Are men’s allowed on the theater with casual attire?

Ivy86

On formal nights one is supposed to adhere to the dress code in the theater, but honestly, I've seen some folks get away with minor infractions, and they did not have to walk the plank.

But some men, in the stalls, are requested to return to their stateroom to retrieve their accidentally 'overlooked' jacket.

However, on informal nights most male overlookers look to take the "rat run" to each side, taking the stairs to a box, this to save any jacket requests. Most will decline to purchase a drink whilst in a box.

But some men, in the stalls, are requested to return to their stateroom to retrieve their accidentally 'overlooked' jacket.

However, on informal nights most male overlookers look to take the "rat run" to each side, taking the stairs to a box, this to save any jacket requests. Most will decline to purchase a drink whilst in a box.

Have you had drinks service in a box recently ? Our last few trips on QV, we've had to bring drinks from the Golden Lion for the late show.

Do we need to arrived at the port at the allocated time or earlier? If there a maximum weight allowed per luggage?

Maximum weight for each item of luggage is 23Kg.

You can arrive earlier but the terminal may be busy and you might have longer to wait.

Which ship, when ?

Do you mean the paid for boxes with Champagne ?

Last/Latest cruise, QE October 18.

Yes, we paid for the box evening, then ordered a Bucks Fiz and Rum Sour. No problem with service.

Never had a service concern regarding drinks in the Theatre, as one of our usual waiters attends on arrival.

FYI, our latest waiter is the author of the "Cunard" book sold in the ship's (QE) store. He signed our copy.

Or do they have to wear a jacket to see the shows. ��

On Victoria and Elizabeth, you'll find the majority of men [including my husband] follow protocol and wear jackets but there will be a small minority who remove theirs in the theater and around the ship [might be different on Mary], after dinner.

Edited by Victoria2

You'll find the majority of men [including my husband] follow protocol and wear jackets but there will be a small minority who remove theirs in the theater and around the ship, after dinner.

I have never seen any theatre jacket patrol staff on jacketless watch and apart from the formal night box occasions, I've never seen any staff on hand from whom one can order drinks.

On QE there always are 3/4 wine waiters available every evening in the Theatre. Methinks a change of ship to QE is required, as it appears, from many posts, service levels may have dropped on the other Queens.

On QE there always are 3/4 wine waiters available every evening in the Theatre. Methinks a change of ship to QE is required, as it appears, from many posts, service levels may have dropped on the other Queens.

Didn't see any on QE last year [box, so maybe we were missed out] on the couple of times [non formal nights], when we visited the theatre. I didn't see any bar staff hovering around the main area either.s

I don't consider that a drop in service levels as I am quite happy to be without a drink in hand for the duration of a theatre visit.

I have never sailed with Cunard.

Did I read correctly that you have to pay to sit in the theater?

How does this work?

Pat.

The general theatre seat are free.

There are boxes on the sides like in an opera house. On certain night for the big production shows, there is a fee for booking the boxes and champagne and canapés are supplied. For many headliner acts and during the daily lectures, the boxes are free (first come first serve basis)

The boxes and the upper level seats have safety glass screens installed so to see the stage through the the screen. I find this awful so avoid the boxes and the upper level.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do we need to arrived at the port at the allocated time or earlier? If there a maximum weight allowed per luggage?

My allocated time was 1:30pm

I arrived at the Southampton Mayflower Cruise terminal at 12:20pm. I was treated no differently with someone with a 12:20 allocated time.

I was in my room (standard Britannia class) and fully unpacked by 1:30pm. The luggage (five pieces) arrived in record time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the very early days of the Vista class ships (QV/QE) the service of drinks prior to the start a theatre show was often a standard practice. ( I'm referring here to the seating level below the boxes ) Unfortunately, due to the design of the theatre ( with all those steps to negotiate ) it made things difficult for the service staff to navigate, and on dozens of occasions accidents would happen with drinks falling off trays etc. Unlike the QM2, there are no tables adjacent to the seats therefore guest's would leave used glasses on the floor/ under the seats etc (more chance of other guests standing on them, and more work for the overworked utility staff)

I'm sure F&B ( vista class) would be delighted to continue with the service of pre show drinks ( as on QM2) more revenue for them, however, common sense must prevail.

I'm quite intrigued by the question regarding what attire is acceptable in the theatre on formal nights as I am wondering WHO would enforce such a dress requirement. On every occasion that I have been in the theatre (which is every night on every cruise) apart from a few drinks waiters on duty serving drinks in the theatre, I have never seen anybody who you could describe as "ships staff" in the theatre who could enforce a dress code if they wanted to.

The "excessive" reserving of seats is rife, people record the performances or parts thereof (mainly on mobile phones) with apparent impunity despite a pre-show announcement warning of copyright. Hence my observation that the enforcement of any "rules" in the theatre is extremely tenuous.

David

I'm quite intrigued by the question regarding what attire is acceptable in the theatre on formal nights as I am wondering WHO would enforce such a dress requirement. On every occasion that I have been in the theatre (which is every night on every cruise) apart from a few drinks waiters on duty serving drinks in the theatre, I have never seen anybody who you could describe as "ships staff" in the theatre who could enforce a dress code if they wanted to.

The "excessive" reserving of seats is rife, people record the performances or parts thereof (mainly on mobile phones) with apparent impunity despite a pre-show announcement warning of copyright. Hence my observation that the enforcement of any "rules" in the theatre is extremely tenuous.

David

When dress code violations are observed, one could identify them to a member of staff, who then speak to the seated miscreants, in full view of all in the Theatre.

Have excerised this option with great success.

When dress code violations are observed, one could identify them to a member of staff, who then speak to the seated miscreants, in full view of all in the Theatre.

Have excerised this option with great success.

I am appalled that you would do that and I speak as one who follows the dress code.

I wonder what would happen if passengers refused to comply or made a complaint against the company for being so humiliated.

I am appalled that you would do that and I speak as one who follows the dress code.

I wonder what would happen if passengers refused to comply or made a complaint against the company for being so humiliated.

Why do you find such enforcement "appalling"? I've heard that this is how Disney enforces "adult only" venues and show times. Parents who bring children are told - in full view of anybody else - that this area or time is for adults only.

I applaud PR for taking the initiative to say something. Somebody who chooses not to follow the announced dress code deserves to be "reminded". In this iternet age it's hard to believe that somebody could board Cunard ships and not be aware that they are the most formal at sea. (One assumes that some due diligence would be done before making any kind of big purchase.)