Pacific Dawn. Man overboard!!

Neicy& Ron

Yes very sad.

On our recent cruise on Rhapsody, the captain said that it was impossible to jump overboard without jumping or being assisted.

He did tell of one lady who jumped over on one of his cruises and she was very happy to be rescued and decided after all it wasn't the thing to do.

Yes, at the View from the Top Q&A session on Rhapsody, Captain Olav answered a question with a similar response - and also that the passenger was recovered in 20 minutes.

Apparently his GF is in trouble because she saw him jump and didnt tell anyone. He is getting a $60,000 fine and possible time in jail. He was very drunk.

Ouch! What an expensive waste of a holiday :rolleyes:. I hope he learnt his lesson!!! (I wonder if P&O will ban him from all future cruising?).

what happened to P&O. P&O Australia revamped it's Security/Alcohol policies. The company adopted the NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy (RSA.) One way of enforcing that policy is to be able to control the alcohol flow on board by refusing passengers bringing their own booze on board ship.

this a quote from a nother thread of mine that some one posted so what happend on the dawn looks like this policies dont work ,

what happened to P&O. P&O Australia revamped it's Security/Alcohol policies. The company adopted the NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy (RSA.) One way of enforcing that policy is to be able to control the alcohol flow on board by refusing passengers bringing their own booze on board ship.

this a quote from a nother thread of mine that some one posted so what happend on the dawn looks like this policies dont work ,

P&O adopted those policies to do their bit as far as controlling alcohol. They can only do so much. Remember, every pub, club & licenced restaurant in NSW (not sure about other states) also have these policies but people still get drunk.

Thied

I can assure you after just returning from the New Years Cruise that the security staff and the RSA Officers do their job with excellence, you will notice them if you cruise they wear black and have RSA written acrosse the pocket and on the back of their shirts.

I know for a fact that there were over 105 cards cancelled at about day 7 to stop passengers buying alcohol when they were deemed inebriated and they were not reactivated until the passenger reported to have them reactivated the following day.

However in saying this and i was young once it doesnt stop other ppl buying the alcohol for them and and if caught they can also get into trouble. I think some ppl need to get into the club, pubs etc in main cities and see how the patrons behave there and you will find it is a hell of a lot stricter onboard a ship then frequenting these places :D

Kruzein

P&O can only do so much. They can serve alcohol responsbily, but of course others can buy it for them.

And of course there's always smuggling alcohol on board as so many seem so desperately keen to do, so P&O can't control it all.

Just returned from this cruise.. the man overboard alarm came one around 5am in all the cabins and then the rest just in the hallways

the captain asked us all to look out for anyone floating and found him at the front of the ship once the ship had turned.. was unconscious upon rescue

was very lucky it was breaking dawn and the only calm point of the whole cruise

do not know about any of the rumours/reasons other than it was from deck 7 and yes the gf did collapse upon his rescue, and he was discharged at vila into a hospital and then medically escourted to australia

Not sue about the argument because a group of friends were being interviewed afterwards :confused: more in my review

and yes the ship may be jinxed.. we had:

the delay

sinks blocking and toilets overflowing on deck 6 second night

rough seas the whole cruise, many people sick

leaking roof and toilets refusing to flush on deck 6 last night

last day was violent and the showlounge stage had to be roped off due to an air conditioning vent crashing down narrowly missing a youngie rehearsing for pacific pop star.. hope the next cruise is a bit more drama-free

rumour that 31 were removed at vila.. dont know how much of that to believe

Hi Sundance

I'm waiting really impatiently (lol) for your review. I'm sure it will be wonderful and please include everything. I love reading reviews and everyone always has something different and interesting to write.

Thanks Liz

P.S. Hope you had a great time! - and whats with the toilets?

• 9 years later...
This thread is nine years old.

I do hope the lady that went over today is found safe and well, it doesn't look good though does it.

I spent four pages reading about a 2009 event where the person was rescued so I thought everything was fine. Maybe this needed its own thread hey? [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So will this be the third person whose jumped overboard in the last few years from the same ship? Or have I missed counted?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

News reports are all saying she went onto the deck because she was feeling ill and was hit by a freak wav, then washed off. I haven’t seen anything to say this poor woman jumped.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-liner/news-story/54a4109235d78dbaeeb2f2d98327ebd1

I agree, a new thread should have been started.

Hard to believe - the storm wasn't so big that waves were crashing over the ship. The barriers are just too high for this to conceivably happen as described unless she climbed it and hung her body over the edge to be sick - an insanely risky thing to do.

Hard to believe - the storm wasn't so big that waves were crashing over the ship. The barriers are just too high for this to conceivably happen as described unless she climbed it and hung her body over the edge to be sick - an insanely risky thing to do.

Have you not heard of rogue waves? She was being ill. She was most likely not in full control. Your comments are not helpful. This is a tragedy.

News reports are all saying she went onto the deck because she was feeling ill and was hit by a freak wav, then washed off. I haven’t seen anything to say this poor woman jumped.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-liner/news-story/54a4109235d78dbaeeb2f2d98327ebd1

I agree, a new thread should have been started.

It was 🧐

Sent from my iPad using Forums