World Cruise - Solo Style!

World Cruising
A place for world and extended length cruisers to share advice and experiences.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:54 AM.
Virginia
23,994 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
If you want an interior or ocean view, HAL will charge 150-165% while Princess charges 200% on all cabins. If you want a balcony or suite, Princess will come in at a lower price. I called Oceania and was told they always charge 200% for world cruises/grand voyages (although the OLife choices are nice).

One thing I really dislike about the Oceania cruise is that it goes east so you are constantly losing an hour as you change time zones. The no assigned seating would be a deal breaker for me. Having to eat with different people all the time would be "cruel and unusual punishment". I am very much an introvert and take time to get to know people. Having to do the "who are you" "where are you from", etc. introductions numerous times would be tortuous. HAL has been very good about assigning solos tables together or at least with a few others and maybe a couple or two.

ETA - I just saw that Oceania will go west on its 2019 WC.

Something else to keep in mind is your travel agent. Mine gives a 6% discount (of the commissionable fare) on HAL (not sure if they do with other lines). I also get a night before the cruise in a hotel as well as transfers from airport to hotel to ship. They also provide a cocktail party and dinner the night before the cruise starts and hosts on the ship to help with problems. You get a few other perks as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/
Around the World Again - https://2018halgwv.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
Amsterdam - Grand World Voyage - 2018
413 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by BassettMom
I too want to do a world cruise solo. It won't be for a few years since I need to retire first, but starting to gather information and of course save plenty of money. I've cruised on Princess and Holland America, so those are possibilities, and I keep reading about Oceania and hear that while they are more expensive, the amenities may make up for the higher up-front cost, so I"ll consider them as well. While I enjoy a few formal nights, I've ruled out Cunard as being a bit too formal for me.

So, of the three contenders (Princess, HAL, and Oceania), wondering which is better for solos in terms of solo supplement, and dining arrangements. I would prefer not to eat alone (especially for that many nights) and I know Princess and HAL have traditional assigned dining, which would work, but not sure how "anytime" dining would work on world cruise, especially on Oceania.

This is probably one of the less important considerations (cost and itinerary being top considerations), but still a factor in overall enjoyment. Any advice/comments appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Have you heard of Fred.Olsen or Cruise and Maritime Voyages? These lines market primarily to the UK, and their ships are significantly smaller than the ships in the other lines you mentioned. For some, that is a disadvantage, but for others, like myself, it it is an advantage.

This year, I was on two Fred.Olsen ships for four weeks each, and I can warmly and strongly recommend the line. A felllow passenger on both of those cruises is going on the Black Watch's November 2018 world cruise that will be in Sydney for the New Year. That sounds cool, doesn't it?

Also, I was able to get very good solo occupancy deals on the Fred.Olsen cruises, which I booked a month and a couple of weeks before the departure dates. Even if you do not book at the last minute, I think the line's world cruise solo occupancy prices are quite attractive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
55 nights on Fred.Olsen
47 nights on NCL
17 nights on Royal Caribbean
7 nights on HAL
3 nights on Disney
UK
2,193 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
What a fantastic thread.
It is my ambition to do a WC and this has been a great read. I look forward to reading the blogs.
I plan to retire in early 2019 and I will try to make this my goal in 2020 or 21.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
California
2,177 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by BassettMom

So, of the three contenders (Princess, HAL, and Oceania), wondering which is better for solos in terms of solo supplement, and dining arrangements. I would prefer not to eat alone (especially for that many nights) and I know Princess and HAL have traditional assigned dining, which would work, but not sure how "anytime" dining would work on world cruise, especially on Oceania.
I wonder if a world cruise would be different, in that you would get to know other cruisers on board quite quickly (especially on a smaller ship such as Oceania's Insignia with a capacity of 684 passengers)? I agree that having to do the standard introductions/small talk each evening for over a hundred nights, or to dine alone, would not be fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
Laurel, MD
614 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I’m planning to do a solo world cruise (30 to 40 days) near the end of 2020 for my 50th. I’m looking at Princess or Holland America at this time. I hope to find the right cruise and book it in 2019.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises

Crown Princess Southern Caribbean, November 2017 (Thanksgiving)
Anthem of the Seas Bermuda and Caribbean, May 2017
Celebrity Silhouette Bahamas, January 2017
Norwegian Breakaway Bahamas and Florida, November 2016 (Thanksgiving)
Norwegian Escape Eastern Caribbean, May 2016
Star Princess West Coast Getaway, November 2015 (Thanksgiving)
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, May 2015
Carnival Victory Western Caribbean, August 2014
Majesty of the Seas Bahamas, August 2013
Carnival Glory Cruise to Nowhere, May 2013

Upcoming Cruises
Norwegian Epic Western Mediterranean from Barcelona, May 2018
Symphony of the Seas Western Caribbean, November 2018
Celebrity Solstice, Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord, May 2019
Celebrity Edge, Western Caribbean, November 2019
USA
5,282 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by cruisebrotha06
I’m planning to do a solo world cruise (30 to 40 days) near the end of 2020 for my 50th. I’m looking at Princess or Holland America at this time. I hope to find the right cruise and book it in 2019
You're likely looking for what cruise lines call "segments" or "grand voyages" which are different parts of a world cruise. An actual world cruise is just what it says - it goes all the way around the world, taking anywhere from 90-180 days. Segments are often 14-35 day portions. Sometimes the segments are published later than the world cruise. Hope you find a fun segment!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

Laurel, MD
614 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
This is a great group. I often cruise solo and have been thinking about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises

Crown Princess Southern Caribbean, November 2017 (Thanksgiving)
Anthem of the Seas Bermuda and Caribbean, May 2017
Celebrity Silhouette Bahamas, January 2017
Norwegian Breakaway Bahamas and Florida, November 2016 (Thanksgiving)
Norwegian Escape Eastern Caribbean, May 2016
Star Princess West Coast Getaway, November 2015 (Thanksgiving)
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, May 2015
Carnival Victory Western Caribbean, August 2014
Majesty of the Seas Bahamas, August 2013
Carnival Glory Cruise to Nowhere, May 2013

Upcoming Cruises
Norwegian Epic Western Mediterranean from Barcelona, May 2018
Symphony of the Seas Western Caribbean, November 2018
Celebrity Solstice, Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord, May 2019
Celebrity Edge, Western Caribbean, November 2019
413 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by cruisebrotha06
This is a great group. I often cruise solo and have been thinking about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020.
I also have thought about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020. Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed two four-week long cruises on Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines, and I would lean toward doing the world cruise on them.

I was on the Black Watch for one of those cruises. This year, that ship is doing two world cruises, including one that leaves Southampton in November and is in Sydney, Australia, for the New Year!

Also, FOCL's world cruise or grand voyage fares can be significantly lower than other lines.

In case you're wondering, I'm not British and I'm under 50 years old, making me in the distinct minority on FOCL. While I understand others who might not want to be on a ship almost completely made up of people from the UK over 60, it was a non-issue for me. My fellow passengers were interesting and interested. I thought they were great, and I would prefer to cruise with that demographic than with some other demographics.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
55 nights on Fred.Olsen
47 nights on NCL
17 nights on Royal Caribbean
7 nights on HAL
3 nights on Disney
2,329 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by jlajr
I also have thought about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020. Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed two four-week long cruises on Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines, and I would lean toward doing the world cruise on them.

I was on the Black Watch for one of those cruises. This year, that ship is doing two world cruises, including one that leaves Southampton in November and is in Sydney, Australia, for the New Year!

Also, FOCL's world cruise or grand voyage fares can be significantly lower than other lines.

In case you're wondering, I'm not British and I'm under 50 years old, making me in the distinct minority on FOCL. While I understand others who might not want to be on a ship almost completely made up of people from the UK over 60, it was a non-issue for me. My fellow passengers were interesting and interested. I thought they were great, and I would prefer to cruise with that demographic than with some other demographics.
I did the world cruise on Cunard in 2016 of 120 days and when I was 54, the older demographics didn't bother me a bit I met some fantastic people and had amazing experiences. In fact, I'd say that trip was one of the highlights of my life so far and Im planning to do it again in 2019.

My advice to anyone is that it will never be cheaper than it is today and do it now while you are still young enough and able enough to enjoy it....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 World Cruise Blog http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/?view=magazine
2017 World Cruise Blog http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz
the more polished general cruise bloghttp://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz
QE2 2002 Tahiti - Auckland
QM2 2004 Southhampton - New York
QE2 2006 New York - Panama - Los Angeles
QV 2008 Singapore - Southampton
QV 2010 Singapore - Southampton
QE 2011 Auckland
Pacific Pearl 2011 South Pacific Cruise
QV 2011 Venice to Rome
QV 2011 Rome to Rome
QE 2012 San Francisco - Sydney
QM2 2013 Auckland - Africa - Southampton
QV 2014 Rio to Sydney
L'Austral 2015 Auckland
QV 2015 Auckland
QV 2016 Southampton - Southampton Full World
QV 2017 Valparaiso to San Francisco
Explorer of the Seas 2018 Sydney to Sydney
QE 2019 Japan to Alaska
QV 2019 San Francisco to Auckland
South Carolina
507 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by Roz
Bassett Mom,

When I've done mock solo bookings, HAL's pricing for singles always beats out the competition.

Roz

I did a mock booking for a solo and the price came back at 200% of the per person rate based on the 2pp cabin rate. Am I doing some thing wrong here.?? Should I be talking to a TA??

101,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
BassettMom, be sure if you do Oceania that you try out that specific ship. They have two classes of ships so try that one or the sister one.

I am not being negative because I love long world cruises but Oceania's world cruise is the longest of any of them so consider that when you decide. For me a cruise of that length would work but for others it would be too long.

Keith
California
2,177 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Keith1010
BassettMom, be sure if you do Oceania that you try out that specific ship. They have two classes of ships so try that one or the sister one.

I am not being negative because I love long world cruises but Oceania's world cruise is the longest of any of them so consider that when you decide. For me a cruise of that length would work but for others it would be too long.

Keith
Following up on Keith's comment..... I am wondering what people feel about the 180 day Oceania world cruise (as opposed to ~110 or so cruise lengths provided by other lines)?

My thinking is that it would be great, and if you are making all of the arrangements to be away from ~110 days, then there would not really be any difference in being away longer, but I wonder what others think.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
USA
5,282 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by Smokeyham
Following up on Keith's comment..... I am wondering what people feel about the 180 day Oceania world cruise (as opposed to ~110 or so cruise lengths provided by other lines)?

My thinking is that it would be great, and if you are making all of the arrangements to be away from ~110 days, then there would not really be any difference in being away longer, but I wonder what others think.
Many of their world cruisers say how much they loved the length and rebook future O world cruises again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

Henderson NV
1,402 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by Keith1010

Keith
Good advice. I would definitely plan to cruise on whatever ship is doing the world cruise before I actually book the world cruise just to be sure the ship is a "good fit".

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Diamond Princess, Mar 18-26, 2019, Japan and Taiwan

My cruise blog: http://phoenix-voyager1.blogspot.com/
Past Cruises:
Emerald Princess, Nov 22-26, 2017, Cabo San Lucas Getaway
Diamond Princess, Oct 17-26, 2017, Circle Japan
Ruby Princess, Nov 19-26, 2016, Mexican Riviera
Crown Princess, Feb 13-20, 2016, Mexican Riviera
Star Princess, Nov 25-29, 2015, California Coastal Thanksgiving Cruise
Royal Princess, Aug 1-13, 2015, British Isles
Ocean Princess, Jan 27-Feb 6, 2015, Tahiti and French Polynesia
Golden Princess, Oct 24-27, 2014, West Coast Getaway Weekend Cruise
Pacific Princess, Jun 3-10, 2014, Alaska Inside Passage Cruise
Star Princess, Dec 20, 2013 to Jan 4, 2014, Hawaii Holiday Cruise
Caribbean Princess, Mar 16-23, 2013, Southern Caribbean
Holland America's Amsterdam, Dec 5-22, 2012, Panama Canal (Eastbound)
Diamond Princess, Mar 14-29, 2012, SE Asia and China
Sapphire Princess, Dec 31, 2011 to Jan 7, 2012, Mexican Riviera
Sapphire Princess, Sep 11-18, 2011, Alaska Inside Passage
Sapphire Princess, Apr 9-16, 2011, Mexican Riviera
Holland America's Zaandam, Dec 19, 2010 to Jan 2, 2011, Circle Hawaii Cruise