Land and Sea

JEMNMI

We are planning to do a week at Disney World before our week long cruise this fall. If you have done both did you wish you had done them at separate times and what were the pros and cons of doing them together? We are first timers for Disney World, but will be our second Disney Cruise.

If you have a long enough vacation to do both, that's great. I would rather do just one and do it well than to rush thru either due to lack of time. WDW park tickets decrease in price per diem with the more days you buy. That's a "pro" to a longer park visit. And embarkation day is largely a bust (although we often do a character breakfast before leaving WDW). If my choice were a 7 night cruise, 7 night parks or 4+3, I'd choose to do 7 days of one. If I could do a 7 night cruise + several days at the parks now or a 7 night cruise now + a park vacation later, I'd do them both in one trip...thus saving airfare and the hassles of travel for the second trip.

Another advantage to doing the parks first is that if you have any luggage or transportation issues, I'd much rather miss one day in the parks than miss the ship. We have never missed a vacation day due to a flight issue, but have arrived later than scheduled. However, we have had lost luggage. It was much easier for the luggage to get to me at WDW than had it been chasing me around on the ship!

we did both in august....

and we've done both in the past - actually every time we've cruised, we've gone to WDW at least before....and sometimes before and after...

this past august, we were at WDW for 3 weeks...

then after my son and his family went back home, my husband and i, and our daughter and son in law did a (way too short) 3 day cruise on the dream....spectacular way to end our vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's perfect! When DCL first started they had official "Land / Sea" vacations and we took one in 2000. We did WDW first and really enjoyed the cruise with it's more relaxed atmosphere.

This is the Year of Disney for us ... we are doing a "split land / sea" adventure, but it's "split" by several months. We are visiting WDW with our grandkids for a week next month (they are bringing their parents too), and then doing a British Isles cruise on the Magic in September with friends.