How much do you tip your butler and cabin attendant on a 12 day cruise?

KMACKCANADA

So coming to this kind of late. I have never tipped on Silversea, but on our last cruise during a chance meeting on deck with the maitr’d he made it clear that if you tip him, you’ll get better service in his restaurant.

Your post greatly depresses me.

So coming to this kind of late. I have never tipped on Silversea, but on our last cruise during a chance meeting on deck with the maitr’d he made it clear that if you tip him, you’ll get better service in his restaurant.

He should be instantly dismissed if the case.

Hope you reported him?

Which ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guess I would of remembered his name and addressed it on the post trip survey. A great way to get the attention of SS is with a zero score. If a person is as bold as you state I am certain his behavior is well known but not addressed.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know what the Crew Fund does for the crew? In other words, how is it used.

I've heard some views but mainly about the equivalent fund on Seabourn. It would be nice to know if it is used for such things as staff functions, support of staff with serious family financial issues etc.

I've heard some views but mainly about the equivalent fund on Seabourn. It would be nice to know if it is used for such things as staff functions, support of staff with serious family financial issues etc.

I have been told by the head of Guest Relations on the Whisper that the fund is used for parties for the crew, to purchase special equipment (ping pong table, etc.) and for family emergencies. Judging from the way we have been thanked by numerous members of the crew, I believe they truly appreciate it.

On the first day of my cruise, I plan on opting out of the 'auto-contribution' to the owner's (Royal Caribbean's???) charity, and donating that amount to the crew welfare fund.

As SS makes it abundantly clear gratuities are included in the fare, I will not be 'tipping extra'.

Tipping- another question (yes, from an American)... has anyone seen anyone tip in the bars for a particularly well made drink? I know "tips are included", but as we prepare to board in 5 days on our first "tips included" cruise we would like to be clear on this.

Thanks!

Tipping- another question (yes, from an American)... has anyone seen anyone tip in the bars for a particularly well made drink? I know "tips are included", but as we prepare to board in 5 days on our first "tips included" cruise we would like to be clear on this.

Thanks!

Never seen that happen. A particularly good bar person might get a small pourboire at the end of the cruise but nothing so crass as a tip on delivery.

Tipping- another question (yes, from an American)... has anyone seen anyone tip in the bars for a particularly well made drink?
Fellow American here and I too have never seen a bartender tipped. It's certainly not expected.

Also, I think you'll find as long as you don't stray too off their menu, they do a good job. But, any drinks they are unfamiliar with, they'll have a hard time, even if you know the recipe by heart. For example, on my past cruise in June, they couldn't make me a Bourbon & Blood or a Fabioloa. And, on our cruise last November they couldn't make an Autumn Leaves or an Autumn Spiced Tonic.

I have never seen anyone tip a bartender at the bar. In fact, cash is rarely if ever seen on board the ship! Don't forget to mention the bartender by name in the two cruise review questionnaires that you receive. Also, if you happen to speak to the Food & Beverage Manager, it would be nice if you compliment the bartender

I have never tipped on a Silversea cruise, with one exception - if the itinerary permits, I enjoy horse riding when possible in port, and my butler once took it upon himself to not only clean my tall boots of all mud, horse sweat, and sand, but polish them as well! I was gobsmacked and did tip him for that. It must have taken him at least an hour! I do however, always contribute to the crew fund and make mention of special crew members in the onboard questionnaire.

I have never seen anyone tip a bartender at the bar. In fact, cash is rarely if ever seen on board the ship! Don't forget to mention the bartender by name in the two cruise review questionnaires that you receive. Also, if you happen to speak to the Food & Beverage Manager, it would be nice if you compliment the bartender

I think your suggestions for recognizing bar staff are very good. However, I do tip some bar staff at the end of my (generally long b2b) cruises if I patronize the same bar every evening, the staff has not rotated among bars during the cruise and has served me consistently, and (of course!) the service was good. The presentation of the tip is very discreet, so I hope no one would notice. The tips are generally USD 20.

I think your suggestions for recognizing bar staff are very good. However, I do tip some bar staff at the end of my (generally long b2b) cruises if I patronize the same bar every evening, the staff has not rotated among bars during the cruise and has served me consistently, and (of course!) the service was good. The presentation of the tip is very discreet, so I hope no one would notice. The tips are generally USD 20.

And this is exactly what we do. It is our decision, and no one else's business.

Being English I hate the whole concept of tipping and so do not do it, especially when it is made plain by the cruise line that it is included in the fare. If you want to say that that makes me mean then feel free, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Peter

Agree. As an Aussie this isn't second nature to us, which is why virtually all ships based here have a no tipping policy. Americans seem unable to avoid tipping, even when its made clear that tips are already included, and then the rest of the world is supposed to feel guilty for not following suit. I don't.

Who said you (as part of the non-American “world”) are supposed to feel guilty for not tipping on a cruise where tips are listed as included? We just have different cultural habits, different philosophies and views of whether to provide extra rewards to individuals who we know for a fact performed extraordinarily, vs. treating the ok crew member the same as the brilliant one, everyone equally. Of course mentioning their names in evaluations helps even more.

Just don’t ask, and don’t tell, if you see other pax tipping, no guilt required or expected, to each his culturally compliant own, be it personal tipping or crew fund, (which I previously noted is constructively a form of pre-tipping for the next cruise on the same ship, if crew know you contributed on the last trip).

The only non-tipping I have a problem with from any nationality is on land excursions, where tipping is NOT listed as included, and so many ( often most) pax walk right by the guides and bus drivers without tipping anything, especially in poorer countries where tips matter a lot. Pax forget or never read that guide tips are not covered.

It is now time for someone to chime in and tell us we spend too much time talking about unimportant things :)

Silversea Newbies here, awaiting our September embarkation. A few questions for those willing to share:

1. How does one calculate an appropriate donation amount to the crew welfare fund?

2. I know we will work our cabin steward silly, but what functions are performed by the butler?

3. What is this a about opting out of a charitable donation? Is this an obvious step when embarking, or do I have to make a special. Trip to the front desk?

Thank you for your insights.

In many countries tipping was never expected until people from the USA began tipping.Now if you want to tip guides etc in other countries go right ahead.But please this does not mean that people of other nationalities must follow your custom outside the USA.

Having said that I have no problems tipping when in the USA and in other places where we receive excellent service with the exception of Japan.We do tip on SS but no one else sees us do it and we will not disclose the amount.