Considering a first cruise on Oceana

oskidunker

Have 20 cruises on Princess and have enjoyed them. Not cruised another line since Holland 20 years ago. Am considering Aug 28 2019 cruise which does Norway and Iceland.

Princess has a similar cruise but thought a change might be fun, especially since club class on a Princess approaches the princess price. . Have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

Am missing the table side presentations that Princess used to do. Food has been reduced in quality a bit.

Is the fare that includes air a good deal?

.live in San Francisco. Does it cost much to upgrade to Premium economy’s? Is there one airline they favor?

I understand the food is better on Oceana. Can some describe a typical menu.?

Are their sales closer to departure date or are the best fares now?

We are 69 and 66.

We also like the traditional set dining times on Princess since anytime usually means a beeper and a long wait. Does the ship have enough seating so you can really eat when you want?

What is the required deposit and is it refundable?

Normally we use our travel agent. Is this ok?

Just registered today at the Oceana site and immediately got a marketing call. Not happy about that.

Any other info you can provide would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also like the traditional set dining times on Princess since anytime usually means a beeper and a long wait. Does the ship have enough seating so you can really eat when you want?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, many people use a travel agent.

There are no traditional dining times and no beepers. I never had a waiting line for dinner on an Oceania ship. You realize that Oceania ships are much smaller than Princess ships and they have more space per passenger.

Have 20 cruises on Princess and have enjoyed them. Not cruised another line since Holland 20 years ago. Am considering Aug 28 2019 cruise which does Norway and Iceland.

I've done 9 Princess cruises and 1 on Oceania. Enjoyed all of them. But the 2 lines are different. Oceania has smaller but very beautifully decorated ships, older demographics, nothing for children, minimal entertainment, better food overall, better service, many included amenities that you'd have to pay for on P, very interesting ports, and rare if any lines to stand in. Cabin sizes on Oceania are smaller, though, so a verandah on O equals a balcony on P. A Penthouse suite on O is like a minisuite on P. The verandah bathrooms/showers are extremely small.

Princess has a similar cruise but thought a change might be fun, especially since club class on a Princess approaches the princess price.

Do you mean Oceania price?? Club class dining is very nice, but you don't need a special dining place on O. Everyone on the ship gets to eat free in all the dining venues (including specialty restaurants) - and they all have very good food.

Is the fare that includes air a good deal? Live in San Francisco. Does it cost much to upgrade to Premium economy’s? Is there one airline they favor?

I didn't use the Oceania air - got a cheaper fare for not including air. I think Premium economy is an extra $199pp each way.

I understand the food is better on Oceana. Can some describe a typical menu.?

You can find that on the O website under Dining. BTW, the cruiseline is spelled with an "i" - Oceania.

Are their sales closer to departure date or are the best fares now?

I think most prices increase as time goes on - haven't seen sales. The OLife perks are their "sale." To properly compare prices, you must look at the value of included specialty restaurants, free unlimited Internet, free laundry (in some cabin categories), free gratuities, etc.

We are 69 and 66.

You're in the right age group.

Only Anytime Dining, but never a wait. A few times at lunch in the buffet (Terrace Cafe), it was crowded and took a little bit of time to find a seat, but still easier than on larger ships. We loved the buffet food and ate most of our dinners there.

What is the required deposit and is it refundable?

Deposit differs, but is much more than on Princess. Refund schedule is on their website.

Yes. I found that a high volume O travel agent is more helpful.

Just registered today at the Oceana site and immediately got a marketing call. Not happy about that.

Just tell them to stop calling.

I like some things better on Princess and some things better on Oceania. I can get a full suite on Princess for half or less than on O and get alot of suite perks. You'll only know if you like O if you just take a cruise. Maybe choose a shorter, cheaper cruise for the first time. From what I've heard, the Riviera and Marina are nicer than the older, smaller R ships (Regatta, Nautica, Insignia and Sirena). My cruise was on the Insignia and my next one will be also.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Good advice from what I have skimmed through!

I have done a Norway-Iceland cruise on O in 2010 (INSIGNIA), and another pretty-much Norway cruise in 2016 (NAUTICA). Loved them both.

Haven't done Princess since an Alaska cruise in 1990 so clearly I can't speak about which one is better. Just that we've never been tempted to return to Princess ... perhaps because I've seen many posts here from people who left Princess for Oceania.

We HAVE used O's air on occasion but usually book our own air. If we use O's air, we do the deviation and spend extra time in the departure and arrival ports. We used O's upgrade to Premium Economy when we flew to Copenhagen from NY in June 2015 and returned from LHR in July. Back then it was a $99 surcharge. That price has since been increased and I don't think it is available on all flights ... I could be wrong, since we rarely use O's air.

Best suggestion which no doubt others have made: check what the airfare would be if you do it on your own and compare it to the O discount if you do your own. Personally, we've never taken an O air option without a deviation because you want to make sure you get to the port on time. Sometimes it doesn't happen, so that cushion is worth the expense. Besides, you get to see a city that maybe you wouldn't otherwise see.

We are returning from Venice in late May but we have an overnight there, and DH isn't fond of Venice, so we will fly home the day we leave the ship. For us, that is MOST unusual. Again, we booked our own air because we prefer biz air these days. The surcharge with O for biz air is prohibitive. If you can get a good deal for premium economy, it's worth considering, certainly.

Good luck on making your decision. I agree that a short "try-out" cruise could be a good idea. You don't want to book a longer cruise if you already know the line is not for you.

Mura

Edited by Mura

To me the one adjustment may be the dining time. We have had to wait in the MDR on the smaller ships for a table for two both for lunch and for dinner. Never more than 30 minutes. Have seen reviews that say you may have a wait in the Terrace Cafe/buffet depending on the return of excursions and whether you want an outside table. Also reservations are typically required for the specialty dining and extra ones may or may not be available when you want.

Keep doing your research by reading lots of posts and reviews so you know what to expect. We make it work with some flexibility; the entire package is very worth it.

Special promotion for 2019 Europe cruises is going on now. see this site for the promotions for your cruise in question : https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/london-to-reykjavik-RVA190828/special-offers/?sr=%2fbaltic-cruises%2fport-reykjavik-REK%2f

Premium economy currently $149 per person, 50% deposits, etc. but look at the terms and conditions for details- I believe this offer expires the end of March.

I haven't waited more than five, maybe ten minutes at the Grand Dining Room. We normally start between 7 and 7:20, so if you want 6:30, your experience may be different. We normally ask for a share table, rather than just a table for two. Love to meet new people and swap travel stories or hear about their home.

True though that the Terrace Cafe can be crowded at breakfast on a busy port day. Usually though you can find a table that will welcome you. Or go to Waves for breakfast.

Ditto. We prefer to share in order to meet other guests. But often we end up at a table for two in the GDR simply because of timing. If you arrive at a time when no one is around to wants to share, they don't want to put you at a larger table in case no one shows up who wants to share. So from our point of view, it's EASIER sometimes to get a table for two than it is to share! It's always a matter of timing. (We tend to go in around 7:30-7:45, sometimes even a bit later.)

For breakfast, we will go to the GDR if it's a sea day (or a late port arrival). We avoid Terrace if we can precisely because it can be so crowded. Since we're usually in a PH we will order breakfast into the room on those days.

That being said, last year we took a downsell to a B1 from a PH which meant we did have breakfasts on tour days in Terrace and we didn't have a problem getting a table. This was on Nautica.

Definitely Terrace is more crowded than the GDR for breakfast!

Mura

Just a small but to me, important point. The "buffet" is not self-serve. You do go to the counter to choose food, but staff serve your plate. And coffee, tea and juice is brought to your table. No need to fetch it! If staff aren't terribly busy, or if you look like you need it, they will even carry your plate for you!

Frances

Ditto. We prefer to share in order to meet other guests. But often we end up at a table for two in the GDR simply because of timing. If you arrive at a time when no one is around to wants to share, they don't want to put you at a larger table in case no one shows up who wants to share. So from our point of view, it's EASIER sometimes to get a table for two than it is to share! It's always a matter of timing. (We tend to go in around 7:30-7:45, sometimes even a bit later.)

For breakfast, we will go to the GDR if it's a sea day (or a late port arrival). We avoid Terrace if we can precisely because it can be so crowded. Since we're usually in a PH we will order breakfast into the room on those days.

That being said, last year we took a downsell to a B1 from a PH which meant we did have breakfasts on tour days in Terrace and we didn't have a problem getting a table. This was on Nautica.

Definitely Terrace is more crowded than the GDR for breakfast!

Mura

Is there not room service breakfast for all cabins?

Special promotion for 2019 Europe cruises is going on now. see this site for the promotions for your cruise in question : https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/london-to-reykjavik-RVA190828/special-offers/?sr=%2fbaltic-cruises%2fport-reykjavik-REK%2f

Premium economy currently $149 per person, 50% deposits, etc. but look at the terms and conditions for details- I believe this offer expires the end of March.

Sorry, because this is a little off topic. But perhaps someone has some advice.

Premium Economy is not always so premium. We flew back from Paris to Los Angeles last year, Premium Economy, on Air France. It was an airbus. The seats were wider and there was a little more legroom. But the SEATS DIDN'T RECLINE! Eleven hours, and the seats didn’t recline. They are fixed in place, rigid, and unmovable.

Never again!

What airline might be a better choice for Premium Economy where a person might actually get a little shut eye sometime during the 11 hours?

Is there not room service breakfast for all cabins?

There is. However, suites get a hot breakfast -- and you can ask for things you don't see on the slip. (Like lamb chops that are served for breakfast in the GDR.)

For lower suites it's a continental breakfast. Which is great if that's all you want!

BUT ... you can always order from room service which has more hot choices if that is what you want. Personally, even when we've been in lower suites we haven't done that, but I've seen posts suggesting this as an alternative.

Mura

Premium Economy is not always so premium. We flew back from Paris to Los Angeles last year, Premium Economy, on Air France. It was an airbus. The seats were wider and there was a little more legroom. But the SEATS DIDN'T RECLINE! Eleven hours, and the seats didn’t recline. They are fixed in place, rigid, and unmovable.

Never again!

What airline might be a better choice for Premium Economy where a person might actually get a little shut eye sometime during the 11 hours?

Were you in the row in front of the emergency exit row? As far as I can recall those and the last rows are the only ones I've ever seen that don't recline.

I know that premium economy isn't always so premium. I think it is Delta that calls something PE but it really isn't. We've been in PE on AA, BA, SAS ... all fine.

When we have flown in PE I never experienced seats that didn't recline at all Personally, I hate the reclining and tend not to do so -- at least when we are in economy -- because room is so tight. If we're in business, sure I'll recline. But for PE seats not to recline at all is a surprise to me.

On an 11 hour flight I sympathize with the discomfort you encountered.

I can understand LIMITING the amount of the recline, just because it can be so uncomfortable for the person in back of you. I'm not small, and when the person in front of me reclines all the way back I can't use my tray! So, I can see restricting the amount of recline.

But not eliminating it!

We were in PE on Air France but it was some years ago, I think in 2011. I don't recall if it was an Airbus but I think it probably was. Our seats definitely did recline. We liked those flights very much -- but found the food better on Lufthansa, which surprised us!

Mura

Were you in the row in front of the emergency exit row? As far as I can recall those and the last rows are the only ones I've ever seen that don't recline.

No, we were in the middle a couple rows back from the bulkhead. The entire Premim Economy section of the plane didn’t recline. I don’t remember. Maybe 8 rows. None of the seats reclined. I assumed it was an Air France or an airbus thing.

No, we were in the middle a couple rows back from the bulkhead. The entire Premim Economy section of the plane didn’t recline. I don’t remember. Maybe 8 rows. None of the seats reclined. I assumed it was an Air France or an airbus thing.

Wow that must have been very uncomfortable. If I have to sit for a long period my lower back would be so sore if I couldn't adjust my seat angle occasionally.

I do always check a site like Seat Guru just to make sure my long haul flights don't hold any unwelcome surprises.

Never again!

We use this site to check for seats that may be less than desirable: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_France/information.php

I just checked AF airbus seating and they state all of their Premium Economy seats are recliners. Refer to this site for seating on any airline before booking, just need to know the exact configuration for your possible flight.

Just reread your latest reply to location of your seat, you say eight rows- that is a much higher PE seat count than shown on any configuration for Air France, normal is 3 or 4 rows- 21 or 28 seats total. Except the monster Airbus 380, which may be too large to fly into LA??

Edited by arima22

Just for future reference, Concierge level and up have hot breakfast, Continental for all categories below.

Thank you for stating that. I was worried and getting ready to check the O website. But we ahave a concierge class cabin, and it looks like I will be able to get my eggs.

Never again!

BRITISH AIRWAYS!! BEST Prem. Economy experience! You'll pay for it though - it's usually double regular economy prices but you get a lot for it: more leg room, more recline, wider seat with nice thick leg rest that raises, excellent food and all the drinks you want included. Service is excellent too.

Before choosing your seats, you should always go to Seatguru.com and enter your flight information. Check out the seat map for your flight and read the comments. Take a look at all the pictures people have posted as well on the right hand side near the comments. It has really been a life-saver for me!