San Francisco: New, Best, Different?!!?

We are planning on doing Greyline to starting at 9am to Muir woods and then to sausalito with the sam grayline tour. We will catch the ferry back to the port. Should be back by 5p. We have 5pm - 10pm pm to check out Ferry Building and other local sites.

Appreciate this mention about taking a Greyline tour. Way back in early January 1969, after being in Pasadena for an Ohio State University win over USC in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, we did a one-day fly up to San Francisco. We took a Greyline tour. Worked very, very well for getting an initial sampling in the Bay City. Glad to know that Greyline is still operating. Sounds like a good plan/option to consider and do. Good luck with your visit to this charming and fascinating city.

From the New York Times this morning, they have this headline: San Francisco’s Big Seismic Gamble with these highlights: Sailors arriving in San Francisco in the 19th century used two giant redwood trees perched on a hill to help guide their ships into the bay. The redwoods were felled for their lumber at around the time of the gold rush, but San Francisco now has a new beacon: Salesforce Tower, the tallest office building in the West. Clustered around the 1,070-foot tower are a collection of high rises built on the soft soil and sand on the edge of the bay. They represent a bold symbol of a new San Francisco, but also a potential danger for a city that sits precariously on unstable, earthquake-prone ground. San Francisco lives with the certainty that the Big One will come. But the city is also putting up taller and taller buildings clustered closer and closer together because of the state’s severe housing shortage.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/17/us/san-francisco-earthquake-seismic-gamble.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 231,228 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 3 weeks later...

From our most recent "adventure" and first trip to Southeast Asia, you can see a few sample visuals below, plus how to connect for more details and pictures, etc., on this full live/blog.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Love your photos of San Francisco but suggest a small edit. The Bay Bridge older high rise section runs from downtown SF to Yerba Buena Island and the new section from Yerba Buena to Oakland. Alameda is a city in the east bay, part of which is on an island but it is not the anchorage for the bridge. Alameda is also the county in the east bay of which Oakland is a part.

Love your photos of San Francisco but suggest a small edit. The Bay Bridge older high rise section runs from downtown SF to Yerba Buena Island and the new section from Yerba Buena to Oakland. Alameda is a city in the east bay, part of which is on an island but it is not the anchorage for the bridge. Alameda is also the county in the east bay of which Oakland is a part.

Appreciate this update and kind follow-up regarding Yerba Buena Island. Sorry but I cannot go back and edit now for the previously-posted text. BUT, the record is updated here with your excellent posting.

On San Francisco, last night on cable TV through the Smithsonian Channel, they had a wonderful "Aerial Cities" segment about this Bay City and general region with seven million people living in he area. See more at:

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/aerial-cities/san-francisco-24/1005269/3458234

This program brought back nice memories. Their summary includes: "The jewel of Northern California: the San Francisco Bay Area, home of iconic landmarks, heavy fog, dramatic history, and an amazing group of people who keep this metropolis humming. Take flight on an aerial tour above the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and Fisherman's Wharf, as well as the city's many hidden treasures. Witness the different ways people here spend their days and nights, from the federal agents keeping the area safe to the grape pickers in Napa to the legion of fans cheering on their beloved 49ers and Warriors."

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 56,065 views for these postings.

Hello Terry. Just stumbled across this thread, as I prepare for 2 days in SF very soon. Your pictures are wonderful, as always. For future readers who will be in SF on a Saturday or visiting several days and have a car for at least a half day, I'd recommend visiting my absolute favorite place in SF: Marin Headlands, over the Golden Gate Bridge. At the overlook above Battery Spencer, the famous closeup view of the bridge with the city behind always grabs me. But this requires a bit of time and energy, so it's not for everyone, especially cruisers.

I've learned of the following, which might interest people with cars and a love of off-the beaten track artsy things that are possibly-photo worthy:

Moraga tiled steps off 16th Ave just W of Grand View Park (E of Sunset, W of Twin Peaks): Lovely mosaic work. During weekday pretty easy to get full picture of steps. Once reach top, go to R & take stairs up for views.

The University of San Francisco sounds photogenic in places.

I've always wanted to go to Balmy or Clarion Alleys to see the murals. Hopefully I'll make it this trip.

I've read that a cable car ride is now $7.

You already mentioned the lighted Bay Bridge "Bay Lights" - can google. Those weren't there when I last visited.

I find the U.S. Mint up on the hill an imposing sight from down around Market. I once photographed it from down there with a statue in the foreground. No, it's not open for visits.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd love it:

Can you just walk into the fortune cookie factory? My husband might like to see that.

Is the Hamon Observatory Tower at DeYoung free, free with admission to the museum, or what?

Generally, is dim sum only available on weekends, or during the week too? Lunch time and dinner, or what?

Any recommendations for restaurants in the Richmond area of SF, especially around Fulton & 22nd? I noticed the ones for Dragon Breaux and Hong Kong Lounge.

Hello Terry. Just stumbled across this thread, as I prepare for 2 days in SF very soon. Your pictures are wonderful, as always. For future readers who will be in SF on a Saturday or visiting several days and have a car for at least a half day, I'd recommend visiting my absolute favorite place in SF: Marin Headlands, over the Golden Gate Bridge. At the overlook above Battery Spencer, the famous closeup view of the bridge with the city behind always grabs me. But this requires a bit of time and energy, so it's not for everyone, especially cruisers.

I've learned of the following, which might interest people with cars and a love of off-the beaten track artsy things that are possibly-photo worthy:

Moraga tiled steps off 16th Ave just W of Grand View Park (E of Sunset, W of Twin Peaks): Lovely mosaic work. During weekday pretty easy to get full picture of steps. Once reach top, go to R & take stairs up for views.

The University of San Francisco sounds photogenic in places.

I've always wanted to go to Balmy or Clarion Alleys to see the murals. Hopefully I'll make it this trip.

I've read that a cable car ride is now $7.

You already mentioned the lighted Bay Bridge "Bay Lights" - can google. Those weren't there when I last visited.

I find the U.S. Mint up on the hill an imposing sight from down around Market. I once photographed it from down there with a statue in the foreground. No, it's not open for visits.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd love it:

Can you just walk into the fortune cookie factory? My husband might like to see that.

Is the Hamon Observatory Tower at DeYoung free, free with admission to the museum, or what?

Generally, is dim sum only available on weekends, or during the week too? Lunch time and dinner, or what?

Any recommendations for restaurants in the Richmond area of SF, especially around Fulton & 22nd? I noticed the ones for Dragon Breaux and Hong Kong Lounge.

Moraga steps: Put ALL your stuff in the trunk (boot), lots of car smash & grab break-ins in the area. The residents even put up warning signs about this.

Cable Car: $7 per boarding. Get off and pay another $7 to get on again. Do the math and get a day pass.

No free samples at the Mint either :(

Dim Sum is actually a brunch to long lunch thing and is available 7 days a week.

Dragon Breaux is at 21st & Geary, a few blocks from Fulton.

Hong Kong Lounge is between 17th & 18th on Geary. There's a HK Lounge II, east on Geary at Parker St., across the street from a Chase Bank and Mel's Diner, II has better reviews.

Fortune cookie factory in Ross Alley is just a hole-in-the-wall shop and yes you can walk-in.

Car break-ins, there's an epidemic in smash and grab car break-ins in the city. Never ever leave anything in the passenger area, not even a phone charger/cable. They'll even break the glass just to break it. Take what you can carry for the day and leave everything else in your hotel room. A local news reporter and her photographer even saw a smash and grab take place right in front of them near Lombard St. Great frontal picture of the perp too; took weeks for the PD to get the guy. Meantime the victim is out some camera gear, money, and his passport.

Edited by Philob

Moraga steps: Put ALL your stuff in the trunk (boot), lots of car smash & grab break-ins in the area. The residents even put up warning signs about this.

Cable Car: $7 per boarding. Get off and pay another $7 to get on again. Do the math and get a day pass.

Appreciate these wonderful postings from roothy123 and Philob. Excellent sharing and details!! Liked the nice "Your pictures are wonderful, as always" comment from roothy123. Last year we had a great three days in San Francisco and will want to return for more very good food, sights, etc. But, right now we are focused on preparing for our Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, sailing from Athens to Dubai. This 20-day cruise with Oceania will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,613 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

To roothy123.

Most of your others were answered, so I will be only add that the Hamon Tower is free to visit. Took me a second to find info as we usually go as part of a museum visit. If you want other interesting things in the park, next to the DeYoung is the Japanese tea garden with its own tea house. Across the bandstand is the California Academy oF Sciences, which includes the Planitarium, the Aquarium, and the Natural History Museum. It is well known for its living roof among other things. All this might be too much for a cruise day but perfect for those staying a few days extra in the city.

Terry, I grew up in the City, in the heart of the fog belt in the avenues. One of my favorite pictures is the fog across the GG Bridge with only the top of the towers looming out over it. Even with all its problems and there are many, it remains one of the prettiest settings on earth.

• Like 1

Thank you, Philob & wheezedr. One more question: Usually I've been to SF in September or October, when the weather is best. However, what can I expect mid to late May? Am I likely to get a picture of fog on part of the bridge?

Terry, enjoy your cruise. It sounds wonderful, and we're huge O fans.

Thank you, Philob & wheezedr. One more question: Usually I've been to SF in September or October, when the weather is best. However, what can I expect mid to late May? Am I likely to get a picture of fog on part of the bridge?

Terry, enjoy your cruise. It sounds wonderful, and we're huge O fans.

Karl the Fog is hard to predict (yes the fog is named Karl), but:

General rule of thumb: If the temps are warm and the sky clear in SF for 2-3 days; Karl will roll in on the 3rd day, afternoon.

Karl the Fog is hard to predict (yes the fog is named Karl), but:

General rule of thumb: If the temps are warm and the sky clear in SF for 2-3 days; Karl will roll in on the 3rd day, afternoon.

That is so true. Now that I live farther south on the bay where it gets considerably warmer than in the City I always watch the news during a hot spell to see when the fog is about to roll in. We usually cool off a day later. May can be quite variable, we had a Cinco de Mayo party and it was cold, but today the Sun is shining and next weekend is predicted to be warmer. To anyone sailing under the Gate you might want to bring a jacket. I’m usually in shirtsleeves but I’m a native and even then DW thinks I’m crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Karl the Fog is hard to predict (yes the fog is named Karl), but: General rule of thumb: If the temps are warm and the sky clear in SF for 2-3 days; Karl will roll in on the 3rd day, afternoon.

Appreciate these added posts and great info on wonderful San Francisco. From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they have this headline: best landmarks in the worldwith these highlights: Cambodia's sprawling temple complex Angkor Wat has been revealed as the world's best-rated landmark for another year running in TripAdvisor's annual Travellers' Choice Awards. The best-rated U.S. landmark is Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, with its famed prison attracting millions of visitors each year.” Alcatraz was ranked eighth in the world. At ninth worldwide was the Golden Gate Bridge. Congrats to the Bay area. Glad we were able to enjoy both in March 2017.

Ranked third worldwide is the Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. At the 19th position in the world is Dubai's Burj Khalifa. In December, at the end of our Athens to Dubai cruise involving our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc., we will be able to see these two top UAE attractions. By that time, we will have seen 18 of their top 25 world attractions. This includes ranked as number 17, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) in Bangkok, Thailand, that we saw in January during our Southeast Asia adventure when we visited Siem Reap, etc. More details on that trip can be seen below from my live/blog.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5753935/TripAdvisor-reveals-best-landmarks-world.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From the Daily Mail, here are two of the visuals used in their article about two of San Francisco's top attractions. Brings back nice memories from being there last year!!:

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-22%20at%208.50.33%20AM_zpsyizc1cd8.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-22%20at%208.49.28%20AM_zps9tr88ypd.png

• 10 months later...

From the London/UK Telegraph earlier this month, they had this headline: “San Francisco, California's Golden City – an expert guide”  with these highlights: “Romantic and beautiful, San Francisco has been the backdrop for many of the world’s favourite films, such as Bullitt and Mrs Doubtfire. The reality is even better, from the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz to cable cars and fog. With great restaurants, shopping and museums, this is a five-star destination.”.

Many tips, ideas and suggestion are contained in this feature.  This includes: "Thanks to California’s fresh produce, seafood and wines, the city has long led the way for innovative modern cooking, from posh restaurants to neighbourhood bistros and hip food trucks; 50 restaurants carry a Michelin star. Find influences from Italy and France, China, Japan and Vietnam, Mexico and South America."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/port-guides/san-francisco-cruise-port-guide/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here are two of the interesting visuals featured in this SF profile from this London newspaper.  Looking good?:

351873972_ScreenShot2019-03-23at1_42_28PM.thumb.png.7f2ae6a325ebf58970d280ec87a5b2c4.png

1817133579_ScreenShot2019-03-23at1_42_57PM.thumb.png.4c82d3de6f6f962660ee6bb16d961ee1.png

• 3 weeks later...

I cant believe no one mentioned the Legion of Honor. I know it's not new, but I find something new there every time I go. We also did a really silly thing called the San fransisco buggy last time we were in town. It's a little audio tour of town in your own buggy. Really unique and cute and we had a ridiculous time.

On 4/9/2019 at 5:24 PM, Peckishpixie said:

I cant believe no one mentioned the Legion of Honor. I know it's not new, but I find something new there every time I go. We also did a really silly thing called the San fransisco buggy last time we were in town. It's a little audio tour of town in your own buggy. Really unique and cute and we had a ridiculous time.

Appreciate this above nice follow-up from Peckishpixie.  We have seen and driven by the Legion of Honor many times.  Might need to stop and check out this location in the future.  

From the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia this past week, they had this headline: San Francisco travel tips: Twenty things that will shock first-time visitors  with these highlights: “SF is not a city for the vertiginous. It is built on more than 50 hills. Steep hills. Hills that'll have you yearning for a thighmaster. The steepest street is 31.5 degrees (Filbert between Hyde and Leavenworth).  Rolling across the sky like the Neverending Story's nothing, SF's fog quietly creeps through the city's hills at night and often lingers throughout the morning, cloaking the Golden Gate Bridge atmospherically until the Californian sun burns it off.  Its Chinatown is the second largest outside of Asia.  A heaving 100,000 people reside in SF's Chinatown. It's one of the city's most dense neighbourhoods, where you can eat some of the world's best Chinese food.

There are a wide range of interesting info items in this profile.  Here are a few more highlights: "It's no secret that the tech boom has turned the city into the most expensive place to live in America – if not the universe – with average rents exceeding $US3900 (that's $5400 – ouch).  The Golden Gate Bridge wasn't meant to be red. The colour of the bridge is actually called ''international orange'', the colour of a primer used to protect the steel for the bridge during transit. The architect of the bridge loved the colour, and so it remains today."

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/san-francisco-travel-tips-and-advice-twenty-things-that-will-shock-firsttime-visitors-h1a4oe

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,750 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is one of the many nice visuals featured in this profile about San Francisco.:

1554785946896.jpg.1f35c54edc4ef998b2783e0683dbabb8.jpg

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Its Chinatown is the second largest outside of Asia.  A heaving 100,000 people reside in SF's Chinatown. It's one of the city's most dense neighbourhoods, where you can eat some of the world's best Chinese food.

That last bit is very inaccurate. The best Chinese food in SF is NOT in Chinatown. Chinatown in fact has most mediocre Chinese food. The best Chinese food in SF is in Inner & Outer Sunset and Inner & Outer Richmond.

And the Chinese food in SF isn't close to as good as the Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley in So Cal.

David Chen's Best Chinese Restaurants

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

That last bit is very inaccurate. The best Chinese food in SF is NOT in Chinatown. Chinatown in fact has most mediocre Chinese food. The best Chinese food in SF is in Inner & Outer Sunset and Inner & Outer Richmond.

And the Chinese food in SF isn't close to as good as the Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley in So Cal.

David Chen's Best Chinese Restaurants

I live in the Sunset District and there is only one Chinese restaurant that got an "ok" rating from my Chinese SWMBO; its the only place we take people to.   The only restaurant in the Richmond District that got the "ok" burned down a few months ago (not their fault, fiber optic crew hit a gas main, 40 ft flames, 4-5 buildings involved, etc).

For the best Chinese food in the Bay Area there is a couple down by the airport in the Millbrae and a new one in So. San Francisco between the railroad tracks and Highway 101 that  shares the parking lot with Lowe's Hardware.  It's huge, my cousin had his daughter's wedding banquet there 100+ tables.   Koi Palace in Daly City is "so-so"; if the wait is too long SWMBO rather go to the In N Out across the street :classic_dry:

The best in California is down in So. Cal.  And the best on the Left Coast is Richmond/Vancouver, BC according to the SWMBO rating.

Edited by Philob

Appreciate these added posts and follow-ups from scottca075 and Philob.  Clearly some newspaper travel reporters have more challenges knowing the "best" in some communities, especially dealing with subjective areas such as food/dining.  Great tips and suggestions from these experience Bay Area residents.  

Getting ready for doing in July our first western Canada Rockies, Vancouver and Alaska adventure.  Understand that Vancouver has a very diverse population and wide range of options, including many excellent Asian dining potentials. Need to research more those dining locations in Vancouver.  Will check more for the SWMBO rating.   Keep up the great sharing!!

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,734 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

8 hours ago, Philob said:

I live in the Sunset District and there is only one Chinese restaurant that got an "ok" rating from my Chinese SWMBO; its the only place we take people to.   The only restaurant in the Richmond District that got the "ok" burned down a few months ago (not their fault, fiber optic crew hit a gas main, 40 ft flames, 4-5 buildings involved, etc)

I'd put Dragon Beaux, Ton Kiang and Hong Kong Lounge (until the fire), all in Richmond, above anything in Chinatown. In Sunset, ditto for Bei Fang Style, Szechuan Cuisine and IPOT. Shanghai Dumpling King was as good as they come until it closed. The resurrected SDK isn't as good.

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 7:18 PM, scottca075 said:

I'd put Dragon Beaux, Ton Kiang and Hong Kong Lounge (until the fire), all in Richmond, above anything in Chinatown. In Sunset, ditto for Bei Fang Style, Szechuan Cuisine and IPOT. Shanghai Dumpling King was as good as they come until it closed. The resurrected SDK isn't as good.

Appreciate this above great tip.  Keep up the excellent sharing, suggestions, insights!!  Don't be shy with any comments, ideas and questions.   

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent yesterday, they had this headline: “Best Hotel in San Francisco” with these highlights: It has one of the most spectacular urban settings in the world, fantastic food and a mindset all of its own – no wonder everyone wants to come to San Francisco. The hotel scene had long been lacking, though, with properties clustered around the soulless Union Square and slightly grubby Tenderloin district – but in the last decade, a series of new openings spread around the city have livened it up considerably.  Today, you can stay in historic buildings in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, in a new build opposite San Francisco’s baseball stadium, in the midst of America’s oldest Japantown, or on Market Street – the "new" Union Square (it’s handy to get around, though doesn’t have much going on). Whether you prefer to be disturbed by foghorns or drag brunches, there’s something for everyone in California’s most individual city.

Interesting options, details and pictures related to this great city on the Bay!!

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/hotels/san-francisco-best-hotels-value-views-budget-luxury-deals-a9107406.html

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

• 2 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail today, they had this headline: “The city full of golden greats: From THAT bridge to Chinatown and even Alcatraz - San Francisco is a collection of vibrant villages with these subhead highlights: “Perched on the Pacific, the city of San Francisco is a gold-rush town that’s now pulsating with tech start-ups.  The city is actually a series of diverse villages from the hippy Haight-Ashbury to the old money of Nob Hill.  Writer Sarah Turner reveals how to see San Francisco from the Golden Gate Bridge to Alcatraz, in just 48 hours”

Many pictures, ideas, options, etc., to consider for exploring this wonderful city are included in this profile.  Among the other story highlights: "San Francisco is a transport fan’s dream destination – there are cable cars, a subway system and low-emission buses, but if you want to go retro, jump on one of the F trams – restored street trolleys from the early 20th Century that head between Downtown and The Castro.  Early morning is the best time to head to the brooding hulk of Alcatraz, America’s most infamous prison, on an island in San Francisco Bay (the queues tend to build up after 11am).  The ferry ride to the island takes about 15 minutes, and once you’ve arrived, make sure you take advantage of one of the brilliant audio guides. Head to Chinatown, which was established in 1850. In the early days, it mixed bars, temples, laundries, gambling dens and brothels. These days, it’s a bit gentler but it’s still one of the most atmospheric parts of the city, full of locals proud of its history."

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-7796549/From-bridge-Chinatown-Alcatraz-San-Francisco-collection-vibrant-villages.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 16,867 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 10/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, TLCOhio said:

The hotel scene had long been lacking, though, with properties clustered around the soulless Union Square and slightly grubby Tenderloin district – but in the last decade, a series of new openings spread around the city have livened it up considerably

I am not sure the author of the article, Julia Buckley, has ever in her life been to SF since that statement (and others) is so inaccurate. She doesn't even mention Nob Hill with The Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, Ritz Carlton and Stanford Court.

The hotels around Union Square, which is anything but soulless, have also long been great.

She also makes no mention of Fisherman's Wharf, the Financial District and Embarcadero hotels.

Okay, I changed my mind. I AM SURE the author has never been to San Francisco as I reflect upon it. It would be impossible to have written the things she did if she had.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I am not sure the author of the article, Julia Buckley, has ever in her life been to SF since that statement (and others) is so inaccurate. She doesn't even mention Nob Hill with The Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, Ritz Carlton and Stanford Court.  The hotels around Union Square, which is anything but soulless, have also long been great.

Appreciate this great follow-up and comments California expert scottca075.  From our March 2017 visit to SF after our Panama Canal cruise, we know there are some very good hotels at and near Union Square.  We stayed at and super enjoyed the JW Marriott.  Excellent property and staff; great facilities and location, etc.  

With these types of travel reporting, they can be a source of varied travel ideas and potential activities. But, often these writers will offer opinions and observations that are not always as in-depth compared to how the "locals" would view certain options differently.  Good sharing!  For San Francisco, checking and booking your hotel options early can very important.  Hotels can be costly in SF and they book up fast based on which conventions are in town, etc.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,001 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 4 weeks later...

Don't miss the Walt Disney Museum.  No, it's not Disneyland, it's all about Walt Disney and it is a museum for people who don't usually like museums (like us).  Very interactive...

Price is minimal ( free to veterans) AND do pay extra for the Mickey Mouse Exhibit.  That is definitely worth it also.

You will have to take an Uber, Lift or Taxi from the port area.  Cost about $25.00 each way.  You can also get there by bus and shuttles.   Be sure to tell them it is in the Persido because the same address shows up on GPS in the downtown area.

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2020 at 7:03 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

Don't miss the Walt Disney Museum.  No, it's not Disneyland, it's all about Walt Disney and it is a museum for people who don't usually like museums (like us).  Very interactive... Price is minimal ( free to veterans) AND do pay extra for the Mickey Mouse Exhibit.  That is definitely worth it also.  You will have to take an Uber, Lift or Taxi from the port area.  Cost about $25.00 each way.  You can also get there by bus and shuttles.   Be sure to tell them it is in the Persido because the same address shows up on GPS in the downtown area.

Great above suggestion about the Walt Disney Museum.  Need to get back to the Bay Area and see what all is new and special there.  The Covid Challenge has been running on and on for far too long.  

From the New York Times Travel Section this past week, they had their annual "52 Top Places to Visit" during the upcoming year.  Here was their headline: “52 Places for a Changed World" with this sub-headline: "The 2022 list highlights places around the globe where travelers can be part of the solution.”

Here are some of their NYT reporting highlights that focus for in and around San Francisco:Most pandemic-related shutdowns were disruptive reactions to a disease-dominated world, but many people across the U.S. welcomed one exception: prohibiting car traffic on city streets. In San Francisco, the street shutdowns included a two-mile stretch on the city’s far western edge known as the Great Highway. The throughway became a destination, a beach-front promenade flanking the raw expanse of Ocean Beach, and a community center — friends met up for walks, local children learned to ride bikes, and everything 'popped up,' from street art to protests and trick-or-treating. But opponents took issue, with claims of increased traffic, limited access for older people and the disabled, and general inconvenience. In an uneasy compromise, city officials reopened the highway to traffic Monday to Friday. Still, on weekends, the Great Highway has become a unique destination — in a city full of them — to take in San Francisco’s wild Pacific Ocean coastline by foot, bike, skates or scooter, sample food trucks and explore local cafes, restaurants, record stores, bookstores and more. It’s also a telling microcosm of the ways in which our cities, and our values, shifted during the pandemic. 

Here is the NY Times visual used to illustrate this segment of their reporting: 

2103595037_ScreenShot2022-01-14at12_57_52PM.thumb.png.f6a5920670e01ab51c5ca4d912334a77.png

Anyone been to Cape Town and South Africa recently?  Experiences to share?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/travel/52-places-travel-2022.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,415 views.  Connect at: