18 day "viking passage" questions in particular about iceland & greenland.........

Chuck

Any by my definition but with more semantic efficiencies, I am a slogger. I got to the bloody end, and I do mean bloody. And it did let me see ghosts at the Hvalsy church ruins. I am thankful for the recommendation, and it pretty much did take me 100 nights to finish it in incremental doses.

All I can say is that it absolutely transported me to that time and place. Twice. Never felt it was a slog.

Like many unfamiliar words and terms we pick up when reading or hearing them for the first time, I found it pretty easy to figure out things like wadmaal from the context.

we did the viking passage on eurodam in 2015 (copenhagen - nyc) and it was my favourite ever cruise! We loved all the ports and as for prins christian sund...breathtaking!

I actually wrote a report (with lots of photos) which might be of interest to you, the link is in my signature or click on the following link

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265322

wow and wow again. I just want to give you a "big thank you" many times over. Great photos. That sealed the deal for me. Thank you again.

Has anyone ever taken the "18 DAY VIKING PASSAGE" cruise with Holland America??? In particular I would love to hear about your experiences in ICELAND and GREENLAND. Did you feel it was worth it??? Also how did you like Rotterdam??? It looks like a very interesting cruise but would love to hear some details from someone who actually has done this cruise. Its along time to be gone for me so I just wanted to know if you felt the whole experience was worth all the effort of being gone that long as well. THANK YOU.

We took the Northern Isles cruise on the Koningsdam in 2016 and loved it! One of our favorite excursions in Iceland was “Into the Glacier”. It was pricey (about $500 per person), but we thoroughly enjoyed it! We took large four wheeled “off road” vehicles out onto the glacier to an ice cave that was dug into the glacier for scientific study. It was an exciting ride on the glacier because as we left the road and started our trek across the ice, the weather took a turn for the worse and it got very foggy and snowy. One of the vehicles got stuck in the snow and our vehicle had to pull them out. We had to put spikes on our boots for the hike into the ice cave. It was a very informative tour! Overall, it was a great day and something we’ll never forget or probably ever get the chance to do again, so I would certainly say it was worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Viking Passage on Eurodam in 2015 (Copenhagen - NYC) and it was my favourite ever cruise! We loved all the ports and as for Prins Christian Sund...breathtaking!

I actually wrote a report (with lots of photos) which might be of interest to you, the link is in my signature or click on the following link

Thank you for re-posting this. We are on this August's Viking Passage, and of course already quite excited, but just reading through your review and looking at your very beautiful photos has only heightened the excitement. Thanks again! (As someone who also posts photos, I know how time-consuming it is, so thanks for taking all that time.)

All I can say is that it absolutely transported me to that time and place. Twice. Never felt it was a slog.

Like many unfamiliar words and terms we pick up when reading or hearing them for the first time, I found it pretty easy to figure out things like wadmaal from the context.

Yes, the author was sly about introducing those new terms to create this head-scratching texture, and they did become obvious in later context. But the thrill for me was actually seeing both of the ones that intrigued me most at L'Anse Aux Meadows. Life in the long house and privacy or lack there of of these inter-generational living arrangements so often came to play through the story.

Another point of curiosity for me was common mention of "the joint disease" in the older people - more genetically prone to arthritis or it is just a universal affliction of aging. Or did they suffer from some other localized bone condition unique to Greenland - osteoporosis - lack of Vit D - long days without sunshine, calcium, though dairy played a big role in their survival food ..... these people did become "family", even the bad guys.

We did the Viking Passage on Eurodam in 2015 (Copenhagen - NYC) and it was my favourite ever cruise! We loved all the ports and as for Prins Christian Sund...breathtaking!

Thank you for sharing your amazing photos. I leave in about a week for the Viking Passage itinerary. I’ve been using a lot of Google Earth to “look around” the ports, but your photos and commentary really bring these places to life!

I did the Viking Passage in 2016 starting from Rotterdam so heading west -- It was the BEST vacation and cruise I have ever been on. The photos in the thread are exactly what you will be seeing -- I still go and look at my photos from that cruise --- Iceland and Greenland are breath-taking. I would do this cruise every year if I could afford it. My advice is to go to ALL the enrichment lectures and port talks -- you can pick up tidbits that will help you plan your days in port. You do not have to do the ships tours and can just walk around the small towns --- The Prince Christian Sound was amazing -- be sure to go outside all through the day because the weather and sights change -- I got some of the best photos after dinner and as we were leaving the sound in the evening -- people are amazed when I show them to them.

I enjoyed the Rotterdam - -the entertainment was great but I have heard that has changed -- the singers were with the British agency and I think this has changed and also the BB Kings was the best!!! So sorry that is gone now.

You will have a wonderful time and be sure to buy some Serious chocolate bars in Iceland --- just get them at the grocery store -- best chocolate ever!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!

DW and I have done the cruise three times now, but not for several years -- we sailed from Copenhagen in 2009, from Dover in 2011, and from Amsterdam in 2013. I don't think they even called it "Viking Passage" the first couple of times. And, all were on Eurodam, not Rotterdam.

I live-blogged all three crossings. My photo handling skills got better over time, but even the first one has some attached photos that may be useful. Here are links to my blogs at the time(s); perhaps you may find them interesting:

2009 blog: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039651

2011 blog: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468674

2013 blog: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904162

Dave

Great review & photos. Thank you for sharing the link.

Thanks for all the great information! Photos, books all add to the adventure. This is one we are considering.

Just wondering how kind the seas are? I am a bit of a fair weather sailor and have shied away from a TA because of my concern. I know there are no guarantees, but wondering how the seas have been before?

Just wondering how kind the seas are? I am a bit of a fair weather sailor and have shied away from a TA because of my concern. I know there are no guarantees, but wondering how the seas have been before?

I do not want to scare you off, but since you asked---

It wasn't the Viking Passage cruise, but on my first Voyage of the Vikings (similar route across the Atlantic) we had 38 hours of 45' seas, with one wave coming in at 80'. It was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on steroids.

The next year was smooth as glass the entire 34 days. I had to check to be sure we were actually at sea.

My Viking Passage and third Voyage of the Vikings cruises had the normal motion of the ocean, with a little rocking to sleep, but nothing bothersome.

YMMV

I want to continue to Thank everyone very much who have posted on my original question. I never really gave any thought about possible rough ocean waves. It does truly sound like a very interesting and enjoyable cruise.

We board the Rotterdam in 9 days, so all of these positive comments are very welcome. Thanks to all.

Bon Voyage! You will enjoy a unique cruise experience!

And, if King Neptune is upset and causes some rough seas: that also will be part of your memory that will make this cruise a unique one.

Bon Voyage! You will enjoy a unique cruise experience!

And, if King Neptune is upset and causes some rough seas: that also will be part of your memory that will make this cruise a unique one.

Thanks for your good wishes...Tom