San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

A friend of mine is looking at Holiday Inn in Long Beach on Atlantic at Anaheim. How is this area and hotel?

It gets good reviews and my husband has had business associates stay there and liked it.

It is within blocks of a major trauma hospital--St. Mary's--I would think noise would be an issue. Not much around to walk to.

I am born, raised, and still live in Long Beach and would not leave the hotel after dark due to the gang violence in the area. During daylight hours, I drive through the area and not concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there many restaurants within walking distance of the Residence Inn in downtown Long Beach?

Sort of...

The Residence Inn Downtown is on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Terminal, the Queen Mary and the Maya Doubletree. Most of the restaurants are across the channel...pretty much right across the bridge within a mile or so...But you may not want to walk the bridge with all of that car and truck traffic. So, the easy way to do it is to take the FREE "Passport" shuttle...You can pick it up right in front of the Maya-- a short walk virtually next door--under the bridge...The Passport will take you over the bridge...get off either at the Aquarium or the Shoreline Village stop...There is a string of restaurants along the waterfront...Bubba Gump, Hooters, Chili's, Gladstone's Seafood, PF Chang, Outback, Tokyo Wako, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House, Tequila Jack's and more....

Edited by Bruin Steve

Sort of...

The Residence Inn Downtown is on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Terminal, the Queen Mary and the Maya Doubletree. Most of the restaurants are across the channel...pretty much right across the bridge within a mile or so...But you may not want to walk the bridge with all of that car and truck traffic. So, the easy way to do it is to take the FREE "Passport" shuttle...You can pick it up right in front of the Maya-- a short walk virtually next door--under the bridge...The Passport will take you over the bridge...get off either at the Aquarium or the Shoreline Village stop...There is a string of restaurants along the waterfront...

Thank you so much Bruin Steve! That is very helpful information. We will stay at the Residence Inn since we got a pretty decent rate and use the free passport shuttle to get across the bridge.

• 2 months later...
We are looking at the San Pedro Vagabond for our pre cruise night. Can you tell us anything about the hotel and neighborhood? How far is it from the brew pub?

Check the reviews on yelp and TripAdvisor...they are pretty bad...cleanliness and noise issues. It’s NOT a great location. You MAY get a deal...but it’s not worth it. Bite the bullet a little and book the Crowne Plaza.

I would like to hear what you would do. My wife and I are going on the Bliss out of the San Pedro port in just a few month. We are doing one pre cruise night, getting in around noon. Of coarse motel prices for a Friday night are high. The two motels of choice in San Pedro (CP and DT) cost about $120.00 a night higher than a few of your A list motels in the Long Beach , pike, area. Is it worth that much to be close to the ship. I am uber savvy . Even though it is just one day, I would like it to have a vacation feel to our pre cruise day. (Pool/drinks) I would love to hear all opinions, especially your Bruin.

I would like to hear what you would do. My wife and I are going on the Bliss out of the San Pedro port in just a few month. We are doing one pre cruise night, getting in around noon. Of coarse motel prices for a Friday night are high. The two motels of choice in San Pedro (CP and DT) cost about $120.00 a night higher than a few of your A list motels in the Long Beach , pike, area. Is it worth that much to be close to the ship. I am uber savvy . Even though it is just one day, I would like it to have a vacation feel to our pre cruise day. (Pool/drinks) I would love to hear all opinions, especially your Bruin.

In your case, I would stay in Long Beach...save the the $120 (spend a little of it back with Uber) and stay in one of those A list Long Beach hotels...Lots of nice restaurants and nice area to walk around in that part of Long Beach...The ride to the pier will only take about 10-15 minutes and won't cost much with Uber.

OK thanks. I am leaning towards Hyatt Regancy as a good value. What do you think? And which one do you really prefer in that area. Also, what are everyones thoughts about " the Queen Mary motel Experience ".

I'm curious about staying at the Queen Mary as well! We'll be staying there the night after our cruise. Rather than having to get off the ship and go deal with the airport, we'll have one last night to enjoy on the historic ship. Excited, but don't know much about it!

OK thanks. I am leaning towards Hyatt Regancy as a good value. What do you think? And which one do you really prefer in that area. Also, what are everyones thoughts about " the Queen Mary motel Experience ".

If you’ve found a great rate at the Hyatt Regency, grab it...

As to the Queen Mary, I stayed there just once...for three nights...albeit many years ago...I was FAR from impressed... rooms are small and dark...might have been a luxury ship experience back in 1936... but, today, it is far from luxury...it’s like staying in a museum piece, not in a first class hotel. Go visit—as a tour experience—but stay at the Hyatt!

Nah, I think it's the novelty of staying in essentially a museum that's appealing. The night before our cruise, we're staying in a suite at the Double Tree, and then 2 weeks in a mini suite on the Ruby Princess. We'll have our fill our luxury, but staying on the Queen Mary at the end will be a fun, quirky experience. I'm expecting to basically consider it like camping rather than staying in a beautiful resort. It'll be one of those things we'll enjoy doing once just for the novelty of it. :)

If you’ve found a great rate at the Hyatt Regency, grab it...

As to the Queen Mary, I stayed there just once...for three nights...albeit many years ago...I was FAR from impressed... rooms are small and dark...might have been a luxury ship experience back in 1936... but, today, it is far from luxury...it’s like staying in a museum piece, not in a first class hotel. Go visit—as a tour experience—but stay at the Hyatt!

Very well summarized, I have to agree here for sure. We stayed at the QM two years ago, the night before a cruise. It certainly IS a great experience to visit her and is well worth the effort. The staff was great, the restaurant we ate in was excellent, but the room was something entirely different altogether.

We knew going in the room was from another era, so the tiny space, with dark wood paneling, was expected. The bathroom plumbing was equally old, but worked. The problem, in our case, was that the room had far more insects running around than I have ever seen in all the decades I have been staying in hotels. FAR too many flyers and crawlers for us to ever want to go back to stay overnight.

I went with your advice about the Hyatt Regency harbor view. It looks like we are walking distance close a nice restaurant for that evening. Now I hope the Uber ride to San Pedro port goes smooth. Thanks for the advice.

• 4 months later...

We are driving 3 hours to San Pedro in October and going on a15 day cruise. We don't need a park and cruise hotel. Are there any less expensive parking options than at the port which is $18 per day? The park and cruise hotels would cost us even more than this. Any other parking lots for less?

10 minutes ago, singnrn said:

We are driving 3 hours to San Pedro in October and going on a15 day cruise. We don't need a park and cruise hotel. Are there any less expensive parking options than at the port which is $18 per day? The park and cruise hotels would cost us even more than this. Any other parking lots for less?

There really aren't.  Remember, this is Los Angeles--Street parking is all restricted with so many qualifications that you can't leave your car anywhere for a day, let alone 15...Businesses have parking lots...but most have barely enough for their own needs...None are in a position to give up a spot for an extended use that isn't tied to their own business.  I once did a search for public lots in Long Beach (which has many more parking lots and structures than San Pedro) and found none willing to rent for an extended period.

You might try contacting the Crowne Plaza and ask if they'' rent you a spot for the 15 days WITHOUT renting a room...but I am imagining that the rate won't differ much from that Park and Stay rate that includes he room...

You could park, for example, at one of the many long term lots at LAX (The Parking Spot, for example, often runs coupons for $099 per week)...but, when you factor in the cost of a shuttle or Uber to the port and back, you're not going to save much, if at all...and the added inconvenience really wouldn't be worth it...

Just figure you are going to spend an extra $270 for that port parking...and enjoy the convenience of having your car steps from the terminal...

26 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

There really aren't.  Remember, this is Los Angeles--Street parking is all restricted with so many qualifications that you can't leave your car anywhere for a day, let alone 15...Businesses have parking lots...but most have barely enough for their own needs...None are in a position to give up a spot for an extended use that isn't tied to their own business.  I once did a search for public lots in Long Beach (which has many more parking lots and structures than San Pedro) and found none willing to rent for an extended period.

You might try contacting the Crowne Plaza and ask if they'' rent you a spot for the 15 days WITHOUT renting a room...but I am imagining that the rate won't differ much from that Park and Stay rate that includes he room...

You could park, for example, at one of the many long term lots at LAX (The Parking Spot, for example, often runs coupons for $099 per week)...but, when you factor in the cost of a shuttle or Uber to the port and back, you're not going to save much, if at all...and the added inconvenience really wouldn't be worth it...

Just figure you are going to spend an extra $270 for that port parking...and enjoy the convenience of having your car steps from the terminal...

Thank you for your quick reply. One more quick question. Are there any rental car agencies close to the port? I could compare a one way rental.

1 hour ago, singnrn said:

Thank you for your quick reply. One more quick question. Are there any rental car agencies close to the port? I could compare a one way rental.

Enterprise is at the Crowne Plaza and Hertz is right across the street...only about a 3 or 4 block walk--or very short Uber or taxi from the cruise terminal...though I'd call and see if they'll pick up/drop off...

But, beware...both close at 1:00 pm on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays...so, depending on your cruise dates, this may cause an issue...Hopefully, your not embarking or disembarking on a Sunday.  Otherwise, you'll find longer rental car hours at LAX, LGB or in Downtown Long Beach or in Torrance...but you'll likely need an Uber to and from the port...

Back on this thread as I have had SO MANY questions answered here for previous trips taken from either Long Beach or San Pedro. We are heading back in March, doing a one week cruise from San Pedro. We are not staying in that area this time as we are doing 3 days at Dinsey beforehand so staying in Anaheim. My question is two fold:

1. What would you suggest for transportation from Anaheim to the pier? I am travelling alone with two kids so not sure I would be comfortable with Uber. I usually book Lansky (often a little higher than competition but they provide a car seat) but I "think" my kids are both out of the "needing a booster seat" stage (though will have to double check the CA laws on this). Estimated cost and travel time?

2. For the first time ever, our flight home is same day and out of Burbank. I have no idea even where this airport is in relation to the pier, so similar questions to those above. Recommendations on transportation and how long should I allow to get there?

Thanks in advance....

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MLA said:

Hi. Would like recommendations for a nice place for lunch near Best Western in San Pedro. A friend of mine is picking me up so will have a car. 

Nothing really close to that Best Western...so you will need the car.  It's just a question as to how nice and how far you want to go.

My favorite in San Pedro is the San Pedro Brewing Company...331 W. 6th Street...a fairly eclectic menu.  I like the Tri Tip Sandwich:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

But there are several other restaurants in that area that would be nice for lunch as well...For example, if you want Mexican Food, there's the Green Onion, 145 W. 6th St.:

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

If you want seafood and a little view of the water, there's the 22nd Street Landing at 141 West 22nd St.:

http://22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/menu-4/

Or, if you wanted to stray farther, there are a lot of restaurants across the harbor in Long Beach...

8 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Nothing really close to that Best Western...so you will need the car.  It's just a question as to how nice and how far you want to go.

My favorite in San Pedro is the San Pedro Brewing Company...331 W. 6th Street...a fairly eclectic menu.  I like the Tri Tip Sandwich:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

But there are several other restaurants in that area that would be nice for lunch as well...For example, if you want Mexican Food, there's the Green Onion, 145 W. 6th St.:

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

If you want seafood and a little view of the water, there's the 22nd Street Landing at 141 West 22nd St.:

http://22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/menu-4/

Or, if you wanted to stray farther, there are a lot of restaurants across the harbor in Long Beach...

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...