Help with Overpacking!Yes, I know I am 'sad'

I still "overpack" on cruises (I consider it part of the luxury of cruising) but I do carry much less than many. (one checked bag) The thing that has helped me immensley is to make lists of what I will wear each day and carry one extra outfit for both daytime and evening. That way the worry that "I won't have enough"..." just in case" is eliminated. For a seven day cruise I generally don't repeat my evening or day wear. However I went on a multi week cruise/trip recently on a more formal line and I did repeat in the evening on occasion but mixed and matched... so I personally didn't feel like I was wearing the same outfit each evening and the combinations of the outfits looked vastly different.

But the detailed daily lists help cut down on the excess. I find if I can visualize what I will wear each day and what I will need, I will carry much less. I still returned home with items I didn't wear, but I didn't have to do or send out laundry or wear dirty clothes. My bag was less than 50lbs and still had room for holiday purchases:)

On land vacations I pack less...everything fits in a carry on but I still make the lists.

I hope this helps...

tmee

On my first cruise (7 day), I brought enough clothes to wear two complete outfits a day (a different pair of shorts & shirt for day and a night outfit) not realizing that on a Caribbean cruise I'd be in a bathing suit most days. I didn't wear 80% of what I'd packed.

Since then, I've found that it works well to only bring a couple of "bottoms" (like one pair of white pants, one pair of black) and then a variety of different tops to mix and match with the bottoms. No one knows that you're wearing the same bottoms. We like to go more casual on a cruise so I usually only bring one dress and it's one that easy to fold and pack in a suitcase. Then I bring a few bathing suit/cover-up options and usually some yoga-type pants to throw on for walking around the ship.

Shoes are my kryptonite. I have tried to scale down on those over the years, but to no avail...

For my most recent cruise, I bought those packing containers and I really thought those worked well with keeping things organized in my suitcase, and made it easy to pack and unpack.

If you want to pack lighter (and not everyone does and that is FINE) the most important thing I've found to change is your mindset. Yes, packing lists help. Yes, being able to visualize your outfits helps (I love some of the wardrobe tools on http://www.theviviennefiles.com/ as have many others here) But until you WANT to pack less, to mix & match and maybe do laundry, to give up on the "what ifs", to arrange all your outfits around one color/one pair of shoes, you're not going to be a lighter packer. Or at least, not a happy one;p.

If you want to pack lighter (and not everyone does and that is FINE) the most important thing I've found to change is your mindset. Yes, packing lists help. Yes, being able to visualize your outfits helps (I love some of the wardrobe tools on http://www.theviviennefiles.com/ as have many others here) But until you WANT to pack less, to mix & match and maybe do laundry, to give up on the "what ifs", to arrange all your outfits around one color/one pair of shoes, you're not going to be a lighter packer. Or at least, not a happy one;p.

This is so true.

One has to get out of the mindset that traveling light means not having "choices" or that the choices are going to be too limited. If one packs smart and puts a lot of thought into it, one will have plenty of choices -- just not an entire closet full.

Traveling light makes me feel organized, self-sufficient, smart and well put together. I can handle my own luggage in any situation, pack and unpack quickly, and feel confident that I have made all the tough decisions before I've left home.

But for others, packing light is too limiting and -- unless they are doing more than stepping onto and off of a cruise ship, the logistics probably don't matter to them.

Even still.... I remember the days when I'd lug way too much on cruises and then be unhappy because I had to spend time in the cabin unpacking and organizing while everyone else was off exploring the ship and getting their vacation underway.

I am a light packer, for many reasons. On most lines, the first night is casual in the MDR ( since some may get luggage late). I usually wear what I will wear the next day or on of the other days - say, capris and a top. On the last night I usually rewear something I already wore. If there are two formal nights , I usually repeat the same LBD with different wraps/accessories (Or, if only one, I wear the LBD with "fun" jewelry/accessories on a regular night). So for 4-5 day cruises, I take 2-3 dresses, one the LBD. On a 7-8 day cruise I take 3-4 dresses, one the LBD. Whatever the cruise length, for days, I take 3-4 shorts/capris/ skorts and 4-6 tops that coordinate with all. Plenty of underwear, 3 bathing suits and I coverup. I do laundry midway if needed.

I over pack and will continue to do so. Or, I will as long as i dont have luggage fees!

I like to have lots of tops and shoes and lots of makeup and skincare.

I also don't pack light but I like it that way. I travel for many weeks at a time and this travel includes train as well as cruise. I pack some neutral palate clothing but I also like bright and different looks with tops and dresses, not accessories. So while my health holds up and I can manage my own bags I will continue this.

I make lists and organise my packing in advance but as others have said it is all about getting a different mindset if you choose to only pack light. So it is all up to what makes you happy.

Julie

I think that's the key. The struggle seems to be when there is a perceived pressure to be opposite the way you are.

Well said.

I do pack light because I hate lugging heavy suitcases up/down stairways and in/out of trains.

I would like to emphasise that my original post was written without malice.

Thank you for the many helpful suggestions.

Our cruises are often linked with land based holidays that we have to fly iinternationally for, with a hold limit of 23kg plus carry on and handbag. ( purse)

I like to have options, so pack way too much. I have read many articles on packing lightly, take travel sized toiletries etc, try to follow Vivienne Files colour palette ideas. I can fit everything into my allowance as luggage is very light.

Seeing someone wear the same dress several times made me realise I do not need something different every evening. As mentioned, outfit only worn for few hours and in air conditioning.

I only need one pair of shoes for formal evening and perhaps two pairs of wedges for other evenings, one that might do day duty too.

I will keep telling myself these things when it comes to packing for our next trip.

Thank you once again to those who have made helpful suggestions and to those who think post was 'catty'...not everyone wants to decry others !!

I'm with Anita Latte up above about some people liking choices. That's me exactly. I just don't like wearing the same clothes over and over again in a short period of time. I enjoy my clothes, and put a lot of effort into purchasing them (I buy almost exclusively from ebay and alter to fit).

So, when the airlines started charging for luggage, I went to lighter weight cruise clothes. Except for my dressy clothes, they are pretty much my summer tops, and I have a LOT, LOT, LOT of them. I buy chiffon tops and jackets, and wear an assortment of tanks and camis under them. Chiffon doesn't wrinkle, and it's super lightweight. If I need to be a little warmer, I wear a tank with sleeves under, and a jacket over.

On a typical 7 night cruise I will take 14 day/evening casual tops, and 8 - 10 jackets. I take 2 pairs of white capris, 2 pairs of black, and 1 each for evening long pants: black, brown, grey. One dressy tank and pants with dressy jackets (included in the 8 - 10 count). The day time/casual evening tops are loose and flowy for hot weather comfort. It all weighs about 20 - 30 lbs. My shoes are sandals for day, flipflops for the cabin, and black/silver/taupe sandals for evening. Another 5 lbs. The rest of the weight is miscellaneous and toiletries. I'm an EXACT 50 lb suitcase packer (I've even been complimented by baggage check-in a few times :D).

Hi Peggy,:) I bring at least 14 tops too but I am not a jacket gal so those are not part of my attire. I agree, tops can be quite lightweight and many of them just don't weight much.

Hi Peggy,:) I bring at least 14 tops too but I am not a jacket gal so those are not part of my attire. I agree, tops can be quite lightweight and many of them just don't weight much.

Hi, Lois! My jackets are all chiffon, too.

How are you feeling these days? I hope all is well with you.

Hi, Lois! My jackets are all chiffon, too.

How are you feeling these days? I hope all is well with you.

Feeling pretty good, thanks for asking:)

Having light weight fabrics is what make me able to pack so much in a 21 inch carry on. I do make most of my skirts and pants. For each one that I make I also make a small purse or waist bag for. So, I also fit about 10 or 11 of them in the suit case. some of the purses I can use with more than one outfit. I do have lots of choices on what to wear. Some times I will wear a top with a pair of pants, then send the to out to the laundry and at the end of the week where the top again with a different bottom. But, I don't do that too often, re-wear a clean top. But, I do send most of my clothing out each day to be cleaned, so I go home from the cruise with lots of clean clothing. I don't have to pay for the ships laundry service (Princess), I get it as a perk. I do carry on and off the ship (even tho we drive to the port) because on time I gave the porter my bags, and as he turned to put one of them on the cart, a bus drive picked up my other bag and started to put it on a departing bus. I yelled and the ported got the bag back. since then I carry on my bags.

Hi, thanks:)………….being honest here, I bring way more than 3 or 4 tops......they don't take up a lot of space

(for me) and I don't hate the packing/unpacking part. But 4 tops would never work for me;)

Just so you don't think I am the "stinky" one recycling my 3 or4 tops, that is just for evening. I also usually bring another 4 or 5 tops to recycle for daytime use! LOL. :D;p

Just so you don't think I am the "stinky" one recycling my 3 or4 tops, that is just for evening. I also usually bring another 4 or 5 tops to recycle for daytime use! LOL. :D;p

Hi,:) nope, that thought never entered my mind. As for numbers, I try not to judge anyone for how many things they bring. I do what is good for me. If someone wants to bring way less or way more, I am in the "do what is best for you" category:). I always bring a lot of tops:D and for more than one reason...…..I don't do dresses anymore so if I am dressing up? I want a dressier one....for casual evenings ? I still like my choice of tops. And daytime? Well, if I am on an excursion? That top is not being worn at night too.;)

This thread is timely since I have to pack tomorrow for our cruise departing Sunday. Last 2 cruises, DH and I each had a small suitcase, a small carry-on duffel, and a shared garment bag. This cruise we hope to do away with the garment bag, in part due to airline restrictions (we are already paying for TWO checked bags) and in part due to the dress code changes over the years. Our last cruise was 14 days with HAL and I think had FOUR formal nights, most of the rest semi-formal, only a few casual...we needed A LOT of stuff!

This time we are on Celebrity and for our 10-day trip, they have only two "evening chic" nights which are less formal. I am bringing one nicer dress that I will wear for the first formal night, but the second formal night will be dressy pans (that I will wear twice). Also, rather than wearing the same evening outfit twice, some of my more casual evening wear will reappear in port--e.g., a casual knit dress for evening worn a few days later for sight-seeing. Same with several of my tops! On the sea days I'm likely to repeat the same shorts with different tops/tanks (don't take up much space) or just a bathing suit/cover-up.

As several have said on this thread already, it's very individual. I like choices, but I also don't want to have a bunch of luggage to haul around. And I hate to unload clean, unworn items--that are now likely a wrinkled mess!--at the end of a trip.

Does anyone have good advice on how to pack for a cruise and pre- and post- cruise travel as well without taking too many bags? I'm especially worried about shoes. We are doing 2 nights at Universal Studios, then a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, then 3 nights at Disney.

I'm worried about comfortable shoes for the parks, then dressy shoes for formal nights plus flip flops and maybe one other pair? Are water shoes a must? We are going in early December. We will be flying down so that is a consideration as well.

So 12 days in all.... plan on laundry. That's the easiest way to keep luggage down. Forget about what it costs; in the grand scheme of things it's not that much so just plan on it.

As for shoes, the only time I'd pack "water shoes" would be if I was doing something like a white water rafting excursion or maybe climbing Dunns River Falls or something similar. I find them difficult to get on and off so don't care for them at all. I prefer a pair of flip flops or sandals that can get wet. These are more than sufficient for the beach, pool, or just walking around (provided they are comfortable). If I was doing a lot of walking, such as in theme parks or excursion walking tours, I'd pack a pair of sandals that have good cushion and arch support. If that pair wasn't waterproof, then maybe a pair of flip flops for the pool/beach as well. If you are actually doing formal nights on the cruise, I'd find a pair of dressy shoes that go with both formal outfits. Find one other pair, neutral colored wedges or sandals for instance, that go with all other evening outfits.

On my first cruise (7 day), I brought enough clothes to wear two complete outfits a day (a different pair of shorts & shirt for day and a night outfit) not realizing that on a Caribbean cruise I'd be in a bathing suit most days. I didn't wear 80% of what I'd packed.

I did the same, LOL. I had 7 pair of shorts and 7 cute tops just for daytime. Ended up in a bathing suit and cover up most of the day, every single day since we were either at the pool all day or doing a beach/boat type excursion. I maybe wore one pair of shorts and one or two tops to breakfast a few times and the rest was unworn. I also packed 7 completely different outfits for evenings; now I usually pack a few bottoms that I plan to wear twice each. I do usually pack a separate top for each night of the cruise, but I will still wear those tops more than once if adding pre- or post-cruise nights in the embarkation or disembarkation city.

So 12 days in all.... plan on laundry. That's the easiest way to keep luggage down. Forget about what it costs; in the grand scheme of things it's not that much so just plan on it.

As for shoes, the only time I'd pack "water shoes" would be if I was doing something like a white water rafting excursion or maybe climbing Dunns River Falls or something similar. I find them difficult to get on and off so don't care for them at all. I prefer a pair of flip flops or sandals that can get wet. These are more than sufficient for the beach, pool, or just walking around (provided they are comfortable). If I was doing a lot of walking, such as in theme parks or excursion walking tours, I'd pack a pair of sandals that have good cushion and arch support. If that pair wasn't waterproof, then maybe a pair of flip flops for the pool/beach as well. If you are actually doing formal nights on the cruise, I'd find a pair of dressy shoes that go with both formal outfits. Find one other pair, neutral colored wedges or sandals for instance, that go with all other evening outfits.

Thank you, this was helpful. I think for shoes, I'm going to pack I pair of dressy sandals that work with both of my dresses for formal nights, 1 pair of neutral wedges (I have both nude and black) that work with outfits for other dinners, flip-flops, sneakers that will work for both the theme parks and the gym on the ship. I'm on the fence about maybe bringing 1 more pair of sandals like these for walking on excursions, except mine are more of a light gold.

814yFiVZteL._SX480_.jpg

Thank you, this was helpful. I think for shoes, I'm going to pack I pair of dressy sandals that work with both of my dresses for formal nights, 1 pair of neutral wedges (I have both nude and black) that work with outfits for other dinners, flip-flops, sneakers that will work for both the theme parks and the gym on the ship. I'm on the fence about maybe bringing 1 more pair of sandals like these for walking on excursions, except mine are more of a light gold.

814yFiVZteL._SX480_.jpg

Something like that looks like a good option. I have some that are similar from Vionic... they have great cushioning and arch support, and an ankle strap to keep them firmly on my foot. They are very comfortable for lengthy periods of walking, and in hot weather I prefer them to a sneaker or similar type shoe. You'd probably get good use from them in theme parks etc. I think you have a good selection in mind, and of course you can wear one on travel day so you'd only be packing 4 pair, a couple of which don't take up much room.

So Iwhen I read the original post I didn’t thinkReina del Mar was being caty or trying to pick on the lady in the grey dress. Isimply interpreted it as she saw a lady wearing the same dress three times yetshe was wearing a different dress every night. This made her think wow doeseveryone repeat their clothing and im the1% that doesn’t. Seems like mostpeople on here do repeat at least some of their clothing. Whether its day wearor evening.

Personallyno I wouldn’t wear the same dress on a 7 day cruise, maybe on a 10. Generally for any 7 day trip cruise or landbased ill pack 7 different outfits for the day and then maybe 4 for night time.For trips longer than this I still pack 7 day outfits but also pack 7 nightones too. So if it’s a 14 day trip i’ll wear everything twice, 21 three times. Illswap tops and bottoms though so its not the same outfit exactly.

I usedto over pack and even with wearing items twice I was still packing heaps. A lotof just incase items as I hate being too hot or to cold, or even overdressed orunderdressed. It came in handy when I threw in 1 extra skirt on a trip that theweather was supposed to be mild it ended up being so hot.

I trylimit myself to 3 pairs of shoes. A casual sandshoe good for walking. A balletflat for dinner. A pair of thongs (that’s flip flops to you non Aussies)for hotweather or boots for cold. This is usually okay for short trips but longer onesnot so much. I usually want an open shoe for dinner as well like a saddle or aheel as they often look nicer with dresses. Also an open sandal good forwalking for day time to let my feet breath. So it ends up being 5.

Imake lists sometimes months in advance. I keep changing them. buying newclothes, or deciding I don’t like that item anymore. Putting aside certainitems in case I ruin them before my trip. Weeks before I go I lay outeverything on my bed and look at it all. Trying on all the outfits and looking inthe mirror to make sure its look okay. Then I practice pack. I look at how muchempty space and then weigh it. then I unpack and start reconfiguring it. I loveshopping and buying quality souvenirs to bring home so if I over pack I cantbuy and that often strives me to make better choices. This may sound tostressful to some but I am so fussy and would hate to be on holiday and realiseI brought the wrong bra for that dress. Well I was on holiday and discovered I hadbrought the wrong one. : (

I dolove watching those you tube videos of people packing in just a carry on. I couldnever do it or want to. But I love watching the videos and seeing how and whatthey pack.

If overpacking is stressing you out. Too much to unpack, too much to wash after. Or you can’t close your suitcase then yeahmaybe consider the tips a few have suggested. Otherwise enjoy your clothes andtrip

Thank you for all of the replies.

Thank you especially to Nelie, for understanding what I was trying to ask.

Hi,

Regarding all the different how's and

why's of packing, how about bringing

stuff you don't really get to wear in

your none cruise life.

My Husband is retired Air Force and

We had many functions of different

types that we had to attend.

Everything from picnics to long dress

with gloves formals. I had wives

luncheons every week. Not any more.

Now that he is retired our social life

is vastly different.

So, going on a cruise is the only way

I get to wear a variety of different

clothes.

Fortunately, he enjoys dressing up

in suits or a tux. So, a formal night for

us is a nice change, and we enjoy it.

I don't think I over pack but I do not

repeat evening attire. For days it is

the usual swimsuit, cover up or shorts. That is for a Caribbean cruise

We did a British Isle cruise last summer with 3 days in London.

Having done research on different

sites, Pinterest being the best, I had

A good idea what to pack and wear.

The weather was wet just about

every day. So, I wore jeans & leggins

just about every day.

Packed everything in a backpack

& carryon. Worked out perfectly.

So, we all have different reasons

for how and what we pack.

No 1 way works for everyone.

Tropicqueen ☺