Caribbean Small Ship Alternatives

Hi. After taking a European river cruise recently, we thought it might be nice to try a small ship caribbean cruise rather than the mega ships we have been on previously. I saw a Regent brochure on this (about 300 passengers), so I was wondering what other cruise lines should we look at. Are there big differences in cost, formality? We are in our 60's. Thanks !!!

Seadream Yacht Club (here is a link) https://seadream.com may be the only luxury cruise line with under 300 passengers. There are luxury yachts that would meet your requirements but finding a cruise ship (vs. a boat) that small could be a challenge. Regent's smallest ship holds 490 passengers.

Perhaps some other posters have more ideas. Just thought of Windstar but that is more of a premium rather than luxury experience from what I have read.

Seadream Yacht Club (here is a link) https://seadream.com may be the only luxury cruise line with under 300 passengers. There are luxury yachts that would meet your requirements but finding a cruise ship (vs. a boat) that small could be a challenge. Regent's smallest ship holds 490 passengers.

Perhaps some other posters have more ideas. Just thought of Windstar but that is more of a premium rather than luxury experience from what I have read.

Thanks, I didn't have a specific number in mind, but 500-1,000 would be a nice number. Also, I'm not sure what luxury means, but we would lean toward business casual for the dining room.

Regent's dress code is "Elegant Casual" on sailing up to 15 nights. On cruises over 15 nights there will be one or two "Formal Optional" nights. Here is a link to the answers of many questions about Regent (including dress code). https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard

Regent is the most inclusive luxury cruise line. In addition to included drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and tipping, Regent also includes International Business Class Air and/or Domestic Coach Air and included excursions in each port (there are also "Regent Choice" excursions that cost additional money). When you use Regent's included air, they also include transportation to and from the ship. And, if you book a Concierge or higher suite, it also includes a night at a pre-cruise hotel.

There are four main luxury cruise lines that people in the U.S. tend to use the most ...... in alphabetical order they are Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. Each of these cruise lines are a bit different. Silversea, for instance, is the most formal of the four cruise lines and Crystal has the smallest suites. All four cruise lines are excellent - recommend that you check out the individual websites.

We are big fans of Windstar but have only traveled on their sailing ships. We like the country club casual dress environment. The service is superb, but everything is not included...esp the alcohol. They now have an inexpensive laundry package which is wonderful. For a Caribbean cruise I would prefer one of the Windstar sailing ships, old and refurbished as they are. But not a true luxury experience. FWIW:cool:

Thanks, I didn't have a specific number in mind, but 500-1,000 would be a nice number. Also, I'm not sure what luxury means, but we would lean toward business casual for the dining room.

Seabourn would fit the bill with that number of passengers. If you want to go a bit smaller, Seadream was mentioned as well as Windstar. Silversea would also be an option.