Vancouver Breweries

My husband loves craft beers. Can anyone recommend some breweries or brewpubs to visit, especially ones that have tours? We're staying 5 days in Vancouver after our cruise and are looking for something to do. We have already booked the two HOHO loops for separate days. It's my DD (21), DH and I.

My husband loves craft beers. Can anyone recommend some breweries or brewpubs to visit, especially ones that have tours? We're staying 5 days in Vancouver after our cruise and are looking for something to do. We have already booked the two HOHO loops for separate days. It's my DD (21), DH and I.

Where are you staying downtown?

Take skytrain from wherever you are staying to Main Street Science World Station. From there you have Main Street Brewing, Brassneck, 33 acres, Faculty, and R&B all within a 15 minute walk from the station.

Walking distance from downtown you can go to Postmark Brewing in the Settlement building. Takes me about 15 minutes from Waterfront station (you do cross a sketchy area at times) but no problems there.

Graville Island Brewing does tours, It is on Granville Island, I think you can book tours online.

Another option is take skytrain to Port Moody and there are four breweries close to that station, will take a bit longer to get out that way but very nice.

If you have a car East Vancouver has a good number, my favorite being Parallel 49 and Andina.

I typically don't do tours at these places, but you can usually see the Tanks in the back and what not.

Let me know if you have any questions. My weekend routine is riding my bike and brewery hopping

also check out: http://craftbeervancouver.ca/breweries/ can check under the "tours" tab

I'd concur with all of the above depending what your taste in beer is; I also think tours of a brewery are pointless unless you've never done one before, or there is some sort of truly unique situation in play (we don't have anything like the Guinness Brewery tour where there's a bunch of history and a well-polished 'show' involved) but if tours of inside a brewery are your bag, Granville is the most convenient one to visit from downtown. There's also a second brewery on Granville Island, Dockside, inside the eponymous hotel - and a Sake maker for a bit of a change from beer!

Red Truck is the biggest East Van craft brewery - has a full resto attached not just a tasting room - and they're also a short walk from Main St station. Luppolo, Bomber, and Callister form a nice little triad to visit further east than here or Postmark - with the advantage of gelato in La Casa for dessert just a block away from the first of these.

Local company that tours multiple breweries, as opposed to tours inside them, so you don't have to worry about transportation could also be an option (link here).

Personally though unless you hit the really quirky spots - of those listed, you will almost always find at least one weird beer in Brassneck, Faculty, R&B, and 33 Acres (whose entire range is quirky) - then by far the most efficient way to sample a variety of local beers is to simply visit one good local bar!

The Alibi Room always has more beers than anyone could drink and live, and it has the finest-curated list in Western Canada I've come across - including WA, OR, CA beers as well as BC brews. This is also the best place to try Cask Ales, as they usually have 2 on any day of the week and are one of very few bars that have a clue how to actually handle live beer properly - Cascade Room on Main always has one cask on, almost no other bars offer any on a regular basis (they tend to have one day a week for Casks instead).

Tap & Barrel also offer a ton of BC beers and have multiple very convenient downtown patios with awesome views - plus local wines on tap for non-beer-drinkers. It doesn't get any more convenient, and they even have some unique-to-them collaboration brews available. Central City opened their own brewpub downtown in the old Dix brewery spot in Yaletown (one of the original trio, along with SteamWorks and Yaletown, of brewpubs licensed back in the 80s) which offers a full slate of seasonal CC brews and many guest beers - decent grub too.