Alaska May or September 2019

We did Alaska cruise Vancouver to Whittier then land tour with Princess from 12th May this year. Advantage of going in May still see lots of snow and winter scenery, less crowds. Downside was we didn't see a lot of wildlife although we were lucky to see some bears next to our bus. The other issue was that on the land tour there were a lot of new staff who were being trained on the job so service was very hit and miss. Weather was very good cold but no rainy days. Had done cruise only previously in late August and it rained nearly everyday.

We are trying to decide to fly from Australia May to Honolulu Cruise Radiance via Hawaii to Vancouver, then 7 night Alaska cruise and fly back to Australia. Or to fly to Vancouver do Alaska cruise first, then cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu and fly back to Australia September. Decisions, Decisions??

We sailed Sydney to Vancouver on the Noordam on a relocation cruise in April 2016.

The price was very reasonable and the cruise was fantastic. It rained for 2 of the 24 days when we were near Fiji due to a cyclone which didn't really affect us, but other than that, it was fine.

We spent a few days in Vancouver and then 5 days in Whistler. The weather was good, and one of the ski slopes was still operating in Whistler.

We then took another cruise along the Inside passage and saw whales dolphins, bears and eagles as well as other bird species either on the islands or the mainland.

We booked the Alaskan cruise through an American agent and got a great deal on the Solstice. Again, weather was fine although colder the further north we went.

We flew back to Australia (Perth) from Seattle.

I hate to make recommendations, as everyone has different expectations and needs, but for an average, reasonably healthy couple in our sixties, with little cruising or North American experience, this was an easy itinerary without stress, and giving us a good degree of flexibility.

We loved the excursions, and mostly made our own (much cheaper) shore arrangements at the dock for the same destinations and activities as were available from the ships.

A holiday is what you make of it. If you go with a spirit of adventure, know your own limitations, financial and physical, and are determined to have a good time, you will enjoy it no matter what itinerary you chose.

We are trying to decide to fly from Australia May to Honolulu Cruise Radiance via Hawaii to Vancouver, then 7 night Alaska cruise and fly back to Australia. Or to fly to Vancouver do Alaska cruise first, then cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu and fly back to Australia September. Decisions, Decisions??

I am not sure if USA rules allow that. See similar question on this thread. I know it is for Ovation of the Seas. Might worth asking on Royal Caribbean group as there are many experts there.

See post #51 in this thread

Ovation OTS 11-nighter Alaska May 13, 2019

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2574044

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 2014 we flew late August from Sydney to Calgary via Vancouver and did a 9N self-drive trip thru the Canadian Rockies, ending in Seattle. We then boarded Rhapsody OTS on Aug 29 for 7N Inside Passage Cruise. This was the final cruise of the season.

Weather was very good - we had 1 day of rain, but otherwise it was much warmer than we anticipated.

The cruise ended in Vancouver, but we stayed on board for next 27N to Honolulu and back home to Sydney.

I have only done this cruise in May, so cant comment on a comparison, however it was by far my favourite cruise so I will follow along on this thread as I plan to go again.

We had great weather in late May, with rain and cold for a couple of hours in Juneau, and apart from that I wore a t shirt most days.

We saw lots of marine wildlife, but never got to see much land wildlife unfortunately. Perhaps a couple of weeks too early.

We sailed Sydney to Vancouver on the Noordam on a relocation cruise in April 2016.

The price was very reasonable and the cruise was fantastic. It rained for 2 of the 24 days when we were near Fiji due to a cyclone which didn't really affect us, but other than that, it was fine.

We spent a few days in Vancouver and then 5 days in Whistler. The weather was good, and one of the ski slopes was still operating in Whistler.

We then took another cruise along the Inside passage and saw whales dolphins, bears and eagles as well as other bird species either on the islands or the mainland.

We booked the Alaskan cruise through an American agent and got a great deal on the Solstice. Again, weather was fine although colder the further north we went.

We flew back to Australia (Perth) from Seattle.

I hate to make recommendations, as everyone has different expectations and needs, but for an average, reasonably healthy couple in our sixties, with little cruising or North American experience, this was an easy itinerary without stress, and giving us a good degree of flexibility.

We loved the excursions, and mostly made our own (much cheaper) shore arrangements at the dock for the same destinations and activities as were available from the ships.

A holiday is what you make of it. If you go with a spirit of adventure, know your own limitations, financial and physical, and are determined to have a good time, you will enjoy it no matter what itinerary you chose.

I'm thinking of using a US agent too, we did once before and every time the price went down they just altered it no charges.

I know this is Australian site but we are Australians trying to work out whether to go May or September, after feedback if anyone has done Alaska either months and how they found the weather and seas?

Hi, we did the very last cruise of the season in late September, the weather was cool but not freezing and we got into everywhere ( Glacier Bay and College Fiords, etc) with no restrictions due to ice. Friends of ours are currently on a cruise there and have found that they have not been able to get into some places due to the amount of ice in the bays. It is anyone's guess what the weather will be like but there is likely to be less ice at the end of summer than at the beginning.

I would go this way. Start with the cooler climate and slowly warm up.

We cruised Alaska in September and said at the time that we felt earlier in the season would have been better [emoji57] - so vote for May.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. It snowed in September, when we were there. In May, people, who work in the tourist industry, are fresh and looking forward to the Season. In September, they are jaded and planning their departure.

We like cruising to Alaska better the end of May as the days are longer. We saw a lot more wildlife than we did in Sept when days are shorter and it got dark earlier. We also had a lot more cloudy days with fog and rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone for your comments I think we have decided to cruise in May, as we are going to do Honolulu cruise to Vancouver stay in Vancouver then 7 night Alaskan cruise, have never done Holland America but looking at Nieuw Amsterdam as does 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver:)