Just booked- some questions

KatieG73

We have just booked our first Cunard cruise and would appreciate some help with a couple of questions;

Soda Package - I can see if mentioned in the FAQ section but when I log into the Voyage Personaliser I can't see any way to purchase. Is it a case of phoning to purchase like the Wine packages?

Wine Package- Am thinking of purchasing this for my mum. She has a favourite wine, which luckily is listed in the wine package. If I buy the package, is it the same as other cruise lines, can she order the same bottle of wine every night?

Shops on board - My teenage daughter is delighted to hear there is a Michael Kors shop onboard. Can anyone advise if it the usual bags/purses/watches or if they also sell the clothes line too?

What other shops are onboard? Anything else that may appeal to a teenager with money burning a hole in her pocket? :D

Pricing -not a question, more an observation. We've cruised a fair bit and always assumed that Cunard would be waaaay out of our price range but we've actually found it pretty reasonable, indeed cheaper that the Disney/NCL alternatives that we were looking at. Appreciate no port fees for a transatlantic but still delighted by the cost. If we like it we'll be booking again for next years space week cruise.

You buy the soda package on board. It's available for the first 2 or 3 days only (I mean to buy that is), so just buy it on board on your first day and you will be sorted for the rest of your cruise. Simples.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Sorry -just thought of another question!

In the past due to the age of our Daughter we have normally cruised with Disney. Once booked you log into their website and pick your port arrival time. I don't see anything like this online, although I appreciate it's probably a bit early - is it the same sort of system? Or will we be allocated an arrival/check in time at a later stage?

We'll be flying to Southampton/London a couple of days before so not an issue flights wise but curious to know so we can book town car/limo.

We have just booked our first Cunard cruise and would appreciate some help with a couple of questions;

Soda Package - I can see if mentioned in the FAQ section but when I log into the Voyage Personaliser I can't see any way to purchase. Is it a case of phoning to purchase like the Wine packages?

Wine Package- Am thinking of purchasing this for my mum. She has a favourite wine, which luckily is listed in the wine package. If I buy the package, is it the same as other cruise lines, can she order the same bottle of wine every night?

Shops on board - My teenage daughter is delighted to hear there is a Michael Kors shop onboard. Can anyone advise if it the usual bags/purses/watches or if they also sell the clothes line too?

What other shops are onboard? Anything else that may appeal to a teenager with money burning a hole in her pocket? :D

Pricing -not a question, more an observation. We've cruised a fair bit and always assumed that Cunard would be waaaay out of our price range but we've actually found it pretty reasonable, indeed cheaper that the Disney/NCL alternatives that we were looking at. Appreciate no port fees for a transatlantic but still delighted by the cost. If we like it we'll be booking again for next years space week cruise.

Welcome to Cunard! I'll take a stab at your questions. By the way, I think you have made a great choice.

Soda Package - I agree with Mr. Toad. I am not aware of being able to pre-order the soda package. We always order ours once on board from the drinks waiter when we order our first sodas. The waiter will take your key card and return it with a sticker affixed to it indicating you have purchased the "soft drink package" along with a receipt to sign for the purchase.

Wine Package - We have never purchased a wine package, but I see no reason why you could not select the same wine for all of the bottles in the package if you so wished. But someone else with experience on how the wine packages work may have to confirm that.

Shops on board - Mrs. Bluemarble informs me it is her recollection that the Michael Kors shop on QM2 does not sell any of the clothing line. To get an idea of what other shops are available on QM2, I'd suggest taking a look at the "Shops Photos" found here within the photo collection in the post called "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2".

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Shops Photos - 114 Pictures

Hope this helps some and wishing you a wonderful and rewarding crossing on QM2.

Regards, John

Edited by bluemarble

Welcome to Cunard! I'll take a stab at your questions. By the way, I think you have made a great choice.

Soda Package - I agree with Mr. Toad. I am not aware of being able to pre-order the soda package. We always order ours once on board from the drinks waiter when we order our first sodas. The waiter will take your key card and return it with a sticker affixed to it indicating you have purchased the "soft drink package" along with a receipt to sign for the purchase.

Wine Package - We have never purchased a wine package, but I see no reason why you could not select the same wine for all of the bottles in the package if you so wished. But someone else with experience on how the wine packages work may have to confirm that.

Shops on board - Mrs. Bluemarble informs me it is her recollection is that the Michael Kors shop on QM2 does not sell any of the clothing line. To get an idea of what other shops are available on QM2, I'd suggest taking a look at the "Shops Photos" found here within the photo collection in the post called "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2".

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Shops Photos - 114 Pictures

Hope this helps some and wishing you a wonderful and rewarding corossing on QM2.

Regards, John

Thank you John, that's really helpful.

Will have a wee mooch through the photo's now.

Sorry -just thought of another question!

In the past due to the age of our Daughter we have normally cruised with Disney. Once booked you log into their website and pick your port arrival time. I don't see anything like this online, although I appreciate it's probably a bit early - is it the same sort of system? Or will we be allocated an arrival/check in time at a later stage?

We'll be flying to Southampton/London a couple of days before so not an issue flights wise but curious to know so we can book town car/limo.

Cunard will assign you an arrival time when they issue your e-tickets. But that is not a firm time. You will not be turned away or made to wait until your assigned time has arrived. It is more of a suggested time to even out the embarkation process.

Cunard will assign you an arrival time when they issue your e-tickets. But that is not a firm time. You will not be turned away or made to wait until your assigned time has arrived. It is more of a suggested time to even out the embarkation process.

Thank you!

Pretty sure these particular photos show the Michael Kors shop:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/queen-mary-2-qm2-294/shops-316468/shops--v14204832/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/queen-mary-2-qm2-294/shops-316468/shops--v14204608/

I was only in briefly, helping DW spend down an excess of OBC...

No, because you would pay from day 2.

I’ve never bought one so didn’t know how it worked, I thought when you purchased it was a set price for the whole voyage. Does that mean that if you buy it on day 2 or 3 it is a pro rata’d price?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do you think ?!

I don’t know that’s why I asked the question. I thought maybe it was one set price and purchased for the whole voyage.

I’ve never bought one and possibly never will but it was something that I wondered. The only sodas we drink are the ones in our gins so don’t think we drink enough gin to warrant purchasing the card, but maybe I could work on it.

I’ve never bought one so didn’t know how it worked, I thought when you purchased it was a set price for the whole voyage. Does that mean that if you buy it on day 2 or 3 it is a pro rata’d price?

Yes, you pay for the remaining days.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, as in "This is Cunard/Carnival, so there's no way on earth they would refund you anything" !!!!!

Thanks Toad, I can be the Queen of Sarcasm at times so it’s not wasted on me, it’s always hard to tell on forums how the writer means it to be read and vice verse. You are correct though it’s unlikely for Cunard to give anything away, but a girl can live in hope.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are permitted to take some drink on ship when boarding , your mum would be able to have a little drink of her fav wine in her stateroom any time.;p

You are permitted to take some drink on ship when boarding , your mum would be able to have a little drink of her fav wine in her stateroom any time.;p

Now that's fantastic -i know some cruise lines do not allow.

How much would be acceptable? We're not going to go mad or anything :halo: but my mum and I would both enjoy a glass or two of wine when getting ready for dinner or reading on the balcony. My husband isn't a big wine drinker but some beers in the cabin would go down well (although assume we can order from room service or use mini bar for those)

When I was looking at the drinks menu's onboard I didn't see Southern Comfort (which would be my spirit of choice) and wondered about bringing a bottle on board but in reality it would probably remain unopened as I do prefer to be out and about and other than a glass or two of wine getting ready for dinner I can't imagine me having much more to drink in the cabin.

Now that's fantastic -i know some cruise lines do not allow.

How much would be acceptable? We're not going to go mad or anything :halo: but my mum and I would both enjoy a glass or two of wine when getting ready for dinner or reading on the balcony. My husband isn't a big wine drinker but some beers in the cabin would go down well (although assume we can order from room service or use mini bar for those)

When I was looking at the drinks menu's onboard I didn't see Southern Comfort (which would be my spirit of choice) and wondered about bringing a bottle on board but in reality it would probably remain unopened as I do prefer to be out and about and other than a glass or two of wine getting ready for dinner I can't imagine me having much more to drink in the cabin.

I'm a bit hesitant to reply to these questions since it seems discussions of Cunard's alcohol policy have recently elicited almost as much passion on this board as the dress code, but here goes anyway.

You are absolutely entitled to bring one bottle of wine each. Here is what the Voyage Personaliser states.

"You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a $20 corkage fee."

The Cunard UK FAQ has a more general statement about the alcohol policy with no mention of a quantity limit.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change)."

In practice, Cunard does not currently limit passengers to bringing only one bottle of wine each on board. Posters here have reported they have been able to bring substantial quantities of alcohol on board Cunard ships without any problem. As long as you limit yourself to a reasonable quantity (as you have indicated you will), there should be no issue at all. Also, Cunard does not mention bringing other forms of alcohol on board besides wine and champagne, but again other posters have indicated they have been allowed to bring hard liquor and beer on board without any problem.

Of course this policy is subject to change by the time you actually sail, but this is my understanding of the current policy.

Regards, John