Trying to convince my brother in law that Seabourn is the way to go for Transatlantic

SLSD

My brother in law is visiting and mentioned that he would like to take a Transatlantic Cruise on the QE2 instead of flying to Europe the next time he and his wife plan a trip. He said that his wife (my sister in law) was not interested in a cruise, but he thinks it would be a great way to travel and avoid jet lag.

My ears instantly perked up. How much fun if my husband and I took a transatlantic cruise with his brother! But then, we started talking. I explained that the QE2 is a very large ship with a lot of passengers and that it is a ship with classes and that he would probably be nickel and dimed all along the way and be subject to lines, qualifying for only certain dining rooms, etc. etc. He said, "Can I just take my own wine on board?" I don't know the answer to that question, but explained how much nicer it is to be on a smaller ship with fewer passengers and where everything is included.

I would love it if you experienced cruisers could give me a list of all the pluses for sailing transatlantic on Seabourn instead of the QE2. My brother in law has never been on a cruise and is looking at it as transportation. The rest of us know better. He can well afford Seabourn and I think he would love it if he tried it. But then, there is the single supplement if my sister in law refused to sail. Maybe she WOULD sail if she had enough good reasons to do it.

What do you think?

We’ve only done transpacific on Seabourn (wonderful, but not first timers), not transatlantic. We’ve also done two transatlantics on the QM2 (assume that’s what you meant :-) ). It’s not a bad idea to start with a QM2 crossing. It’s different, it’s huge and it’s relatively short. You can treat it as a luxury ferry or just a getaway. If Seabourn is affordable you could consider going grill class or club balcony, which have open dining times. I prefer Seabourn but I’m glad we had the QM2 experience first as a baseline and would do a crossing again if the timing was good (we’ve looked into it a few times and it hasn’t worked, alas.). And as a crossing there are no port related issues. They do have some deals that are (lower priced-)drink and gratuity inclusive. When we went (a few years ago- policies might have changed) there were corkage fees but bringing on wine wasn’t a problem and it was a cost effective option.

Bon voyage!

My brother in law is visiting and mentioned that he would like to take a Transatlantic Cruise on the QE2 instead of flying to Europe the next time he and his wife plan a trip. He said that his wife (my sister in law) was not interested in a cruise, but he thinks it would be a great way to travel and avoid jet lag.

My ears instantly perked up. How much fun if my husband and I took a transatlantic cruise with his brother! But then, we started talking. I explained that the QE2 is a very large ship with a lot of passengers and that it is a ship with classes and that he would probably be nickel and dimed all along the way and be subject to lines, qualifying for only certain dining rooms, etc. etc. He said, "Can I just take my own wine on board?" I don't know the answer to that question, but explained how much nicer it is to be on a smaller ship with fewer passengers and where everything is included.

I would love it if you experienced cruisers could give me a list of all the pluses for sailing transatlantic on Seabourn instead of the QE2. My brother in law has never been on a cruise and is looking at it as transportation. The rest of us know better. He can well afford Seabourn and I think he would love it if he tried it. But then, there is the single supplement if my sister in law refused to sail. Maybe she WOULD sail if she had enough good reasons to do it.

What do you think?

Ok! Perhaps I am off base. I want to hear about your experiences on the QE2. Please elaborate. What do I know? And if you know anything about a single passenger's fare on the QE2, please tell us

We did this about 2 years ago on the Queen Mary. I did enjoy it but we don't like big ships and the ship is very large. Cunard did a good job and we don't drink much, so dealing with that was not an issue. We also did Cunard this past summer to Iceland and enjoyed it as well.

However, having said that, we probably would not do Cunard again. The ships are just way too big! You almost have to plan your route to avoid walking and walking!

Would definitely do Seabourn given the chance...

If your brother in law thinks these ships are only about transportation then I wouldn’t bother trying to convince him otherwise. But if he shows any interest you can direct him to the Cunard and Seabourn websites so he can at least get started with his research as to what’s involved. If he does not want to bother then why waste your time?

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham, We just thought it would be fun to sail with my brother in law because we enjoy his company. It will probably not happen because we are never going to sail on a large ship like the Queen Mary and he doesn't really understand the beauty of all inclusive and smaller. Roxburgh, did you sister say what in particular she liked about her Transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary?

Markham, We just thought it would be fun to sail with my brother in law because we enjoy his company. It will probably not happen because we are never going to sail on a large ship like the Queen Mary and he doesn't really understand the beauty of all inclusive and smaller. Roxburgh, did you sister say what in particular she liked about her Transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary?

I think she found it relaxing, she enjoyed some of the activities, especially the lectures and she loved arriving with no jet lag.

Wish the QE2 was still in service- guess we’ll have to put up with the QM2!

The baseline comparison is that Queens Grill accommodation on the QM2 is very similar to the Seabourn experience (albeit being a small bubble on a much larger ship instead of everyone being treated the same on a smaller Seabourn ship). Cunard owned and ran Seabourn for quite some time which is why the Grills share a lot of DNA. Grills accommodation on Cunard also now include free alcohol and the dining experience is very similar in that you can order off menu and there is a large separate a la carte menu every night. Table side preparation is also part of the Queens Grill experience as on Seabourn.

If it’s transportation you want the Queen Mary 2 is designed as a transatlantic express ship capable of crossing between New York and England in 6 days (although she usually takes 7 these days). She is designed to handle the often rough seas of the North Atlantic comfortably. The Seabourn ships are not designed this way and are much slower and with their flat bottoms are not capable of handling rough conditions well.

I mostly sail Seabourn- they are favorite of ours and we love everything about them. But for a transatlantic trip looked at as transportation? QM2 in Queens Grill gives you basically the same Seabourn experience (in terms of things included and quality of dining) on a ship that’s built for crossing an ocean quickly and comfortably.

Thank you princeton12321. That is a very good explanation. I would not care about crossing quickly, but comfortably would be a good thing.

You wouldn’t want to be in 30 ft seas in the middle of the North Atlantic on Seabourn Quest- things would be a mess. 30 ft seas wouldn’t spill a drop of your martini on QM2.

Just the same as I would be hard pressed to find a cruise I would want to take on the Queen Mary 2 where I could take a small Seabourn ship into smaller ports with fewer people.

We've crossed the Atlantic many times on the Queen Mary 2 and have loved the experience, or at least most of the experience. We also had a wonderful time on Seabourn crossing the Pacific and would love to cross the Atlantic on Seabourn, but their itineraries are not compatible with our needs. Seabourn does not have many Atlantic crossings, and what they do have start in odd ports such as in the Caribbean. Unhappily we have never found a Seabourn crossing that starts and ends in logical places, but we keep looking.

Queen Mary is not Seabourn. It's a huge ocean liner and is built to handle the high seas of the North Atlantic. One crosses on the QM2 to get between Brooklyn and Southampton in only 7 days at a reasonable cost. While on board there are lots of activities such as enrichment lectures and excellent jazz every night in a beautiful bar. The ship is very grand and beautiful. Some folks love the dress-up aspect, me not so much. Food quality and service on the QM2 cannot match Seabourn, and Cunard is not all-inclusive, so one does spend money on gratuities and drinks. You can bring your own wine on the Queen Mary, as much as you want. Corkage fees in the restaurants, no fees if you drink in your cabin.

If you want to cross the Atlantic by ship and avoid the horrible air experience, Queen Mary 2 works. I recommend it, but don't expect luxury or perfection. If you can find a Seabourn transatlantic itinerary that works for you, congratulations, and let me know. I have not found one, but would love to do so.

While Queens Grill cabins and food are comparable to Seabourn’s you will find a world of difference in the execution. It’s up to you if you let it matter.

For example, in QG you will sit at the same table for your 3 meals all the time and cannot invite others to join unless you go to a surcharge restaurant. And you will pay for tips, water, booze and laundry even if you are their top tier as we are. Oh, and any on board credit you have will have to spent before the only benefit the top tier gets is activated- a 10% reduction in laundry. Then there is the spa with treatments higher that Seabourn.

Nothing in common with the luxury of Seabourn. And when you put what you get on both lines per day (also look at Princess Grill PG) I expect you will find Seabourn is a bargain.

But QM2 is unique and interesting. Certainly worthy of one crossing and certainly not so for a cruise when Seabourn is an option. Note that the crossings are now 7 nights whereas the QE2 and QM2 until recently were 6. For me 2 months ago on our crossing that was just one day toooo long.

We took the QM2 crossing from Southampton to New York City n 2014 as transportation. We had been on a Crystal World Cruise and the timing worked out well to cross back with the QM2 which we had never sailed.

We were in Queens Grill and would not recommend anything other then Queens or Princess Grill for those who want a luxury dining experience.

We liked the dining room and that we had the table for the own evening so we could come when we wanted but had the benefit of having the same wait staff. Maitre d' was terrific and cooked some items for us. Enjoyed the ambience of the Queen Grill. One of our finer dining experiences ever at sea.

Also liked the concierge lounge and their ability to do certain things for us. For example they have a Planetarium which we did enjoy and you could get tickets there rather then waiting on a very long line.

Suite was nice but it was a year before dry dock so some areas worn. I believe this has been redone.

Based on recommendations which turned out to be correct we had all our meals in the Queens Grill because dining in other ares would clearly not have been fine dining. So down side if you like to dine in other areas is that it would be a big step down.

They have redone it which they needed to but they have an enormous (and I mean enormous) areas for food that is buffet style. I would only go there very early in the AM before most people were up to get coffee but the entire area looked old and dirty even though it may have been clean. As I said they have redone that area so hopefully it is better.

The main reception area has the look of a very traditional hotel.

We like to walk but it was way too cold to walk outside other then the last day so we would walk the inside of the ship and you really could because there were several decks that we not on passenger decks where one could walk and also look at all of the photos and writings about the history of Cunard and the QM2 and the original Queen Mary.

Lectures were very good and comparable to a luxury line and they also offered a good deal of other enrichment.

They had a special lounge for those in Queens and Princes Grill where we would go for a pre dinner drink.

With this said when you were not dining or in your suite or at the concierge lounge, or the other lounge I mentioned you were one of several thousand passengers so crew will not know you and obviously service in those areas was not very personal. Butler we had was not a butler. Mainly someone who was a senior steward cleaning the room and attending to a few other items.

The few bottles of wine provided in the room were really bad. They were a cunard brand and I would equate them to the cheapest wine you could buy. Not good.

Overall we're glad we did this one time. I probably would do another crossing just for the transportation but my wife does not want to do it so it's clear we won't be doing it again.

I would never take a sailing on a ship this size where you stop at ports.

The butler did end our sailing on a poor note. I believe they wanted you out of your rooms by 7:30 AM. Might have been 8:00 AM. We had the do not disturb sign on and at 6:30 AM he knocked on the door. Couldn't believe this. He wanted to know if he could start to get the room ready since this was disembarkation day. I said we would be out of the room by the required time but asked that he wait till then. Well about 30 minutes before the required time he knocked again even though I had the do not disturb sign on. This was truly poor service.

In short, I am glad we sailed QM2 and as I said we viewed it as transportation. One time was good but unless there is an issue preventing flying we won't be doing it again.

If you want a luxury experience throughout the ship this is not for you.

If you understand that even with say Queens Grill that you will have a hybrid experience then consider giving it a try.

As mentioned earlier it is built for crossings and does very well in the open sea.

Keith

I knew I could learn what I needed to know by asking this question here. Thank you everyone for the very complete explanations. I do't think the QM is for me, but I will pass along the information to my brother in law. One thing I haven't asked is---doesn't anyone know what the single supplements are like on the QM? I don't think my sister in law is willing to sail with him--and he might not find it economical transportation if he has to pay double.

As for my husband and me, we would love reading about the historical aspects of the Cunard Line while walking the inside of the ship, but I don't think we would enjoy eating in the same dining room for every meal. And, the idea of a ship with classes just doesn't work for us. After sailing only Seabourn and Silver Sea, the comparison would not be a good one.

If anyone else has comments, I would enjoy reading them.

I knew I could learn what I needed to know by asking this question here. Thank you everyone for the very complete explanations. I do't think the QM is for me, but I will pass along the information to my brother in law. One thing I haven't asked is---doesn't anyone know what the single supplements are like on the QM? I don't think my sister in law is willing to sail with him--and he might not find it economical transportation if he has to pay double.

As for my husband and me, we would love reading about the historical aspects of the Cunard Line while walking the inside of the ship, but I don't think we would enjoy eating in the same dining room for every meal. And, the idea of a ship with classes just doesn't work for us. After sailing only Seabourn and Silver Sea, the comparison would not be a good one.

If anyone else has comments, I would enjoy reading them.

The QM2 has quite a few singles cabins so there is no supplement for these- you just pay the asking rate and they are designed for single occupancy.

Just to clear up one thing that was mentioned above- Cunard now includes open bar for Queens and Princess grill passengers.

In regards to what you mention about the “class system”- there isn’t one. If you’re picturing what you see in the movie Titanic with barriers and such that went away a long time ago. The last gasps of it were on QE2 at the beginning of her career but even then it was very subtle. QM2 isn’t segregated in any way except for dining rooms and one lounge (much like a club lounge at any hotel you stay in). Aside from that everything is on a fairly even footing.

Ok! Perhaps I am off base. I want to hear about your experiences on the QE2. Please elaborate. What do I know? And if you know anything about a single passenger's fare on the QE2, please tell us

You do know that I was posting ironically as the QE2 now sits abandoned somewhere in Dubai. What I was longing for was that as the last true ocean liner, (QM2 has the hardware of an ocean liner but QE2 provided the software as well) it was an experience sadly no longer available on the seven seas today.

prince12321, Thank you for the additional information. I've never seriously considered sailing on the Cunard line so I didn't really know what was involved. I STILL don't think I will seriously consider it--but it may be fun for my brother in law and he will probably be doing it alone.

Interesting- it wouldn’t be my first choice to do again but if my sister and her husband wanted to go I’d go just to be able to hang out with them and have an ocean view. Don’t a lot of Seabourn people do extended family trips on other lines? Just like sometimes one might eat at Per Se, or French Laundry, sometimes (mostly!) at a more casual place.

There was also a segregated sun deck for grill people, not used much.

My favorite spot on the ship was the game tables next to picture windows near sea level on one of the lower decks. Mesmerizing place to try to read a book. Second favorite was the 1/3 of a mile promenade deck.

prince12321, Thank you for the additional information. I've never seriously considered sailing on the Cunard line so I didn't really know what was involved. I STILL don't think I will seriously consider it--but it may be fun for my brother in law and he will probably be doing it alone.

Cunard does NOT include free drinks for QG and PG passengers! So no

comparison to Seabourn or Silversea.

Just look at the May 2018 transatlantic on their website to see what they do:

♦ Free Drinks offer applies to all drinks $12 and under purchased on board during the cruise. The promotion applies to new Grill Suite bookings made by February 28, 2018. Valid only on voyages included in this promotion. Guests under 18 years of age (21 years of age while in US ports or territorial waters) may only purchase nonalcoholic drinks on this promotion. Drinks under this promotion can be purchased and consumed free of charge by the participant only and may not be purchased for people who are not booked on the promotion. Drinks priced above the threshold shown above must be purchased at full price. Paying the difference between the threshold and the higher price is not permitted. The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard. This promotion does not apply to drinks ordered as room service or in room mini bar (except Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drink packages. Cunard operates a Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy. Offer applies to the first two guests sharing a stateroom. No cash value.

Want wine with lunch or dinner or a drink that they price above $12? Pay up.