4th of July

janetjulie

The only thing we had on my cruise last July was some special selections at dinner, which included Boston baked beans, and corn on the cob. I think fried chicken was an entrée, but can't remember for certain.

There was nothing else to note the date. Perhaps that was because we were in Europe, and there were a lot of non-Americans???

The ships are not American...and Independence day is an American holiday. The rest of the world doesn't give a fig!

HAL realizes who is predominantly on cruises like the OP, and may do some small things to acknowledge the holiday. Just like they do on Thanksgiving, another America only holiday.

When was the last time you sailed on an American only holiday?

HAL realizes who is predominantly on cruises like the OP, and may do some small things to acknowledge the holiday. Just like they do on Thanksgiving, another America only holiday.

When was the last time you sailed on an American only holiday?

Oh? You may hold it on a different date, but Thanksgiving is not a solely American Holiday.

Does HAL do anything special on July 4th? We will be on Veendam at Half Moon Kay from 7 to 3.

The main dining room was decorated with red, white, and blue bunting and balloons, but I don't remember if there was anything different on the menu.

Our cruise two years ago started on July 4th. They had some nice decorations in the dining room. The menu reflected the holiday too. So, I guess someone DID "give a fig". :) :)

IMG_4983-M.jpg

IMG_4981-M.jpg

I have been on board HAL ships when they acknowledged Canadian Thanksgiving, and also Canada Day, with an announcement by the cruise director, decorations including flags, even a cocktail reception one time (we had a lot of Canadians on board). Can't speak for American Independence day, as we're typically at home for that holiday.

One caveat: Things have changed so much on HAL in the last year, that I can't guarantee the situation going forward will be the same regarding holidays. On Memorial Day which took place during our recent last cruise, the CD made an announcement, but there was nothing done, even privately, to honor the many veterans on board (we had many nationalities on the itinerary). That's HAL's prerogative, and I can understand the issues involved.

If a holiday is meaningful to an individual passenger, I would suggest perhaps bringing along some decorations that symbolize or reflect the day for display in one's cabin.

The ships are not American...and Independence day is an American holiday. The rest of the world doesn't give a fig!

You'd be surprised.

Walking through Edinburgh Castle one July 4th, a guard wished me a "Happy Birthday"! I got a very confused look on my face, and he explained "Your country!"

I have been on board HAL ships when they acknowledged Canadian Thanksgiving, and also Canada Day, with an announcement by the cruise director, decorations including flags, even a cocktail reception one time (we had a lot of Canadians on board).

Thanks, Mom, good to know. We've not cruised over any holiday, other than Easter, and had no idea whether or not celebrates Canadian holidays.

On Memorial Day which took place during our recent last cruise, the CD made an announcement, but there was nothing done, even privately, to honor the many veterans on board (we had many nationalities on the itinerary).

Memorial Day isn’t for living veterans (that is for Veteran’s Day in November). Memorial Day is to recognize those who served who have passed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Memorial Day isn’t for living veterans (that is for Veteran’s Day in November). Memorial Day is to recognize those who served who have passed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. You are correct. I apologize. What I should have said is that there were numerous veterans on board, some of whom wished to hold a memorial service in honor of their fallen comrades. The priest on board was willing to hold an interdenominational memorial service in observance of the holiday. The cruise director told them that HAL corporate hq said "no".