winddawn

Don’t fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct-2016 Pride of America 7nt Hawaiian Islands Cruise

24-Dec-2015 Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

I have a good idea as to where this is going due to this (or something similar) being asked all over Zuckerbook. Everyone is snivelling about how it's a waste of money (and maybe it is) that could be better spent on (insert your favorite perk that doesn't exist any more here). For what they are paying Shaq they could probably bring back a few of the perks for a limited time. Maybe weeks, maybe months, then the chocolates on the pillows will be gone again, and your Steward will be back to asking if you want once or twice a day room cleaning. I'm "meh" about the whole Shaq thing, but the perks that are gone are most likely gone for good and things will continue to change no matter what else CCL decides to spend or waste money on.

Having these celebrity ambassadors for certain cruiselines or ships is stupid. Just like when Pitbull was named godfather of the NCL Escape. Yea, the former gangbanging drug dealer really sealed the deal for me to sail the Escape ..... :rolleyes: Waste of money...... just like Shaq. No one cares ......

I can promise the money is not that great. Shaq will throw his name on anything. I have seen more commercials with him for the General insurance than mentions of him with Carnival.

I saw mention they will be advertising during the Winter Olympics, it is probably geared for then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Attaching a celebrity to a brand has a downside because it alienates those who are not fans. There are lots of people unhappy with the Oprah/HAL alliance and some unhappy with the Princess/Curtis Stone thing.

I certainly hope they fully vetted him. The way things have been going with celebrities lately he could be accused of anything that happened years ago by anyone. George Lopez certainly did not turn out good for a family brand and Guy Fieri has recently been accused of being homophobic, sexually harassing women and being anti-Semitic. Not good to be associated with that.

7 foot Nay! First, I just don’t think Shaq is funny or entertaining. He was a great basketball player but that has nothing to do with cruising. Michael Phelps would be a more appropriate person.

Second, I just don’t think Shaq is a wholesome character. I’m a bit of a hedonist so I could care less but I know I’m not like the average American. If I was getting a spokesperson for a family company, I’d be thinking more along the lines of Tim Tebow (full-disclosure huge Tebow fan) or Blake Bortles. If they are going for the fun factor and don’t care about wholesome, Gronk would be a good fit too, he’s still playing and is known to be a party animal - good clean fun too, never hear of him trashing hotels or getting in fights or sexual abuse or anything. The guy just likes to have f-u-n!!

He's like a little kid..... Gentle Giant. Blake Bortles???? Who is he?? (JK) But, are you kidding me??? lol And let's not go down the road with Tebow. We have enough devisiveness in this country and Carnival would have a Religious backlash if that ever happened??

He's like a little kid..... Gentle Giant. Blake Bortles???? Who is he?? (JK) But, are you kidding me??? lol And let's not go down the road with Tebow. We have enough devisiveness in this country and Carnival would have a Religious backlash if that ever happened??

I don’t think Tebow is devisive, the media may portray that but I never hear him exuding anything but positivity. Doesn’t matter what religion you are, if you’re working to make the world better/happier/nicer, I’m going to support it and so are most people. All Tebow did in college and the NFL was win and be a good teamate, if he get’s his jollies going to church vs. making it rain at strip clubs (Huge Pacman Jobes fan) who cares?

I don't get why anyone would care. A Celebrities name on a plaque or whatnot somewhere on a ship makes 0.0% difference to the enjoyment of my cruise.

A celebrity themselves would actually reduce my enjoyment - probably surrounded by security getting in my way from getting around the ship, and I suspect deep down inside they're miserable for the experience, being constantly in the spotlight and "interacting with guests".

Come on..... you do not really think that Tebow has as much pull as Shaq, do you?

Easy! College Football and NFL are bigger than the NBA. He also has a big following among religious and civic minded people. I tried to catch one of his minor league games last summer and the stadium had been sold out for MONTHS! Shaq hasn’t been a star in at least 10 years. He’s so old his kids are going to be playing. If CCL is going after first time cruisers, I think there’s going to be more who recognize Tebow than Shaq. Tebow’s fanbase is also more diehard!

Finally, Tebow is a Florida guy. Even people who despise the Gators down there love him. Florida is a yuge market for CCL and I think he’d help get Florida people. Same way really with all SEC states, the people of the South seem to love Manning and Tebow, not just Gator and Vols fans.

Not a sports fan so - "Nay". For that matter' date=' not sure there are any celebrities whose endorsement would cause me to choose a product.[/quote']

Just to be clear, I agree with your last statement. Kanye West is probably the only person who could endorse something and would make me consider purchasing it. I trust his stylistic, artistic and cultural comments/critiques. Donald Trump, George W. Bush and maybe Tom Petty if he were alive would also be contenders. I just don’t connect with too many “celebs” really. Carnival couldn’t afford those guys anyways so if they were to endorse, you’d have to think they really believed in what they were saying. The fact that Shaq peddals so much stuff, it kind of cheapens his endorsement.

Steve, you have lost touch....not even in the same ionosphere. F or the sake of not getting carried away, I will keep it brief. From an education perspective it is a no brainer, Shaq did leave LSU a year early to go into the NBA but did return and get his degree, followed up by an MBA and Doctorate. He was the NBA rookie of the year, NBA MVP, 2 NBA scoring titles, 15 all star selections, 3 all star game MVP's, one of three to win a MVP, All star MVP and finals MVP, ended up 3rd in field goal percentage and is in the NBA hall of fame, he led his teams to 4 NBA championships, he has starred in multiple movies, he is a TV and movie star and I can go on. Possibly one of the most popular sports personalities of all time. I could go on, but this is enough.

Steve, you have lost touch....not even in the same ionosphere. F or the sake of not getting carried away, I will keep it brief. From an education perspective it is a no brainer, Shaq did leave LSU a year early to go into the NBA but did return and get his degree, followed up by an MBA and Doctorate. He was the NBA rookie of the year, NBA MVP, 2 NBA scoring titles, 15 all star selections, 3 all star game MVP's, one of three to win a MVP, All star MVP and finals MVP, ended up 3rd in field goal percentage and is in the NBA hall of fame, he led his teams to 4 NBA championships, he has starred in multiple movies, he is a TV and movie star and I can go on. Possibly one of the most popular sports personalities of all time. I could go on, but this is enough.

Kazzam is objectively one of the worst movies ever. His rap albums are made fun of. I’m not arguing he wasn’t a great player but he was a great player a relatively long time ago. Further he was one of the stars his whole career but never THE star of the league like Tebow was his three years as a starter in college. LOL at Shaq having advanced degrees. I have gone to battle with my university about cheapening our degrees basically giving them to athletes and actors who take classes as their schedules allow. They are often very nice people but they always put in the minimum effort and we are forced to pass them.

Agreed. He has also bought a few businesses here in Atlanta and from all local accounts, is legitimately a nice guy.

I don't really care too much about Carnival's decision either way, but I don't view it as a detriment.

Absolutely no reason to think he will do anything to make my cruise better.

I agreed with that' date=' and I doubt they hired him for that purpose. He is there to attract new cruisers, not win back cruisers that have moved on and may come back, or even die hard cruisers like me.[/color']