Avalon Budapest Food and Culture Walk Excursion

gladgirl

Great! Would it be a good assumption to think they will take us through the big food market hall?
Yes. Ours went to a smaller market than the Central Market but, while there, we tasted local cheeses and sausages. If the Avalon ship docks downtown the Central Market is a block away. If you are beginning or ending in Budapest and adding non-ship days, I also recommend the Jewish Heritage Tour we booked through Viator.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying!

Yes. Ours went to a smaller market than the Central Market but, while there, we tasted local cheeses and sausages. If the Avalon ship docks downtown the Central Market is a block away. If you are beginning or ending in Budapest and adding non-ship days, I also recommend the Jewish Heritage Tour we booked through Viator.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We didn't sail with Avalon so can't really answer your question, but Viking had an optional tour that included the market, but we were staying in Budapest a few days post cruise and I arranged for a great market tour and cooking lesson (you can do either one or both as we did) and it was the highlight of our time in Budapest. As I recall, the price for our tour was about half of what Viking was asking...so for the same price we got the tour and the cooking lesson at the guide's apartment later. We made three or four dishes which became our lunch. Needless to say, after the market tastings and then the big late lunch, we didn't have supper that night!

The main market is amazing and having someone who knows the vendors and can tell you about what you are tasting was wonderful. I'd highly recommend going with a guide. If Avalon just takes you there and drops you off, I don't think it would be as enjoyable.

Have a great cruise!