Feb 10th SJU on Seadream2 full review

Zimmy, I know you and Trapper feel our pain, we have absolutely nothing booked at this time. Must be a SeaDream in there somewhere......:cool:

We do, Jim, we do feel your pain. But it does sound as if you had a fantastic few months on the Viking world cruise, and Trapper and I are very happy for you and Lois. :)

We do, Jim, we do feel your pain. But it does sound as if you had a fantastic few months on the Viking world cruise, and Trapper and I are very happy for you and Lois. :)

Lois is trying to figure out what we can sell so we can move back onboard a ship....:eek: Something about cooking, cleaning, etc.....:cool:

Lois is trying to figure out what we can sell so we can move back onboard a ship....:eek: Something about cooking, cleaning, etc.....:cool:

Can't imagine what it is like to have to make your own bed every morning. That's why we cruise every chance we get. Wonderful reviews, DPR. So glad you enjoyed your cruise. You have set a high bar for the rest of us who do reviews. Richb21, which Cuba cruise are you on? We are on the first out of SJU and then on to Havana for a b2b.

Can't imagine what it is like to have to make your own bed every morning. That's why we cruise every chance we get. Wonderful reviews, DPR. So glad you enjoyed your cruise. You have set a high bar for the rest of us who do reviews. Richb21, which Cuba cruise are you on? We are on the first out of SJU and then on to Havana for a b2b.

We are feb 4-11, so I think second half of your b2b

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then Trapper & I will look forward to meeting you. We will hopefully be very relaxed at that point, after a week on the ship.

Then Trapper & I will look forward to meeting you. We will hopefully be very relaxed at that point, after a week on the ship.

Likewise, we will be flying directly into Havana but the cruise begins elsewhere, Seadream has said they will be offering transport options from Havana so we shall see. You have a simpler entry in San Juan.

• 4 weeks later...

Likewise, we will be flying directly into Havana but the cruise begins elsewhere, Seadream has said they will be offering transport options from Havana so we shall see. You have a simpler entry in San Juan.

We are on this sailing as well. Pretty sure if you are flying into Havana and she sails out of Ciunfregos you’ve got a long bus ride. We are flying into Santa Clara (spelling) and spending the night before we board

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on this sailing as well. Pretty sure if you are flying into Havana and she sails out of Ciunfregos you’ve got a long bus ride. We are flying into Santa Clara (spelling) and spending the night before we board

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are exactly right, our challenge is we live in Atlanta so the delta non stop on the return is strongly preferred which complicates our arrival in Santa Clara. But the bus ride would not be the ideal entry so will need to ponder! I also need to get my head around any issues surrounding us citizens popping into Santa Clara for the day prior to the cruise. I get the sense that Cuba would be just fine with it but technically the US would have a problem but I don’t believe there is much enforcement. Do you have any insight on this?

Edited by richb21

These are exactly the reasons we opted for the B2B starting in SJU. I believe there are still rooms available if that would work for you. The only thing we have to figure out is how to arrange for the entry visa since we are not entering by air. SD is not handling this from what I understand.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't happen to have a picture of the wine menus you saw while on-board that week, would you? I'm curious to see the overall selection they offer, and potentially how many varietals are included without and up-charge.

No we don’t, we forgot to take a pic. But every day was a different white and red, the same rose through the sailing, until they ran out of the complementary rose anyway. All of Eric’s selections were good though. All very drinkable you won’t be disappointed by the complementary wines.

• 2 weeks later...
No we don’t, we forgot to take a pic. But every day was a different white and red, the same rose through the sailing, until they ran out of the complementary rose anyway. All of Eric’s selections were good though. All very drinkable you won’t be disappointed by the complementary wines.

Am I understanding you correctly then, that each day they only had ONE red and ONE white (and a rose) as complimentary but otherwise I would have to pay a price for something else? For example, if they only had chardonnay that night then anyone in our group who wanted a pinot grigio would pay a nominal fee? This is what I can't seem to find in any research---i is if there is a small list of multiple wines for each meal or are we only offered one or two wines as part of the general beverage options. Thank you for helping me better understand this.

Am I understanding you correctly then, that each day they only had ONE red and ONE white (and a rose) as complimentary but otherwise I would have to pay a price for something else? For example, if they only had chardonnay that night then anyone in our group who wanted a pinot grigio would pay a nominal fee? This is what I can't seem to find in any research---i is if there is a small list of multiple wines for each meal or are we only offered one or two wines as part of the general beverage options. Thank you for helping me better understand this.

There is no list. At dinner they pour a red and a white. However, on the very few occasions when I didn't care for that evening's selection, a different wine was always graciously provided to me, at no cost.

There is no list. At dinner they pour a red and a white. However, on the very few occasions when I didn't care for that evening's selection, a different wine was always graciously provided to me, at no cost.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm very surprised to see such limitations for the price of this experience, but believe it will be a wonderful time by our group.

On what ships have you sailed where they have a selection of wines for no charge? You have to take into consideration the fact that there might be only 100 people on board. If they are pouring a Chardonnay and you want a glass of Sancerre, they might have to open another bottle. If nobody else is going to drink it, what are they supposed to do with the rest? Things are different when there are a couple thousand passengers and they can expect to sell (that's right, sell) the other three glasses from the bottle. I may be wrong, but I have never known SeaDream to sell wine by the glass. I will confess that Zimmy and I are not wine connoisseurs, but we have been very satisfied with the poured wines and have rarely felt it necessary to order a bottle. On occasion, we might ask if there is something else available, and there always is. From what I can tell, their cellar wine list is reasonably priced, and returning passengers get a discount coupon. Wine is only one aspect of the cruise. Don't get too hung up on it and try to enjoy the total package.

Hi Trapper,

I agree with Charlie (always ;p) that was a perfect statement covering a SeaDream voyage. We have never felt slighted in the least over wine choices and have, on occasion, asked for something other than the evening's pour. Never "no" or "we can't do that". But then I am cheating on SD again. Not my fault this time as SeaDream does not go to Alaska. It would be a bit nippy around the TOY Bar at night.....:cool:

Thanks Charlie and Jim. Hey, Jim, we were quite comfortable at the TOY Bar in the Norwegian fjords, so Alaska could be done (if they can figure out how to get the yacht there). Of course, that was the summer I had to buy shorts and a polo shirt to visit the glacier because we didn't bring clothes for hot weather.

Thanks Charlie and Jim. Hey, Jim, we were quite comfortable at the TOY Bar in the Norwegian fjords, so Alaska could be done (if they can figure out how to get the yacht there). Of course, that was the summer I had to buy shorts and a polo shirt to visit the glacier because we didn't bring clothes for hot weather.

Amazing how a few Tequila shots will warm you right up....;p

We actually went to Alaska on Sea Goddess II in 1996 so back then it was possible. SG did a good job of keeping us warm by replacing towels in the hampers on deck with warm blankets and serving "Bull Shots" as pass-arounds regularly. As I understand it, Alaska is not in the cards for SD these days due to updated emissions requirements so JIm is technically not cheating and thus forgiven :)!

That was the cruise I decided to try the Aquavit. When in Rome, and all that. Strange drink. Best taken with herring.

We learned to love Aquavit on Viking Sun. First taste the Crossing the Line ceremony. Kiss the fish, shoot the Aquavit......... What fish smell???:eek:

Norway on SD was fabulous! We had lovely warm blankets and jugs of gluwein when we returned to the ship. Since we were on the inaugural voyage, we also had lots of perks -- like lunch and a gift at the glassworks and a big bash at a small village. I wish SD would go back again!

And agree on the wines -- my only gripe is that they don't seem to be carrying pinot noir (my favorite) anymore (they used to). But the crew does their best to find a reasonable facsimile thereof!

Vandrefalk