Meet and greet- how long?

Weetahbugdotcom

The M & G usually are as others have posted reserved for about an hour.

Depending on the needs of the Officers and chief cooks and bottle washers the M & G could last

longer but not likely - the more interesting questions asked could push this to the 1 hour mark.

For your after M & G ideas consider a Cabin Crawl - see other cabins on the ship

A Slot Pull - everyone interested pools their money to win more

A gift exchange - attendees bringing gifts exchange with others - not as frequent as it has been in the past.

The M & G usually are as others have posted reserved for about an hour.

Depending on the needs of the Officers and chief cooks and bottle washers the M & G could last

longer but not likely - the more interesting questions asked could push this to the 1 hour mark.

For your after M & G ideas consider a Cabin Crawl - see other cabins on the ship

A Slot Pull - everyone interested pools their money to win more

A gift exchange - attendees bringing gifts exchange with others - not as frequent as it has been in the past.

Yeah I have no problem coming up with ideas, I just had a unique idea that I am trying to figure

Out if it’s doable. I think I can do it if I scale back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have no problem coming up with ideas, I just had a unique idea that I am trying to figure

Out if it’s doable. I think I can do it if I scale back :)

Gee it might be fun to join your M&G. I love new ideas.:p And yes, 1 hour is the usual amount of time allowed for them. Have a great time.

On our Jade Cruise, we exchanged fridge magnets from our "home towns" or countries. I thought that it was a nice cheap idea. I believe one of the organizers thought of it. I think I got the best one though - a really cute one from Australia. If you are out there Big Shed - thx again. It has pride of place on my fridge!

The idea is to meet and mingle, participation from the attendees to make a difference. The venue, whether it's the Lounge on the BA or LeBistro on the Gem (that's out of NYC) is typically reserved for 1 hour, but the "formal" part with the attending ship officers & rep's is usually done & over in 10 or 15 minutes ... don't ask why, used to last a bit longer in the old days as they did a little more Q&A then - nowadays, expect them to quickly wrap up & march out, off to their own routines (it's a busy, first sea day - afterall.)

On one gathering, the organizer had some door prizes & had a drawing for it, with some good laughter - as 2 or 3 bottles of sparkling bubbles and wine were also added. We had magnets that flew in from down under ... Aussie (thank you !) and collected treats for a pet shelter in advance of stopping at Nassau as part of a goodwill post-hurricane recovery. Had a surprised mini-birthday for a couple in another M&M ... possibilities endless.

Solo / single travelers stayed longer (moved to the MDR to do lunch together) & chat with their own plans, the slot pull crowd headed for their exercise ...cabin crawl always great for staterooms with unique layout, not to mention the penthouse & villa.

Want to share your idea?

If I decide to do it i will share here after my cruise. If I don’t, I will share once I know I am not doing it. It’s a mixer thing, but it wouldn’t be as fun if people going read about it now :)

Whatever it is be prepared for a lot of people, especially if it is a large group; to bring a drink, to settle down with old friends and talk; and take no part in anything you organise. Something organised may well go down best in a smaller group.

Also be prepared when the officers leave for people to try to arrange for others to join in private shore excursions.

I have found that few people are interested in a gift exchange but a fridge magnet exchange can go down well.

The idea is to meet and mingle, participation from the attendees to make a difference. The venue, whether it's the Lounge on the BA or LeBistro on the Gem (that's out of NYC) is typically reserved for 1 hour, but the "formal" part with the attending ship officers & rep's is usually done & over in 10 or 15 minutes ... don't ask why, used to last a bit longer in the old days as they did a little more Q&A then - nowadays, expect them to quickly wrap up & march out, off to their own routines (it's a busy, first sea day - afterall.)

On one gathering, the organizer had some door prizes & had a drawing for it, with some good laughter - as 2 or 3 bottles of sparkling bubbles and wine were also added. We had magnets that flew in from down under ... Aussie (thank you !) and collected treats for a pet shelter in advance of stopping at Nassau as part of a goodwill post-hurricane recovery. Had a surprised mini-birthday for a couple in another M&M ... possibilities endless.

Solo / single travelers stayed longer (moved to the MDR to do lunch together) & chat with their own plans, the slot pull crowd headed for their exercise ...cabin crawl always great for staterooms with unique layout, not to mention the penthouse & villa.

our last one we did the gift exchange. Of course it was volunteer so not everyone got involved but it certainly was fun. After that we did the slot pull. Again,not everyone at the M&G took part, but many did. It was a good M&G. Some are, some do go over too well.

Oh and one more thing we have done at our last couple of M&Gs: those of us who have our sparkling wine in our cabin bring the bottle to the M:&G so we can all share enjoying a memosa or two. Again, it is not mandatory anyone bring their bottle, but it works for those who are not huge lovers of the wine but don't want to let it go to waste. You can't bery well take it home with you in your luggage. When sparkling wine gets warm the cork can fly out and your would have a wonderful mess. Believe me I know, I left a bottle in my car during the summer one time. I came out to the car and discovered I had a cracked window, and the car smelled like cheap booze, which is what it was.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Believe me I know, I left a bottle in my car during the summer one time. I came out to the car and discovered I had a cracked window, and the car smelled like cheap booze, which is what it was.

I know its a bit off topic but......

Unfortunately one day I knocked a bottle of milk over in the car. It was a truly disgusting smell after a few days.:eek:

one of our recent meet and mingles was such a dud....maybe 10 people there, but one man totally took over and essentially talked about his experiences and himself nonstop....we left after listening to him for 1/2 hour. No one else had a chance.

Totally depends on the people who come. I have organized several, one was such a dud, the others pretty worth while. Typically the officers want to give a little talk, take a few questions then get out, then its a matter of how well your attendees meet and mingle. I've done little door prizes via drawning and even given the officers some gifts to commemorate the event (I own a print shop and make koozies etc) Do they want this stuff...who knows, but they do remember us and that's never a bad thing!

I second the comments about the slot pull, cabin crawl is fun, and we have several times organized our own "pub crawl" on a sea day.....be careful with that one!

one of our recent meet and mingles was such a dud....maybe 10 people there, but one man totally took over and essentially talked about his experiences and himself nonstop....we left after listening to him for 1/2 hour. No one else had a chance.

I always feel sorry for the officers when this happens. Out cruise in early May doesn't have many responding and I am concerned about it. My feeling, unless there are enough signing up, it isn't worth holding one and we all know 1/3 to 1/2 of the people who sign up do not show.

My feeling, unless there are enough signing up,

I set a minimum, 24 (12 couples) before I will even start the actual process of arranging the M&G. I make that known when I offer on CC and repeat in my "welcome" reply to those signing up.

I actually think more like 15 couples before booking the M&G, but you are right, there should be a number in the mind of the leader before taking up the time ans space if it is going to not work. I also stress, when I am the leader the importance of signing up and showing up. yes, we all know things do come up, but remember the cruise line is doing us a favor, they are providing refreshments and giving us their time.

I haven't been on a NCL meet and great yet. My upcoming cruise looks to have only 8 people interested so far. Very quiet roll call.

Does NCL provide any prizes/gifts. The ones I've been to on RCCL, the ship had a some little swag and a bottle of wine to give away in a draw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over all the most embarrassing aspect of the Meet and Greet is when the Crew outnumber the CC guests.

Best to have 40 or more folks signed up initially so that a suggested (I put it as required) minimum participation

is in play.

NCL puts out a continental breakfast buffet of sorts with coffee tea orange juice water various pastries and

bagels has a meeting place able to handle that 40 number or more and assembles from five to ten of their

personnel representative of work areas - normally hosted by the Hotel Director - The Captain pilots the ship

and may be present - but it is the Hotel Director that runs the ship overall.

If you have a problem with something this would be an excellent time to discuss with the department head about it.

CC maybe a minority of affinity groups on board but we do have a following and we are respected when we

voice a concern.

Having trouble getting your small group onto a shore excursion with Priority now is the time to get it fixed.

Dinner seat arrangements this is the time to getter done.

Dietary food issues bring it up.

Have a Latitudes Rewards customer issue - the Next Cruise people can help.

The list goes on - - -

Don't miss the opportunity to make your cruise and CC and the NCL crew the memorable occasion you have planned.

While writing this - a question about prizes - you can bring design think of your own - about that bottle of bubbly

sometimes one or more of our Platinum guests bring theirs and offer it a gift. The Host of the M & G can talk

with the Hotel Director in advance and get perhaps a couple more - please request politely. If someone is having

a birthday anniversary mention that as incentive.

So you have 8 folks at this time interested - how far out is the cruise ?

If it is a month away I seriously would consider cancelling it.

More than 6 months away give it a chance to develop - talk (write) is up here at CC.

Read of others with travels planned on your cruise in this Main forum section - direct them to the Roll Call.

See if there are problems issues with your cruise make note of this and bring it up at the M & G.

Meet & Greet signup logon attend and be a part of making CC better for all of us !