Oceana wine package

jgw321

I am new to this line and on reading their web site it seemed that you had to chose which wines you wanted in advance when you buy a wine package. I am used to choosing my wines after I have seen the menu and decided what I will eat. I know that you can drink red wine with fish, but I prefer not to. Is there a package where you pay for 7 wines but chose them on the day, or an option to buy by the bottle as you go along?

I am new to this line and on reading their web site it seemed that you had to chose which wines you wanted in advance when you buy a wine package. I am used to choosing my wines after I have seen the menu and decided what I will eat. I know that you can drink red wine with fish, but I prefer not to. Is there a package where you pay for 7 wines but chose them on the day, or an option to buy by the bottle as you go along?

When you buy either of the Beverage Packages on Oceania the wine selection consists of any wine which is offered by the glass on the Bar menus. Bottle service is specifically excluded from these plans.

Any bottles which you may purchase from the ship (outside of the Packages) which remain unfinished will be stored in their wine cellars and may be called for again.

Edited by StanandJim

Any unfinished bottles which you may purchase from the ship (outside of the Packages) will be stored in their wine cellars and may be called for again.

Can the remainder be brought back to the cabin?

Or rather delivered? I don't think I want to walk around the ship with a bottle!

Can the remainder be brought back to the cabin?

Or rather delivered? I don't think I want to walk around the ship with a bottle!

You call for it wherever you want to drink it, be that a restaurant, a lounge, a bar, or your stateroom, and it will be served properly and beautifully.

wine.jpg

Oceania is a class act :)

You call for it wherever you want to drink it, be that a restaurant, a lounge, a bar, or your stateroom, and it will be served properly and beautifully.

wine.jpg

Oceania is a class act :)

That sounds wonderful!

We purchased the 7-bottle wine package on embarkation day. It was a specific list and not the much larger list that is available in the dining rooms and specialties. At dinner we would then choose which of those 7 bottles we would like for that meal. I think these may have been wines that they had an oversupply of and were trying to unload but we found them all to be pretty good and the prices were reasonable. This was over a year ago and the wine package may have changed, but this is how it worked then.

The "7 wines package" you mention is a wine by the bottle package that is offered on the day of boarding and only that day- you are given a list of red and white wines that you must select not more and not less than 7 bottles to be used during the cruise- price per bottle is around $48, including gratuity. These wines are different than the "by the glass" wine package that is offered in a choice of 2 packages. The 7 bottle package is also different from the wine by the bottle menu that is offered in each of the restaurants with prices ranging from about $40 to over $100, plus gratuity.

I'd rather bring my own wine on board and pay the $25 corkage fee than buy the 7 bottle package of wines that generally retail for less than $12 in US stores.

I see from another thread that you stated that you are looking at sailing on Marina out of Southampton- I certainly would bring my own wine on board since you have local sources for good wines. We did that cruise in 2015 (12 days then) and brought 6 bottles of wine on board at Southampton and replenished at a number of other ports. We sailed again in July 2017 from Southampton to Norway - brought our own wine on board again.

Edited by arima22

I'd rather bring my own wine on board and pay the $25 corkage fee than buy the 7 bottle package of wines that generally retail for less than $12 in US stores.

This is something that I have had to get used to; that the prices are restaurant prices, not high street prices. On other cruise lines we have used they have had either a no wine, or 1 bottle per passenger policy for embarkation. We have a decent cellar at home with some good wines (2004 Ch Nf du Pape) so a corkage fee is painless for me.

Thank you for your comments, and the others who replied, you have put my mind at rest.

I have now found a similar cruise on the Nautica in September. We know the R class ships well, many cruises on Ocean Princess, now Serina, and also on the Pacific Princess. I may settle for Marina which is bigger so might appear more roomy. Other lines pack 2000+ passengers into a ship of that size.

The "7 wines package" you mention is a wine by the bottle package that is offered on the day of boarding and only that day- you are given a list of red and white wines that you must select not more and not less than 7 bottles to be used during the cruise- price per bottle is around $48, including gratuity. These wines are different than the "by the glass" wine package that is offered in a choice of 2 packages. The 7 bottle package is also different from the wine by the bottle menu that is offered in each of the restaurants with prices ranging from about $40 to over $100, plus gratuity.

I see from another thread that you stated that you are looking at sailing on Marina out of Southampton- I certainly would bring my own wine on board since you have local sources for good wines. We did that cruise in 2015 (12 days then) and brought 6 bottles of wine on board at Southampton and replenished at a number of other ports. We sailed again in July 2017 from Southampton to Norway - brought our own wine on board again.

The seven bottle deal may sometimes include a bargain (really does depend on what they may be trying to unload. While true that most of the items would retail at Safeway or BevMo for $12+\-, I've found an occasional $20 bottle in list of offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The seven bottle deal may sometimes include a bargain (really does depend on what they may be trying to unload. While true that most of the items would retail at Safeway or BevMo for $12+\-, I've found an occasional $20 bottle in list of offerings.

If it's a long cruise (3+ weeks) with a wine savvy embarkation port, we'll carry aboard a mixed case, split into two (2) winery 6 pack handled carry cases (which easily breakdown for transport in checked baggage). Once wine is purchased and packed, they are easily transported (one each on top of our small profile roll-aboards in which we carry important personal items). At the end of the cruise, we toss the carry cartons (we have a stock of them at home). Having done some pre-cruise research, we also know which ports will have a good selection of readily available GOOD wine. Given the price range of our preferences, the corkage for those we buy in port and bring to dinner is not a major concern.

If the onboard "seven bottle" deal has at least a couple of decent options, we may take the deal, though it may only be for the one or two decent varietals.

Since we also enjoy the "occasional" cocktail, we weigh how much wine we'll cart/buy vs whether to take the premier booze package. On the longer cruises, we tend to not do the package - just too enticing for something that might have you drinking for weeks on end.

Fortunately, I know my limit. My problem, however, is that I usually pass out before I reach it. [emoji485][emoji102][emoji6]

My other problem is that, when the bartender asks me "what'll it be?", I often answer: "one too many!" [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

JUST KIDDING FOLKS!

fortunately, i know my limit. My problem, however, is that i usually pass out before i reach it.

My other problem is that, when the bartender asks me "what'll it be?", i often answer: "one too many!"

lol

Thanks for the extra replies. If we book we will take 4 of our own on at embarkation, and then supplement from the wine menu. The sample selection they have on their web site for the 7 bottle package had some nice wines, but then they would choose a good one to advertise. What is available on the day is what matters, but I'd rather drink my own wine anyway. I am glad to see that they allow wine to brought on board. I can't understand why others are so restricted, they make pure profit on the corkage.

Thanks for the extra replies. If we book we will take 4 of our own on at embarkation, and then supplement from the wine menu. The sample selection they have on their web site for the 7 bottle package had some nice wines, but then they would choose a good one to advertise. What is available on the day is what matters, but I'd rather drink my own wine anyway. I am glad to see that they allow wine to brought on board. I can't understand why others are so restricted, they make pure profit on the corkage.

BTW - you can also bring spirits onboard (but only for consumption in the cabin.

I found your post very helpful and interesting - many thanks but I would love to ask another question please. For the first time I hear there are wine lists in all the restaurants. Woud you comment please on the standard? Is the $40 entry equivalent to those in the 7 botttle package and is the $100 bottle a much higher standard. Sorry that's 2 questions.:):)

I found your post very helpful and interesting - many thanks but I would love to ask another question please. For the first time I hear there are wine lists in all the restaurants. Woud you comment please on the standard? Is the $40 entry equivalent to those in the 7 botttle package and is the $100 bottle a much higher standard. Sorry that's 2 questions.:):)

A very rough generalization here:

Not unlike some other cruise lines, figure that a bottle of wine purchased on an Oceania ship is marked up anywhere from 250 to 350+% more than its MSRP. So, a $20 retail selection at home might be priced at $70+ onboard.

Of course, at home (at least in California), you can probably find that $20 RETAIL bottle for 10+\-% less quite easily.

In any case, the "7 bottle deal" often found on O ships, which we all know are wines they need to unload (for whatever reason), are priced at somewhere <$50/bottle (if I remember correctly, it includes gratuity[?]) for a package of 7 bottles picked from an everchanging list. On that list, however, are often bottles of different retail value. I've seen them range from <$10 retail to about $20 retail. (If there's a good choice or two - value/quality - we'll buy the 7 bottles but limit it to the one or two "better" wines.

We occasionally will buy the 7 bottle package to bolster what we bring onboard (carried onboard being subject to $25/bottle corkage) since wines-by-the-glass, which are included in booze packages also vary in quality and value.

The best wine-by-the-glass quality/value we've found is the Mirabelle sparkling wine. Of course, it often disappears quickly.

Where's the booze package in all this? We'll usually buy the premium package $60/day pp on cruises of 2 weeks +\- but not longer. Just too easy to drink too much over a long period.

Final thought: if I'm carting wine onto a ship and paying $25 corkage, yo can bet that it won't be "rot gut" (nor will it cost $150+, which is what the ship would be charging).

Actually, you can buy the 7 bottle package throughout the cruise. In fact you can buy multiples of the package - what you can't do is add bottles to a single 7 bottle package.

Hi Flatbush - thanks for the update. You've cleared that there will be "better" wines in the restaurant, at a price of course, :-) . But it's a great help to know its possible you can buy before you go onboard and pay the corkage. I need make sure I pickup a ship in places where wine is easy to buy, like your place and mone. Thanks again

If I do bring wine aboard and pay the corkage fee, if for some reason we do not finish the bottle at one sitting- will it be kept for me as they keep the wines you purchase onboard? Looking forward to a Sirena cruise of Cuba this summer and I really appreciate your help! Thank you.

If I do bring wine aboard and pay the corkage fee, if for some reason we do not finish the bottle at one sitting- will it be kept for me as they keep the wines you purchase onboard? Looking forward to a Sirena cruise of Cuba this summer and I really appreciate your help! Thank you.

Yes. But the bigger question is: why would you not finish the bottle at one meal???[emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji102][emoji106]

Hi Flatbush - thanks for the update. You've cleared that there will be "better" wines in the restaurant, at a price of course, :-) . But it's a great help to know its possible you can buy before you go onboard and pay the corkage. I need make sure I pickup a ship in places where wine is easy to buy, like your place and mone. Thanks again

The sample wine menus for each restaurant are listed on the Oceania site- the basic wines listed for the GDR and Terrace are the same for every restaurant, but each specialty restaurant has a few of their own in addition to the basic. Click on each restaurant and see the sample food menus and wine menus in the lower right side.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/

Yes. But the bigger question is: why would you not finish the bottle at one meal???[emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji102][emoji106]

It is certainly good to have goals! However don't be afraid to think big - finishing a full bottle at a meal doesn't mean there won't be part of another bottle left lol ;)

Don't worry, like Mura I don't actually drink *that* much wine at a dinner on my own - but if you have two (or more) different wines going it is pretty easy not to finish both bottles even with multiple imbibers. Imagine a white with your fish course and red with your main course etc. I wouldn't recommend trying to hold-over a sparkling wine though!

The sample wine menus for each restaurant are listed on the Oceania site- the basic wines listed for the GDR and Terrace are the same for every restaurant, but each specialty restaurant has a few of their own in addition to the basic. Click on each restaurant and see the sample food menus and wine menus in the lower right side.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/

Hi Arema

So helpful Arema. Many thanks. Thats information that Oceania here could not come up with. On board I suppose the list is priced. :)