Dress Code Question

We have been sailing on Regent for 14 years and to my knowledge, no one is laughing about how the dress code was in 2004. In fact, despite the change to a less formal dress code several years ago, there are still plenty of people that follow part of the prior dress code (jackets, suits, tires, etc.).

In terms of the old days that is off topic, based what is going on in the last few years, life was easier and safer back then and parents are still telling their children what to wear.

A major reason I originally chose Regent was the relatively casual dress code. It is one of the reasons I continue to choose Regent. I almost always pack a sports jacket but I almost never wear it. I enjoy casual and I dislike being hot. I'm very exothermic and a the ship is usually not nearly cool enough for me to be comfortable in a jacket.

For those that appreciate jackets, please do continue to wear one. For those that think everyone should wear one, well, there are other luxury lines where they are more prevalent and we all have the freedom of choice.

Best,

John

Johnthesailor - Exactly! You "get it"! +10. Whenever this thread gets too mellow for some, and everyone is actually "enjoying" the pics, blogs, excursion reports, planning for their next cruise, etc. Someone, invariably, has to pull their box of soap out of the garage, climb up on it, and "spin everything up". Never fails. Best Regards.

Just as predicted--[deluge]

As attributed to either Madame de Pompador or Louie XV: "It [Ancien Regeme] will last my lifetime. Mais, apre's moi, le deluge." More right than they knew. French Revolution. New values. Flood, and off with so-many heads, including that of Louie XVI.

The following comment is an analogy. As with most analogies, this one limps a bit. But, no heads will be lost. I will conclude input on this Thread on a happy note. As usual, there is a play or movie narrative which more or less fits this occasion.

1963 movie, "Bye Bye Birdie". Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margaret, Janet Leigh, and one of my all-time favorite comics, Paul Lynde. Lynde sings "Kids". Basically, Why can't kids be more like we were (parents) perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today?"

Times change. Dress codes on 5+ ships change. My wife and I have been doing same for 23+ years. The old will not be reborn. I get that. Just hold-out for a modicum of respect for others. Like, no Bermuda shorts at dinner in Compass Rose.

GOARMY!

I suppose I am missing the point here too. I realize we are all getting more casual. People wear jeans and sneakers or flip flops to church and shorts are acceptable in many fine dining restaurants. But there are dress codes. Schools have them. Businesses have them. Even shopping malls make you wear shoes and shirts.

Are we bemoaning the fact that men don't wear sports jackets or that they don't have to wear sports jackets? To me, it is kind of like prayer in school. No one makes you pray in school anymore, but no one prohibits it either. I would rather be overdressed that underdressed anytime. Sometimes I like to get dressed up, put on the jewelry and sparkle, But after a long day in port, I may not want to hassle with the gown and heels.

I found the 2 formals, 2 informals and elegant casual on Silver Sea to be rather a pain in the neck at times. It was too regimented and with luggage restrictions, to hard to pack for. I am looking forward to our next Regent Cruise, the first in many years, and hopefully we won't have to worry about jeans, shorts, or backward hats!

The beauty of the Regent dress code is that you can wear a tuxedo, suit & tie, sports jacket or slacks and a buttoned shirt. It could not be an easier to follow dress code. Women wear dresses, skirts and tops, slacks and tops, etc. While it is not necessary, some people like to dress up in the specialty restaurants and/or the night of the Captain's Reception.

The discussion about jeans makes no sense to me whatsoever. What one wears to a fine dining restaurant is completely different in New York, Florida, Texas and California and if you add in Europe, you will generally find that people dress up more than in the states. For this reason, a dress code on a luxury cruise ship makes sense. This has little to nothing to do with age. Many of us wear jeans and/or shorts a lot at home and at some restaurants but this does not mean that we expect to wear them in a luxury environment.

Regent even permits polo shirts after 6:00 p.m. (something that I do not enjoy seeing but it is Regent's ship and Regent's rules so I respect passengers right to wear them).

IMO, Regent has the best of both worlds and as some of you know, certain fashion is timeless

GOARMY - while I usually agree with you, I question one statement that you made ..... "The old will not be reborn". Assuming that you are discussing fashion, from my perspective everything that was once fashionable has returned at one time on another. The one thing I do notice is the width of the ties. The ties that seem to be "in" right now remind me of what was worn in old movies (before my time). Also, mini-skirts were popular in the 60's and have returned a few times since.

If we live long enough, I suppose that young people that have never really had to wear tuxedos or suits and ties will find them fascinating and would look forward to wearing them on a luxury cruise line....... stranger things have happened.

Travel Cat: Cannot resist.

Yes, the ties that bind. (Thin and broad) Correct--fashion does come back. Like, for example, my double breasted tux jacket, which will be worn tonight at the Captain's Farewell gathering. Confession: before this cruise, had to take the pants portion back to the store where tux was originally purchased over 20 years ago. First-time for extension of the belt-line. Time and tide.

That shop also provides free pressing. Upon seeing my tux top, the salesperson advised this style is now back in style. The more things change--the more they stay the same.

See you on Splendor--LA in 03/2020, if not before.

GOARMY!

I was just-waiting for this. Have I got a deal for anyone. It will fund down payment for yet-another cruise. Putting my current tux up for auction.

First bid minimum: $4,000.00

Regards.

GOARMY!

As I re-read this thread I remember that when Regent switched to the "Country Club Casual" dress code many of us - myself included - warned that it would be a slippery slope. And it seems to be that if men are wearing baseball caps indoors (and backwards too!!) Still it is probably better than the more "regimented" dress code of the past.

And so I have a question - we have a 16 night cruise planned and from the literature I assume there will be at least one "formal" night. I hope this doesn't mean that I have to pack my husband's DJ and all that goes with it and bring it trans-Atlantic for just one evening?? Normally in the evening he wears a navy blazer and a tie. Will that do? please tell me!! (If it won't we can always have dinner in our suite that evening...)

As I re-read this thread I remember that when Regent switched to the "Country Club Casual" dress code many of us - myself included - warned that it would be a slippery slope. And it seems to be that if men are wearing baseball caps indoors (and backwards too!!) Still it is probably better than the more "regimented" dress code of the past.

And so I have a question - we have a 16 night cruise planned and from the literature I assume there will be at least one "formal" night. I hope this doesn't mean that I have to pack my husband's DJ and all that goes with it and bring it trans-Atlantic for just one evening?? Normally in the evening he wears a navy blazer and a tie. Will that do? please tell me!! (If it won't we can always have dinner in our suite that evening...)

There will be two formal optional evenings on your cruise. The key word is “optional.” Here is what the dress code FAQ says:

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual resort wear. Formal and semi-formal attire is optional on sailings of 16 nights or more.”

So your husband’s blazer and tie will be fine each night of the cruise. Unless your husband wants his DJ, there is no requirement to bring it or a suit for the formal optional evenings.

Hi Gerry

My DH Herb never wears a suit or even a sport coat. Not even a tie. On formal nights he wears a lovely shirt and slacks. That’s it. No one ever said anything to us. I will wear a dressy top with pants.

See you in 2020.

Regards

Sheila

Phew! This is great news, Dave and Sheila. Packing Ken's DJ and all that goes with it takes a lot of space and it is heavy. Blazer is perfect and we are planning to buy him a new one at BB when we are in California before the cruise...if we don't find that, then Herb and Ken will be twins...

Phew! This is great news, Dave and Sheila. Packing Ken's DJ and all that goes with it takes a lot of space and it is heavy. Blazer is perfect and we are planning to buy him a new one at BB when we are in California before the cruise...if we don't find that, then Herb and Ken will be twins...

Can’t wait to meet you and Ken! It’s still a long wait, but I am sure it will be worth it. With all the changes you and I made, this cruise is destined.

Sheila

Hi Gerry

My DH Herb never wears a suit or even a sport coat. Not even a tie. On formal nights he wears a lovely shirt and slacks. That’s it. No one ever said anything to us. I will wear a dressy top with pants.

See you in 2020.

Regards

Sheila

I am wondering if the reverse is true. I’m booking a 10 day cruise on the explorer and while the dress code mentions formal nights for cruises 16 days or longer, will I be out of place to wear a tux for dinner on occasion given the elegant casual dress code in force. Somewhere I read that there was a Captains Dinner, so I thought it might be OK for that evening. Thanks

I am wondering if the reverse is true. I’m booking a 10 day cruise on the explorer and while the dress code mentions formal nights for cruises 16 days or longer, will I be out of place to wear a tux for dinner on occasion given the elegant casual dress code in force. Somewhere I read that there was a Captains Dinner, so I thought it might be OK for that evening. Thanks

You would not be out of place. Wearing it for the Captain's Reception is a great idea (usually the 2nd night). Actually, you can wear it as much or as little as you wish. Some men wear suits every day - jackets and slacks, slacks and short or long sleeved shirts, etc.

Enjoy the Explorer - it is our favorite ship by far!

That’s what makes a Regent cruise great— excluding jeans, shorts etc., dress however you feel comfortable. You will never feel out of place.

And, enjoy. Explorer is also my favorite ship.

Sheila

Hi,

So what about Thanksgiving on a TA, is it more formal? I know Thanksgiving is only for Americans, but I do love dressing up! Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread!!

Lisa

The last three years we have been on a Regent ship on Thanksgiving (and will be this year). While I haven't noticed people dressing up very much, there are always some that do. Dress in a way that makes you feel good!

In my opinion, it really depends upon where the ship will be for the 10 day cruise. While Alaska and Caribbean cruises tend to be more casual, when the ship is in the Mediterranean or the Baltics, people tend to dress up more (likely because there are more Europeans onboard). I am always surprised at how many men dress up for the Captain's Reception as well as the Seven Seas Society event and when they dine in a specialty restaurant.

I would not tell someone that wears polo shirts to dinner (which I really do not like) not to do so nor would I suggest that a tuxedo is too formal.

I am a notorious over dresser, so probably the last person to ask on this topic, but if someone owns a tux and wants to wear it, I say go for it. Just don’t be bothered that you may be the only one there with a tux. But on the night of the Captain’s reception, a lot of people still really dress up. I usually wear a sparkly cocktail dress on that night, and on a couple of other nights as well.