Some Questions from a First Timer

brazilgirl

We had booked a cruise in 2016 on the Insignia, but ended up switching to a cruise on Crystal. We are excited about our first cruise on Oceania which I booked today... a lovely Caribbean cruise in January on the Riviera that visits a few ports which are new to me including San Juan, Gustavia ( St Barts) and Castries ( St Lucia), St Marteen and the private island in the Bahamas which belongs to NCL. We visited Antigua on our honeymoon and will revisit it.

Some questions from an Oceania “newbie”

1) I know that there is no formal night. Is there any evening that the dinner in the MDR is more “special” and should not be missed?

2) I have read lovely comments about the string quartet. Is there any venue which has a “sing along” pianist similar to the Avenue Salon on Crystal or Michael’s Bar on Celebrity? What is the entertainment like?

3) Does the library have a good selection of DVDs?

4) are sun loungers easy to get or do we have to fight “chair hogs” lol?

5) Are there fairly current movies in the theater?

6) We are a traveling family... so we have two staterooms, a B3 cabin with an extended balcony ( which I booked after reading recommendations here on this board, thanks!) and a Oceanview C cabin. Can we book our speciality restaurants together? Is it difficult to get a table for 5?

7) is it easy to find a table at the open air dining venue in the evening? What time does it close? Is it very windy in the evenings?

8) any recommendations of favorite things to do in the following ports?

- Grand Stirrup Caye

- San Juan

- Gustavia, St Barts

- Castries, St Lucia

- St Marteen

- Antigua

9) any “can’t miss” things on board? Food , drink, activity, entertainment, place to relax?

I am a “super planner” and am already full steam planning for this first cruise on Oceania. I have read many good things about it and am very excited! Would appreciate any help or comments!

Thanks

Kim

Looks wonderful. I am still learning the names of the dining venues. The Terrace Café would be the "buffet" area and Waves would be the outdoor grill area? Is Waves open in the evening as well? My family will be so pleased to have made to order lamb chops and seafood available nightly, I can hardly wait.

Waves closes at 4 or 4:30 in the afternoon. Try the surf and turf sandwich.

Very nice quiet spaces are the library, Horizons, the outside loungers on deck 5 (R class ships). The ambiance of the whole ship is quiet and relaxed.

DVDs are available at Reception, very extensive assortment available.

You can link your specialty restaurant reservations and you should be able to get a table for 5 without any problems.

Never saw anyone singing along with the live entertainment but we turn in early.

Waves closes at 4 or 4:30 in the afternoon. Try the surf and turf sandwich.

Very nice quiet spaces are the library, Horizons, the outside loungers on deck 5 (R class ships). The ambiance of the whole ship is quiet and relaxed.

DVDs are available at Reception, very extensive assortment available.

You can link your specialty restaurant reservations and you should be able to get a table for 5 without any problems.

Never saw anyone singing along with the live entertainment but we turn in early.

The Surf and Turf sandwich looks delicious, will surely try it. We tend to turn in early as well as we are very port focused and tend to do a lot during the day. We enjoy watching movies and curling up with a good book by the pool.

I see that trivia is onboard, do people tend to form teams with other passengers? We had great fun on Crystal pairing up with fellow passengers. We are a family traveling ( all older children who don’t need flow riders or arcades to be happy) and enjoy playing games together... scrabble, trivia and other board games.

The sing along piano I am referring to is quite popular on other ships ... Elton John, Billy Joel type fare that people inevitably sing along to because everyone knows the words. Nothing loud or raucous. If this is not available, no problem.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Just a couple of comments.

I have certainly experienced singing along to the piano in Martinis on some of the Oceania ships. I guess it depends on the mix of passengers on any particular cruise.

Dining availability in the Speciality restaurants should not be a problem for your group. Just make sure you get on-line and make reservations as soon as it opens. Usually around 2 months before you sail.

In the Main dining room, the maitre d will sort you out in their usually professional style.

Have fun in the Caribbean

- San Juan

- Gustavia, St Barts

- Castries, St Lucia

- St Marteen

- Antigua

San Juan:

We took a city tour with two impressive forts. You could probably do it on your own. I don't know how much old San Juan has recovered.

Gustavia, St.Barths:

Went there several times, a decade ago on a longer vacation. Once we rented a car to check out where we had vacationed. Much more built up than before. Another time, we walked around Gustavia and up to the ruins of the fort and relaxed. There is a pebbly beach behind the town. It is a tender port.

Castries, St.Lucia:

Went there 3 times including a vacation. Took tours to a village and the Soufriere volcano or walked in the slightly seedy town but no problems. People are friendly, they say good morning or ignore you. Went to the market, too.

St. Marten:

I don't know how much the island has recovered. Once we took a tour to the highest point for great views. Another time we walked to Philipsburg and bought fabulous European bathing suits (for all figures!) in a small shop on the street parallel to the ocean front promenade.

Antigua:

I took the tour to Shirley Heights and Dow's Hill, some of the best views in the Caribbean. Nelson's Dockyard is at the bottom. The capital St. John's looked a bit run down, we spent some time talking to one of the shop keepers.

Brazilgirl in the afternoon between 16.00 and 17.00 in the Horizons (10. Etage in front) they serve afternoon tea. There is a string quartet playing nice music, usually classic. Try not to miss the afternoon tea.

Later around 18.00 in the same venue the band plays. Unfortunately I have only heard them once. It was jazz, which I like a lot.

Ivi

Wonderful..I love afternoon tea and have enjoyed the Mozart Tea on Crystal and the Indonesian tea on HAL. I will certainly try it.

Thank you Flordiana for the port tips. We often rent cars in port, so will certainly look into it. I am most looking forward to St. Barts. We enjoyed Antigua over 22 years ago on our honeymoon and sure it has changed a lot.

I appreciate all your tips!

Regarding the DVD's -- currently on Regatta the list is 1014 long. There is also a non English list of International DVD's also.

The movies on board are similar time release that you would find on an airline(in fact they are pretty much the same)

On Riviera in the past we have had an excellent Piano Player in Martini's during Happy Hour.

Regarding the DVD's -- currently on Regatta the list is 1014 long. There is also a non English list of International DVD's also.

The movies on board are similar time release that you would find on an airline(in fact they are pretty much the same)

On Riviera in the past we have had an excellent Piano Player in Martini's during Happy Hour.

Njce info...I always catch up on my movie viewing on planes, so may find some good titles on board as well. We will be sure to catch the piano player. Thanks!

Njce info...I always catch up on my movie viewing on planes, so may find some good titles on board as well. We will be sure to catch the piano player. Thanks!

Hi Brazilgirl, I am afraid you will not have time to watch many DVDs. You will be visiting many ports and there are many activities offered at Sirena on seadays.

By the way on some seadays during our cruise, Sirena presented movies in the Sirena lounge. Popcorn was offered. Now that was for me Luxus also...(popcorn).

Ivi