Spending Time In Victoria - Photo Tour

Keith, thank you for sharing the photos. Hubby and I have done this walk a couple of times--thanks for the memories!

One question--last year, we saw the water taxis that left the downtown area and went out close to where we docked. Anyone take a water taxi?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Keith, thank you for sharing the photos. Hubby and I have done this walk a couple of times--thanks for the memories!

One question--last year, we saw the water taxis that left the downtown area and went out close to where we docked. Anyone take a water taxi?

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

I'm not sure about the water taxis but hopefully someone will know about that.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and the very useful information! I have planned our whole Alaskan cruise trip except for Victoria because I couldn't find what I needed. Now I have it thanks to you!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Thanks a bunch Keith. It looks like the path is pretty easy. Would it be OK for a wheel chair?

Martincath, was looking for a place to plop and bend an elbow in Victoria. Swans Brewpub noted.

Not to detract from Keith's photos, but you may find an actual map a bit handier to print/stick on your phone and take with you than many pictures. Start with this page - the middle one especially is useful for wandering, with several heritage homes listed as well as the 'how to walk to the Empress/Chinatown' route. Swans Brewpub is on Pandora, just to the left of the little castle symbol marking historic Chinatown - they'll pull you the most authentic pint in the city; hand-pulled, naturally carbonated English style beers served at correct cellar temp. Spinnakers also has a proper cellar, but their hand-pulled beers are not as consistent - the upstairs bar especially has too long a line from the cellar so needs pump-assistance which froths the beer more. Plus the beer sometimes sits in the line too long - unless it's being ordered frequently it can easily warm up TOO much.

Thanks for these recommendations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

The water taxis are also called "pickle boats" and perform a "ballet" each Sunday in the summer at 10am.....great fun. We took one out of fishermans warf across the bay to the Delta and walked back through town. We got to try a "scottish egg" appetizer at a pub in Chinatown area......want to do that again this September.

^That's a Scotch Egg (hardboiled egg wrapped in a ball of sausage meat, rolled in breadcrumbs, then deep-fried) and should have been served cold (ideally with salad cream) if it was authentic. If they served it hot they are heathen scum and you should not frequent their premises again! Think whisky - Scotch, not Scottish;-)

• 8 months later...

Thanks Keith for posting all your beautiful pictures and directions.  We will be there in late May and will probably want to walk and see the city as much as possible.  This looks like the perfect thing to do.  The city looks wonderful!

On 4/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, disneyochem said:

I took one last year to shorten the walk back.  I think it was $6.  It was fun and we were lucky enough to see the Clipper docking.  I also walked to the Victoria Public Market at the Hudson so my feet were tired! If you go to the market, go hungry! I had just eaten and wished that I hadn’t. 

3 hours ago, cormike1 said:

Thanks Keith for posting all your beautiful pictures and directions.  We will be there in late May and will probably want to walk and see the city as much as possible.  This looks like the perfect thing to do.  The city looks wonderful!

You are very welcome.

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • Thank you so much we will be there on 21/22 May.   We are disembarking in Vancouver on 20th staying overnight then early ferry the next morning to Swartz Bay.  Hoping to get a 6 passenger taxi to take us direct to Butchart gardens for the day.   Bus? at the end of the day to our hotel near the Empress.  Next morning around the harbour and as much else as we can before 12.30 taxi to airport.  Origionally we had 2 nights in Victoria but 2 days ago received the news our flight has been cancelled as it was the Max 8.   Now have to leave a day earlier.  
  • Ive emailed a couple of companies for quotes for our transfers but no reply.  Can anyone recommend a taxi/shuttle company in victoria that can provide Swartz Bay to BUtchart, and Victoria to airport transfers for 6 pasengers?
  • Thank you

8 hours ago, Tara Jane said:
  • Can anyone recommend a taxi/shuttle company in victoria that can provide Swartz Bay to BUtchart, and Victoria to airport transfers for 6 pasengers?

Recommendation isn't really the right term, as on the rare occasion we ever need a cab when in Victoria we just flag whichever one passes first, but I can tell you that Bluebird has six passenger minivans. Victoria Taxi claim to be 'partners' with all the various ferries and airport and make use of the Smarthail app to allow prebooking of transfers at specific times, but I'm not sure what vehicles they have in their fleet.

The issue you'll have is the fact that you want to go from Swarts bay direct to Butchart - that leaves a cab sitting a half-hour or more from town with limited potential for another pickup nearby (unless someone is leaving Butchart at about the same time you arrive they're out of luck) so I would guess there won't be many takers for a prebooked ride, especially when you need a six person van (very, very few of these around - taxi fleets must by law provide wheelchair-accessible vehicles at no extra charge, with a minimum % of their fleet so equipped, but there is not requirement to offer large numbers of seats; this means most minivan cabs have 4 seats and space for a wheelchair to be secured rather than being 6 seaters).

Worst case there will be cabs sitting waiting when the ferry arrives and you can pile into two of them - this would actually make it easier to fit your luggage, as the 6-seat Siennas in use have a very shallow width of trunk space so even stacking suitcases right to the roof might not be able to fit six of you and cruise luggage! Riding around with carryons, backpacks, purses on your knees would not be comfy...

Thanks for taking the time to do this! We are in Victoria from 9AM to 6PM as the last stop on a 10 night cruise in May. We have already booked Butchart Gardens through the cruise line and we were wondering if we would have time to walk the city as well. Nice to know it will be easily doable for us.