Wi-fi

They have two different sets of plans. Which you are offered depends on which ship you're cruising on.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Does anyone know how much internet service is?

They have a few packages for a number of minutes or you can pay by the minute. If you check on line, you can prepurchase the internet packages if you think you’ll need more than a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re sailing on the Eurodam. Anyone know what our options are? And what is it like? Very slow? Pretty good?

Thanks!

Eurodam's options are by the minute as listed for the Koningsdam earlier as far as I know.

As to internet? Internet is by satellite so it is not as fast as your high speed at home but, assuming that the satellite isn't blocked and positioned appropriately it works. How well depends on the route and how the satellite is positioned in my experience.

A little searching would find many threads on Internet.

KDam is 1000 minutes for $250, 500 minutes for $175, 250 for $100, and 100 for $55.

Awwww come on, who wants to search when we have all the nice people here providing the answers.:D;)

Thanks for the info/answers you provide. We are on the Veendam, 14 nights. .

Awwww come on, who wants to search when we have all the nice people here providing the answers.:D;)

Exactly. You don't get to interact with others if you only do a search. That's half the fun here!

Does anyone know how much internet service is?

Besides way too much for this day and age!

Seriously, it seems to vary from ship to ship these days. Some have daily rates, other have minute packages (100, 250, 500, 1000, etc.).

Personally I prefer the minute package plans, as I only need internet to do some light surfing and email checking, as I don't do social media.

Eurodam's options are by the minute as listed for the Koningsdam earlier as far as I know.

As to internet? Internet is by satellite so it is not as fast as your high speed at home but, assuming that the satellite isn't blocked and positioned appropriately it works. How well depends on the route and how the satellite is positioned in my experience.

And how many people are trying to use it at any one time. I've seen times when its just abysmal and others when its only tolerable. Its never anything like what you get at home or out and about.

While the full bandwidth is pretty good from the ship, its sliced up in a variety of ways. I would not be surprised to learn that the passenger slice is pretty small compared to what the ship uses for business and what the crew gets for its personal use.

Before you buy, test the speed by downloading something from the complimentary section.
Does that really show anything? I would assume that that material would either be stored locally or ISP cached. QoS aboard a cruise ship would be highly dependent on the ship making extensive use of ISP caching.

Agree. And what can you download? I thought everything was just viewed...menus, etc.
By trying free HAL or NYTimes websites you get an indication whether performance is abysmal or just the normal poor. ;)

On the eurodam now to Alaska and just bought the internet package. Very different from what I was expecting. They have 3 tiers of WiFi: social for $14.99 per day, surf for $24.99 per day and premium for $29.99 per day.

Can have more than 1 account per stateroom but only one device at a time used on one account.

Bought premium, and it was 7 days for $139.99. Allows for audio/video, calling and streaming. We bought 2 accounts for our room, so we could have flexibility on who would have access to WiFi.

I was on the Oosterdam for a month in April. Their 1000 minute plan was $250. I found for my iPad the AT&T International Cellular Plan of 3GB for 30 days for $120. It kicked in as soon as we were near port. It worked great and I got close but didn’t use up all the gigs. Was able to post pics for those at home quickly.

we are sailing on the Veendam in August, for us its 14 days and I wondered if I am getting to use the old minute plan or have they stepped up to the social media packages yet? we had the social media plans on both carnival and ncl and worked great for checking in while away. and before I see go check yourself, I did a google search and all the hits were about 3 years old....

Edited by scm200
add thought