Airlines Used By O for Lima Sailings

kitty9

We're looking at the itinerary Lima to NYC for 2019, and was wondering if anyone knows the airlines used for that trip. If choices are better using their airfare, then we'd go for that.

Also, anyone know the hotel that O uses in Lima?

Thanks for any information.

We stayed at the Marriott Miraflores 2 years ago booked through O and it was lovely. It is right on the bluff above Ocean and across the street from really cool shopping area. I would highly recommend it. We flew back from Lima to DFW on United and it was one of the worst flights ever. It was an older plane with dirty restrooms and really bad food. Don't know what other choices there would be. We booked it with O and a flight deviation as stayed one extra day in Lima.

We're looking at the itinerary Lima to NYC for 2019, and was wondering if anyone knows the airlines used for that trip. If choices are better using their airfare, then we'd go for that.

They tend to use the Marriott. But if booking through Oceania expect to pay X2 the standard rate.

Also they put us on AA for the return to MIA 4 years ago. That was the one and only time we used O air.

My preference has always been to book your own air and hotels. Both the Marriott Miraflores and Country Club are good choices for Lima. If you book at the Marriott make sure that you join their rewards program first as they sometimes have better rates -- also AAA or senior discounts.

We stayed at the Marriott Miraflores 2 years ago booked through O and it was lovely. It is right on the bluff above Ocean and across the street from really cool shopping area. I would highly recommend it. We flew back from Lima to DFW on United and it was one of the worst flights ever. It was an older plane with dirty restrooms and really bad food. Don't know what other choices there would be. We booked it with O and a flight deviation as stayed one extra day in Lima.

Wondering which airline you actually had issues with?? Lima to DFW would have been American as United flies Lima to IAH and not to DFW.?

Thanks to everyone for the information. I now have to figure out if that itinerary is workable for me. Since my post polio is getting worse, I have to find out if Lima would have accessible transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to port. From pictures I've seen, the Country Club hotel looks to be accessible because I could see a ramp outside leading to the lobby, so that would work well.

I have to find out if Lima would have accessible transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to port. .

There is a Wyndham hotel directly across the street from the airline terminal in Lima. In fact, as I remember, there is a covered, overhead walkway from the terminal to the hotel.

There is a Wyndham hotel directly across the street from the airline terminal in Lima. In fact, as I remember, there is a covered, overhead walkway from the terminal to the hotel.

We had the Wyndham reserved for a day room prior to a red eye flight. We ended up on an earlier flight so didn’t need it.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I now have to figure out if that itinerary is workable for me. Since my post polio is getting worse, I have to find out if Lima would have accessible transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to port. From pictures I've seen, the Country Club hotel looks to be accessible because I could see a ramp outside leading to the lobby, so that would work well.

Kitty,if you are any way disabled you must request help at the port of Lima.you will hear more about this,but we arrived by taxi on Tuesday.A small pergola was standing next to a coach.There was no one there to ask what to do.No one spoke English.It was 11am and very hot.Luckily we were able to get straight on the bus and taken to the ship.For us it was easy but we were surprised no one from Oceania greeted us there or indeed provided water.

Half an hour later and there was chaos.many many people,probably 90% of them,were waiting over an hour and half to get on the buses.Full midday sun with no shelter,water,toilets or help.then when they eventually got to the dockside,another hour,again no water or shelter.

I understand this to be unheard of but nevertheless it happened and was very stressful for everyone especially frail,disabled and anyone wanting the toilet.very many burnt passengers.Not one member of staff to help and since,no apology.So take note and request help if you need it.

We did Lima-NYC in 2015 but we had a private 6 day tour to Machu Picchu, etc., prior to the cruise. Upon return to Lima our guide drove us right up to the ship so we had no problem checking in but we were shocked at the very long line of people waiting to try to board, yes in the hot sun. We were of course delighted that we didn't have to stand there for a long time!

As to hotel, our agency had reservations at an airport hotel upon our arrival in Lima -- I don't know if it was the Wyndham but it was right there steps from the airport -- which was very convenient. I don't recall steps to get there, but there might have been. The guide picked us up in the morning to start our pre-cruise tour.

By the way, we flew from Miami to Lima on American but we had booked our own air (business class) and the flight was fine. The fact that we booked our own air in business might explain for the difference between those unhappy with AA when booked through Oceania.

Mura

Our cruise is ending in Lima. We always do our own flights as we collect miles/points thru credit cards. Flying Avianca, business class. They’re a partner with United. So it was about 40 thousand points each for 2 one way business class tickets. If you have the time, each of you can get a United card, do the minimum spend and book free business class.

I’m really not understanding this whole boarding process in Lima. Why did you have to take a bus to the ship? Is there no terminal? Where were these buses located? Why was the boarding so bad, and where were the Oceania people? There’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever to keep people standing in the heat waiting to board for so many hours.

I’m really not understanding this whole boarding process in Lima. Why did you have to take a bus to the ship? Is there no terminal? Where were these buses located? Why was the boarding so bad, and where were the Oceania people? There’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever to keep people standing in the heat waiting to board for so many hours.

There is no terminal in Lima and the port area is restricted in that you cannot walk to the ship and not all vehicles are allowed to drive into the port to the ship. There are vehicles that can take you to the ship but, they don't run very office and you have to wait at the gate and there isn't a building there or seating for while you wait.

Not a cruise friendly port.

Agree with rallydave. There is no terminal near ship and when we were there, no covered area to stand under. The coaches just pull up on the pier next to ship. The area is a container port and you can't walk to front gate. Also this is in a rather tough part of town.

Perhaps you can arrange a transfer with a company that has port “privileges”and will guarantee you a drop off at the ship rather than at the gate. I believe there are such companies.

Perhaps the POC forum for S, America might help?

It is a good idea to try and find someone who can be more helpful and take you to the ship.A few did this and there was nearly world war 3.People were very angry after their long wait at the port then the wait to board.

As for the staff Kitty,who knows why no one was there except gossip was from someone who asked your very question, that no one would go out there.Whether this was true or not I have no idea,but it could well have been.

I will repeat what I said earlier -- we were on a private 6 day tour to Machu Picchu. We returned to Lima the night before boarding Marina. Then we had a city tour in the morning and they just drove us up to the sign-in place. There was a very long line of people standing in the sun waiting their turn ...

I don't know how one can find an agency that will just drive you up to the sign-in area as our guide did, but surely they exist. Perhaps simply book a city tour before boarding the ship ... then they probably can just take you up.

Now, if you are boarding the ship upon arrival at Lima ... that may be different! In that case, maybe it's better to plan on a few days in Lima and then arrive with a guide ...

I'm not all sure what the right answer is. For us, it was easy-peasy. For most people boarding Marina with us, it was far from that!

Mura

Thank you everyone for your great information. Reading all of it, we decided to forgo this itinerary and will find something that has easier port facilities. Heck, if rumors were true, and the Oceania staff didn't feel comfortable going outside, it does make you wonder why Oceania couldn't find a better port for such itineraries.

UAL has last time checked several years ago had a non stop from EWR and IAH both on 767's I am thinking UAL because after the continental merger UAL got hundreds of So America routes. I took UAL miles because it was cheaper in miles for business...

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you, Kitty. We were considering this same itinerary as you but after reading this, we will pass. We are active Seniors but there is no worse beginning to a cruise that having to stand in hot sun in long lines for unreasonable times.. After tearing tendons in my ankle last year, I could never stand an hour and half comfortably.

Thank you all for relaying this information and saving us a bad experience.

Don't forget that if you schedule a tour with a licensed agency, they can drive you right up to the ship. I am guessing that you could book a city tour on departure day and they could take you direct to the ship. So if you came in a day or two early a city tour would be feasible.

We were on a six day pre-cruise tour to Machu Picchu so it was a bit different for us. We came back to Lima the night before boarding the ship and did have a city tour on our last morning in Lima. We were very happy not to have to join that horrendous line waiting to board ...

I must admit I am really discouraged with Oceania based upon this and other threads describing this horrible situation in Lima. Even if my husband and I were to book a tour that would deliver us direct to the ship, we could easily have been in that line, and the fact that Oceania would accept their passengers being treated that way is unacceptable. With no criticism toward you, Mura, clearly there is some kind of preferential treatment given to people who deal with locals or, as reported in one message, to those who are willing to exchange money for preferred treatment. If this is the norm in the port in Lima, itineraries should be changed accordingly.