Need advise laguardia to cape liberty

we really need some advice please...taking a cruise out of port liberty. We have dividend miles so can fly into laguardia or Newark. My preference is LGA because the flights get in before 9:am. Flights into Newark don't arrive until almost 12:00. Doesn't leave much room for possible delays, etc. I saw on CC that getting from LGA to port can be nighmare...please advise. Don't really want to go night before but.... if that's the best can you suggest best hotel and is they shuttle. Sorry this is so long but want to get all options. Thanks

we really need some advice please...taking a cruise out of port liberty. We have dividend miles so can fly into laguardia or Newark. My preference is LGA because the flights get in before 9:am. Flights into Newark don't arrive until almost 12:00. Doesn't leave much room for possible delays, etc. I saw on CC that getting from LGA to port can be nighmare...please advise. Don't really want to go night before but.... if that's the best can you suggest best hotel and is they shuttle. Sorry this is so long but want to get all options. Thanks

What exact date are you cruising? Where are you flying from? The problem with sailing from Cape Liberty is that if you miss the ship, the next port is usually at least 2 days away, which is why coming in the day before is recommended. Nobody really wants to come in the day before, but ... most of us suck it up and do it for peace of mind.

We are flying in the day before and arrive at EWR @ 11:00 a.m. I got a room at the Country Inn and Suites from LastMinuteTravel.com.

This was my preferred hotel due to its proximity to restaurants, mall and movie theater so we have something to do that day.

We are flying in the day before and arrive at EWR @ 11:00 a.m. I got a room at the Country Inn and Suites from LastMinuteTravel.com.

This was my preferred hotel due to its proximity to restaurants, mall and movie theater so we have something to do that day.

Residence Inn and Embassy Suites are almost right next door and across the street....hope you have a better opinion of Country Inn & Suites than we did this past October :eek:

Ok...this is helpful but none of you responded about flying into LGA??? There is a early flight arrival. Not a good idea??

Honestly we need more information to give you the best advice. Could you answer the questions that were asked? "What exact date are you cruising? Where are you flying from?"

Also, what airline are you using?

There are so many factors to consider.

Ok...this is helpful but none of you responded about flying into LGA??? There is a early flight arrival. Not a good idea??

If everything goes as planned you’ll make it no problem. But if there are flight delays then you’re in trouble. Don’t forget you have to check in to the port 2 hours before your cruise leaves. If it’s winter I definitely wouldn’t risk it. One way to save time is only have a carryon. This way you won’t have to wait for your luggage to unload. This takes a long time at NY airports because there are lots of flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a weekday...maybe Wednesday??

OK - which ship do you think you're sailing on? My guess is Anthem, which sails on a Thursday at 4 pm. This means that you have to be on board by 2:30 pm.

American has multiple flights from CLT to LGA on a Thur arriving at 7:45, 9:57, and 11:59. If you must do this, I would be on one of the first two flights and have a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo booked to take you to Cape Liberty. They will quote a base price. Tolls and 18-20% tip on base price are the extras.

Yes...I am familiar with all the flights. I am questioning the time. Want to make sure we have time to get from the airport to port. I think I said earlier that other posters say not to do LGA. We just need to make a decision.

Flying into Newark a day early and getting a room or taking the chance with LGA.

Yes...I am familiar with all the flights. I am questioning the time. Want to make sure we have time to get from the airport to port. I think I said earlier that other posters say not to do LGA. We just need to make a decision.

Flying into Newark a day early and getting a room or taking the chance with LGA.

I'd price out both. Get a car service quote from Carmellimo and Dial7. Tolls could run as much as $28.65 depending on the route, which would be chosen depending on the traffic conditions at the time and whether the car service has to deadhead back into NYC. Expected tip would be 18-20% of the base price. Compare that to trinityreservations.com for a sleep/cruise package for $193 tax included for a room at the Ramada and round trip port transportation.

I think you'll be surprised at the result.

I'd never recommend flying in the day of the cruise, but that's not to say people don't do it, so it comes down to how much risk you're willing to take.

If you decide to fly in to LGA the day of the cruise, then I would recommend the earliest flight that is scheduled to arrive at 7:45 am.

Carol makes an excellent point about the cost of a hotel near EWR for a night that includes a port shuttle being very competitive with what you will spend for a car service to get from LGA to the port.

I'd never recommend flying in the day of the cruise, but that's not to say people don't do it, so it comes down to how much risk you're willing to take.

If you decide to fly in to LGA the day of the cruise, then I would recommend the earliest flight that is scheduled to arrive at 7:45 am.

Carol makes an excellent point about the cost of a hotel near EWR for a night that includes a port shuttle being very competitive with what you will spend for a car service to get from LGA to the port.

Let alone computing the return costs. Even if the OP flies home from Newark, it will cost at least $40 for 2 people to get back to EWR. So the $193 - $40 is only $153 to come in the day before for a hotel and port transportation.

Yep...I am in agreement about going a day early. We have been looking at hotels all afternoon and looking at reviews there's not a lot to offer but doing the math it's peace of mind to get there ahead of time. So if you have a good hotel recommendation let me know.

Thanks for all the help, as usual cruise critic and TripAdvisor are my travel bibles.

Yep...I am in agreement about going a day early. We have been looking at hotels all afternoon and looking at reviews there's not a lot to offer but doing the math it's peace of mind to get there ahead of time. So if you have a good hotel recommendation let me know.

Thanks for all the help, as usual cruise critic and TripAdvisor are my travel bibles.

The EWR airport hotels are airport hotels. Enough said. Look at the trinityreservations.com package with port transportation at the Ramada. If that doesn't suit, give us an exact date, hotel budget, number of people, and bed size requirements. Port transportation would be extra on top of the hotel and would run about $40 each way.

Getting from LGA to the port could take up to 2 hours during the week. LGA is under major construction and then just dealing with general NYC traffic. Since you're getting in before 9AM you should probably get to the port by noon (assuming you have to go to baggage claim). Not sure how you plan to get from LGA to the port - taxi, uber, rental car??

Can't help answer any hotel questions - sorry.