YTD with Celiac

tw67

We always do late seating, My oldest son has Celiac, and can't have gluten. On Carnival he orders his meal the night before, and when we arrive at dinner, his food comes with the rest of ours, and has been made to be gluten free, with no cross contamination. We haven't had any problem when at late seating, We have thought about trying Your Time Dining, but wasn't sure how that worked with ordering his meal ahead of time.

I wanted to know if anyone ever had experience with this, and how it worked out for you. Thanks!

Edited by tw67
Wrong word!

I would think YTD would be difficult to co-ordinate for pre-made meals, since they have no idea when you are going to show up over a 4 or 5 hours timeframe.

Maybe book Late seating, then when you get on board ask the Maitre D' about realistic expectations for YTD?

Those are my exact thoughts. The next time he is cruising with us is at Christmas, so realistically we won't get YTD on that cruise if we wait. I will be cruising without the kids in September, so I may ask on that one for suggestions. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

DD is allergic to peanuts and treenuts. We’ve had no issues with ATD.

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR. At ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waitstaff when seated. They will confirm the order with you.

Only issue we've ever had was one cruise DD's food arrived before mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In late dining in the past you've had no problems with your son having the safe foods for him. My gut feeling is, even though there are procedures in place at YTD, I wouldn't mess with a good thing.:)

With fixed dining the staff gets to know you and will watch out for your safety.

Yes, I know not everyone agrees with that opinion but that's my 2 cents worth.

Those are my exact thoughts. The next time he is cruising with us is at Christmas, so realistically we won't get YTD on that cruise if we wait. I will be cruising without the kids in September, so I may ask on that one for suggestions. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We only do YTD dining and my husband does not eat gluten. My son also has allergies to pistachios and cashews. The first day of the cruise we go to the dining room and order meals for that evening. After we have eaten in the MDR, they order for the next night. He can also order for sea brunch the night before it is held (at dinner time). The orders are tied to your folio number so when we check in for our table, we tell them that we have an allergy. All the allergy orders are at the hostess' desk.

My son is allergic to dairy and lot friends daughter is allergic to all nuts and coconut. We had no problems with anytime, ordered ahead of time and when we will check in for a take they printed a little note that had the allergies listed and what was ordered ahead of time so the servers knew.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I too am Celiac, and had YTD. Loved the flexibility to our evening schedule, by pre-ordering the night before.

A couple nights our waiter explained that a component of my meal would take a few more min to prepare, but in reality we didn’t notice any delay.

We usually ate at the Lido deck for lunch and breakfast, where I would make my selections on the fly, mainly because we wanted to have a faster meal. When we had the Sea Day Brunch in the MD, our waiter would help me with my selections that could be made GF.

Don’t hesitate to use the flexibility of YTD.

My next 2 cruises are again booked with YTD.

We tried YTD on the Magic with Celiac and it was a fail. We pre-ordered our meals the first day at embarkation and went to dinner at 7:30. We had a bit of a wait to get in. The meals were ready, but were practically cold because they had been sitting there for who knows how long. When I mentioned it to the hostess she asked what time we would be coming the next night for dinner. Kind of defeats the purpose of YTD. After discussions with the Maitre D, he said it was easier for them if people with allergies had a set dining time. We switched back to late for the remainder of that cruise and have had it for every cruise since. Just so much easier when the waiter gets to know you and know that you are GF. That way the GF bread is already at their station and they usually also have the appetizers and salads ready to go. We get in and out much faster/

My husband has Celiac and we have been doing the anytime dining for the last several cruises and has always worked perfectly. If we like our dining team the first night, we request to be seated in their area each night after that and normally we went to eat about the time it opened every night.

My friend and I sailed the Vista in October. She has Celiac's, so like you I thought having a set dining time was the way to go. NEVER AGAIN, YTD from now on. Being tied into a set dining time caused us to miss some things we would have liked to have attended. We even skipped dinner in the dining room on the last night so we could attend all the events we wanted to.

Seeing as they tie your order to your folio number they can have it ready during YTD. We may have to wait a little longer to get served, but so be it.

Thank you all so much for the feed back. I really appreciate it, and this is when I love the Cruise Critic Boards. I have switched to YTD, and will see how it goes. We can always switch to Late if it isn't working out.

I will be sure that my son sees the comments, and I am sure that he will be fine with the switch.

Thanks again!

We always do late seating, My oldest son has Celiac, and can't have gluten. On Carnival he orders his meal the night before, and when we arrive at dinner, his food comes with the rest of ours, and has been made to be gluten free, with no cross contamination. We haven't had any problem when at late seating, We have thought about trying Your Time Dining, but wasn't sure how that worked with ordering his meal ahead of time.

I wanted to know if anyone ever had experience with this, and how it worked out for you. Thanks!

We have same issue with celiac. Have done YTD three cruises and never had a problem. They know where you are sitting from checking in at front. The waiter is automatically notified and your meal is prepaired as requested night before. We have been impresses every time at how it works