kids from the dinning rooms.

Also even if it's not listed you can get Mickey ice cream bars for the desert.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unless things have changed, the "Dine and Play" program (where the YACs come to the dining room to take kids to the programming) happens only at LATE dining. However, there is essentially no difference between this program and what parents have done for almost 20 years.

As you noted, ask the server to expedite the child's food. When the child has eaten, one parent excuses themselves (typically between courses) and takes the kid to the programming area. Mom and dad can then finish their meal without the stress of entertaining a child for the duration of a 90 minute meal, During late dinner, the YACs come to the dining room and will sign the kids into programming from there, during main seating mom or dad has to take the child to the programming.