House select drinks package

Olepompey

Hi

Is it possible to do wine by corkage and pay for other drinks for the first couple of days and then sign up for the $40 a day package just for the rest of the trip?

Thanks

The "official" rule is that you must buy the Beverage Package(s) for the entire cruise or not at all. That said, they do allow a few days leeway at the start of the cruise, but the grace period isn't specifically defined.

How lucky do you feel? :confused:

Edited by StanandJim

As I recall on our last few cruises the package has been offered throughout. I do agree that originally they said you had to purchase it within the first 2-3 days, but on OUR cruises that hasn't been the case.

Mura

As I recall on our last few cruises the package has been offered throughout. I do agree that originally they said you had to purchase it within the first 2-3 days, but on OUR cruises that hasn't been the case.

Mura

Yes this has been my recent onboard experience also. They’ve advertised it in Currents till almost the end of the cruise.

Hi

Is it possible to do wine by corkage and pay for other drinks for the first couple of days and then sign up for the $40 a day package just for the rest of the trip?

Thanks

Yes. It's no problem to bring wines (or liquor) on board upon embarkation or at stops. They simply ask you not to consume in public places, although you can pay a wine corkage fee ($25?) for drinking your own wine at dinner. If you're lucky enough to have a butler, he will take care of getting wine chilled, serving it in your suite, or almost anything you ask.

On the Aussie circumnavigation we are currently on, we took the basic liquor package as our OLife amenity (wine by-the-glass and beer at meals only), then upgraded to Premium package (any liquor, anytime, anywhere liquor is being served--gratuity included, excluding only really high-priced cognacs or wine bottles from the cellar) for the last 16 days of a 34-day cruise--no problem. What's different on cruises since last year is that if you have either liquor package, you get a 15% discount on bottled wine (which almost covers the gratuity).

And upon boarding we were offered a special sale ("Holiday Sale") of about 35-40 good wines that we could purchase in any quantity at a 25% discount, and they would cellar for us. Still had to pay the gratuity, but there were some really nice wines of which they didn't have enough left to leave on the restaurant wine list. Then there was another group at I think 15% off if you bought three or more of the same wine.

So they are tinkering with the wine program; I think there were 5 different wine tastings on this cruise. The sommeliers are good at explaining exactly what the options are; Natasha was available in the Terrace Cafe with information all afternoon on embarkation day.

then upgraded to Premium package (any liquor, anytime, anywhere liquor is being served--gratuity included, excluding only really high-priced cognacs or wine bottles from the cellar) for the last 16 days of a 34-day cruise--no problem.

One correction on this, it’s only drinks that are on the bar menu, or can be made from ingredients from the bar menu that are covered by the prestige package. There are a lot of scotches in Horizons and Polo that are not covered, much to my chagrin.