All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We book lowest category (aka Aquarium class) as we would sooner save money for the next trip...

There are many who will not cruise without a balcony (French or "real") but we would sooner be on deck or in the lounge if there is something to see. You can see both sides of the boat that way.

Also, if you are rafted, and you are up against another boat on your side, your Panorama suite view won't be great.

Whatever you choose... enjoy!!

Fran

We had no problem booking our seats, we wanted window seats & to be together...Avalon sent us the flight info the day we booked, and I chose our seats through KLM that day. We had to pay KLM for selecting seats, but nothing to Avalon for deviation fee to arrive & depart from Amsterdam or any other charges. They beat both my checking online for KLM & our TA's pricing. We had very limited choices here, and I refused to do Air Canada...they like to downgrade to Rouge with no notice.

Did you ask Avalon to book you on KLM? Just wondering what your airline choices were. Our last trip to Europe we flew direct from Toronto to Munich on Air Canada and were very happy with them. What do you mean by 'downgrade to Rouge'? Never heard that term...

Did you ask Avalon to book you on KLM? Just wondering what your airline choices were. Our last trip to Europe we flew direct from Toronto to Munich on Air Canada and were very happy with them. What do you mean by 'downgrade to Rouge'? Never heard that term...

Rouge is Air Canada's "discount" airline. I had heard on here before we even booked our flight that they had suddenly changed some flights from regular AC to Rouge, and so I wanted KLM (we also wanted a direct flight, so our choices for our location were limited). My S-i-L had her flight booked through AC to go to Colombia in April, and they changed it to Rouge. From what I here, it wasn't the best...cramped seating, no entertainment, and not much food wise. She used points to fly, so maybe that made it easier for them to substitute. Our TA told Avalon that we were looking at KLM, so that is who we flew with.

Air Canada never used to fly to Amsterdam; I believe when they inaugurated the route it was flown by Rouge. As far as I know they never just substitute Rouge planes; however it is possible that they changed some routes from Air Canada to Rouge. You should be able to tell that they are operated by Air Canada Rouge. That said, it is pretty lousy; I flew home from Lisbon and even premium economy wasn’t very nice. And in terms of Aeroplan rewards they charge the same number of points for either airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Air Canada never used to fly to Amsterdam; I believe when they inaugurated the route it was flown by Rouge. As far as I know they never just substitute Rouge planes; however it is possible that they changed some routes from Air Canada to Rouge. You should be able to tell that they are operated by Air Canada Rouge. That said, it is pretty lousy; I flew home from Lisbon and even premium economy wasn’t very nice. And in terms of Aeroplan rewards they charge the same number of points for either airline.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of Rouge. We live in Western NY and occasionally fly to Europe out of Toronto; we're able to get a direct flight and it's only a 2 hour drive from home if we're lucky at the border crossing. We'll keep this in mind if for our next trip.:):)

We book lowest category (aka Aquarium class) as we would sooner save money for the next trip...

There are many who will not cruise without a balcony (French or "real") but we would sooner be on deck or in the lounge if there is something to see. You can see both sides of the boat that way.

Also, if you are rafted, and you are up against another boat on your side, your Panorama suite view won't be great.

Whatever you choose... enjoy!!

Fran

I wish I could. Honestly, the stress being enclosed like that would cause would make it miserable for me. I need a second way out of the cabin.

On the river cruises I have taken, I found the French Balcony useful in the early morning when I could stay in the room in my pjs taking photos and videos of the countryside sailing by. I would not have gone on deck that early to do this. Also I agree that the high windows are a bit claustrophobic and it would be frustrating for me not to be able to look out without standing on a chair or tiptoes.😳

However having said that, if the cost difference was great enough, I might reconsider because you really aren’t in the room that much except in the evenings.

A savings of 2,000 or so could go a long way.

It’s all in your priorities.

I wish I could. Honestly, the stress being enclosed like that would cause would make it miserable for me. I need a second way out of the cabin.

Did you peek in the cabin? It doesn’t feel enclosed to me, just cozy. But everyone has their level of comfort.

Did you peek in the cabin? It doesn’t feel enclosed to me, just cozy. But everyone has their level of comfort.

If the window doesn't open...I can't. I need to be able to get out the window. I know it probably an irrational fear....but having lost a few friends on a ship below deck and claustrophobia....it's worth it to me to spend the money for my sanity.

On the river cruises I have taken, I found the French Balcony useful in the early morning when I could stay in the room in my pjs taking photos and videos of the countryside sailing by. I would not have gone on deck that early to do this. Also I agree that the high windows are a bit claustrophobic and it would be frustrating for me not to be able to look out without standing on a chair or tiptoes.😳

However having said that, if the cost difference was great enough, I might reconsider because you really aren’t in the room that much except in the evenings.

We do like to spend time in our room and I love watching the scenery go by from our cabin. Since there's no roof top viewing deck on the Siem Reap, I think we will be using our french balcony a lot. :)

If the window doesn't open...I can't. I need to be able to get out the window. I know it probably an irrational fear....but having lost a few friends on a ship below deck and claustrophobia....it's worth it to me to spend the money for my sanity.

I'm with you; I would feel claustrophobic without the french balcony windows. And although we did spend most of our time on the top deck when sailing, there were times I wanted some time to myself and enjoyed watching the river go by from our room.

I'm with you; I would feel claustrophobic without the french balcony windows. And although we did spend most of our time on the top deck when sailing, there were times I wanted some time to myself and enjoyed watching the river go by from our room.

We enjoyed the large window, both of us could hang out over it while we were in our room. We actually didn't spend much time on the top deck, mostly in the little area in front of the lounge. It was covered, so I didn't have to worry much about the sun, and the chairs were a lot more comfortable.

We enjoyed the large window, both of us could hang out over it while we were in our room. We actually didn't spend much time on the top deck, mostly in the little area in front of the lounge. It was covered, so I didn't have to worry much about the sun, and the chairs were a lot more comfortable.

We loved this little area on the Avalon ships. We loved it especially going through the locks. Very few pax utilized it and we often had it to ourselves.

i ended up doing this itinerary solo in May 2016 when my mom got sick the day of departure & couldn’t join me. I wrote an extensive trip report on it. Just search this forum for “Paris to Normandy, Felicity” Feel free to ask any questions. I had no problem meeting people, joining others for meals, etc.

Hello. I am considering Avalon Waterways for a cruise to Paris/Normandy/Paris in 2019. Does anyone have experience with solo cruising on Avalon Waterways? Thanks!

We booked Avalon for this past April mainly because of their generous solo rates since my sister wanted to come along and didn't have a travel partner. We were very pleased with the accommodations, tours, and food. We met and spent time with a woman who was traveling solo also, and it was very easy for her to meet folks around the ship. She knew more people than anybody.

We liked it enough to book again for next year's girls' trip where three of the ladies like their own cabin. Avalon allows (I think) five cabins on each departure to be sold without a single supplement, and they don't confine you to just the lower cabins. If you want a balcony, you can have one. It really makes a difference.

We booked Avalon for this past April mainly because of their generous solo rates since my sister wanted to come along and didn't have a travel partner. We were very pleased with the accommodations, tours, and food. We met and spent time with a woman who was traveling solo also, and it was very easy for her to meet folks around the ship. She knew more people than anybody.

We liked it enough to book again for next year's girls' trip where three of the ladies like their own cabin. Avalon allows (I think) five cabins on each departure to be sold without a single supplement, and they don't confine you to just the lower cabins. If you want a balcony, you can have one. It really makes a difference.

Three of us acquaintances are sailing solo on Avalon Impression from Budapest to Nuremberg. On board right now in fact. Two of us are in Cat A cabins and I’m in Category P. P is on deck 3 but for the price difference I would be fine in Cat A on deck 2 next time. I agree about the ease of meeting other people when you were sailing solo on a smallish river ship. So far I know there are four women sailing solo on this one (haven’t met at fifth :-) but there could be one!) Please note there is a single supplement for the land portion and our cruise includes two pre-cruise nights in Budapest and three post-cruise nights in Prague. My single supplement was $556.

I am just back from being on the Illumination from Nuremberg to Budapest. (May 25- June 1) The river level was excellent but the weather was really unexpectedly warm. I packed for cooler weather but not as many lighter layers to fall back on. Other than that, the trip was awesome! I had booked a B (225) category, but got bumped to a P, 305. Both were Panoramic Suites and had the single supplement waived. I traveled solo and met some new friends who I hope to travel with in the future. Best experience ever!

We just returned today from the Avalon Budapest to Prague. For our first river cruise it was what we wanted and wished for and more. We also booked a french balcony, but often, especially in the busier stops, we would wake up and open the drapes only to see another ship tethered to us, so in these cases the french balcony is basically useless. The ship would be only a foot or 2 away. Aside from that, I would still book a french balcony.