HAL and Swollen Ankles

LewiLewi

I can't speak for HAL specifically, but very little food on cruise ships is "prepared".

One problem with consuming ship's water is that distilled water, in addition to removing sodium, removes magnesium and potassium, which tend to regulate the body's sodium level, and therefore even low sodium water sources can cause you to retain sodium and hence water. Eating foods high in these elements like spinach, almonds, or cashew can alleviate this problem.

Interesting. I didn’t swell on my last couple of cruises and have been doing the low sodium option for the MDR and take magnesium supplements (as my RBC Mg has been low. I’m wondering if that might explain partially the lack of swelling.

There's actually a term for it...'cruise feet'. I've wondered if it's partly due to salt air from being on the sea. I found this interesting article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/6952532/Why-do-my-feet-and-ankles-swell-when-Im-on-a-ships-cruise.html

And this video:

topic starts at about 7:30 mark

I always notice when my rings start getting too tight.

On our recent Alaska Explorer cruise, I did for the first time limit myself to bottled water only -- very little ship water. They say it's totally desalinated, but...who knows? Also, I tried to select baked goods and breads that aren't typically made with baking soda/baking powder. I bake enough myself to kind of know what may be in there, and there are plenty of things to eat without those ingredients.

Anyhow, it seemed to make a difference for me. I gained cruise weight, but not that weird puffy thing. I didn't swell up as much. This is, of course, just anecdotal, but these changes did seem to make a difference.

HAL bunkers water at various ports. Rarely do they make water onboard. Now long transoceanic is different to cruises that hug the coasts like Alaska, Canada, Caribbean.

HAL bunkers water at various ports. Rarely do they make water onboard. Now long transoceanic is different to cruises that hug the coasts like Alaska, Canada, Caribbean.

I would disagree with this. Yes, they will bunker water in ports, if the water supply at the exact hydrant being used (not a generic water quality report) has been tested within the last month and it meets EPA requirements for safe drinking water for cruises that call at the US), but this water must be kept segregated, and not used onboard until a coliform bacteria test has come back negative, and this takes 18-24 hours. Additionally, a ship uses way more water than can be taken in 6-8 hours through a couple of 2-1/2" fire hoses. So, the ship takes on water in port, and also makes water while underway. While use of Reverse Osmosis units can cost money in maintenance, it generally isn't as much as the per ton charge for water. Flash evaporators are almost cost free water, since there is little maintenance, and the main source of "power" is the heat from the diesel engines that would otherwise be transferred to the ocean and wasted. To give an example, when the Norwegian Sky was the Pride of Aloha, sailing in Hawaii, we had as many hoses out as the cities would allow (one each for Nawiliwili, Kahului, and Kona, and two for Honolulu). We were in port for 100 of the 168 hours of the cruise, taking water the entire time in port, and we just still had to make water onboard.

I am saying that bunkering happens more often than the perceived notion that all water used on board is self made and thus have a high sodium content than municipal sources.

I would disagree with this. Yes, they will bunker water in ports, if the water supply at the exact hydrant being used (not a generic water quality report) has been tested within the last month and it meets EPA requirements for safe drinking water for cruises that call at the US), but this water must be kept segregated, and not used onboard until a coliform bacteria test has come back negative, and this takes 18-24 hours. Additionally, a ship uses way more water than can be taken in 6-8 hours through a couple of 2-1/2" fire hoses. So, the ship takes on water in port, and also makes water while underway. While use of Reverse Osmosis units can cost money in maintenance, it generally isn't as much as the per ton charge for water. Flash evaporators are almost cost free water, since there is little maintenance, and the main source of "power" is the heat from the diesel engines that would otherwise be transferred to the ocean and wasted. To give an example, when the Norwegian Sky was the Pride of Aloha, sailing in Hawaii, we had as many hoses out as the cities would allow (one each for Nawiliwili, Kahului, and Kona, and two for Honolulu). We were in port for 100 of the 168 hours of the cruise, taking water the entire time in port, and we just still had to make water onboard.

I am saying that bunkering happens more often than the perceived notion that all water used on board is self made and thus have a high sodium content than municipal sources.

In fact, the high sodium levels would come from the bunkered municipal water. Flash evaporators make water at 1ppm sodium, and reject (divert the water made to overboard) when the sodium reaches 10ppm. Reverse Osmosis units make water at 10-20ppm, and reject the water at 20ppm. From their own municipal water quality reports, NYC reports 30-60ppm, and Miami 20-50ppm sodium.

In fact, the high sodium levels would come from the bunkered municipal water. Flash evaporators make water at 1ppm sodium, and reject (divert the water made to overboard) when the sodium reaches 10ppm. Reverse Osmosis units make water at 10-20ppm, and reject the water at 20ppm. From their own municipal water quality reports, NYC reports 30-60ppm, and Miami 20-50ppm sodium.

I absolutely agree.

I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions. I don't know if there is any single solution for this problem, but I will consider everything that I have read on this thread.

I now see that the is not an unusual problem. It seems to be generally on many cruise ships and probably has a connection to the food and water intake.

Again, thank you for your quick responses.

Marilyn

I have the same problem when I fly. By the time we arrive at the cruise port, swollen feet are part of the cruise. In my case, it isn't the salt in the food, but I do watch what I eat on HAL or any other line we cruise. My doctor said some people are more prone to it than others and to drink lots of water and eat right. I've tried diuretics, compression socks, etc. all to no avail. I just bring wide width shoes and go with it.

Go with chengkp's suggestion - eat more spinach and/or almonds and cashews to rebalance any sodium regulation mineral loss.

Or try adding the onboard mineral water (Evian), which is higher in some mineral content than other bottled waters. Here is a list of a wide array of other foods high in potassium and magnesium: https://www.livestrong.com/article/86292-foods-rich-potassium-magnesium/ Lower-calorie choices too.

Ha, no I know why I had less of a problem the cruise I got addicted to the Kale Caesar Salad at the NY Pizza station.

I can't speak for HAL specifically, but very little food on cruise ships is "prepared".

One problem with consuming ship's water is that distilled water, in addition to removing sodium, removes magnesium and potassium, which tend to regulate the body's sodium level, and therefore even low sodium water sources can cause you to retain sodium and hence water. Eating foods high in these elements like spinach, almonds, or cashew can alleviate this problem.

You mean that no food on HAL is cooked? I was referring to cooked food as opposed to raw fruits and vegetables.

You mean that no food on HAL is cooked? I was referring to cooked food as opposed to raw fruits and vegetables.

I think this might refer to processed or pre-prepared foods. We know to not take your statement too literally too. Obviously those who order special diets that require strict preparation process and ingredient control could expect to get "pre-prepared" meals or food items that have been stocked onboard ahead of time to ensure their expected food safety requirements.

The term "processed and prepared food" gives the implication of foods that have been prepared in factories and packaged for cooking at a later date. Very, very little of cruise ship food is "processed and prepared food", it is almost invariably prepared from scratch. Yes, cooking is considered to be "processing", but when coupled with the term "prepared food", that implies the "frozen dinner", and jarred pasta sauces philosophy of food handling. These foods are known to be higher in sodium than the same food made from scratch.

The term "processed and prepared food" gives the implication of foods that have been prepared in factories and packaged for cooking at a later date. Very, very little of cruise ship food is "processed and prepared food", it is almost invariably prepared from scratch. Yes, cooking is considered to be "processing", but when coupled with the term "prepared food", that implies the "frozen dinner", and jarred pasta sauces philosophy of food handling. These foods are known to be higher in sodium than the same food made from scratch.

I don't know where you read processed in my post. I only wrote prepared - meaning not raw.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know where you read processed in my post. I only wrote prepared - meaning not raw.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That may be because I was not originally responding to your post, but to the one from cbr663. Apologies for not including that post as a quote, but I tend to want to keep threads as short as possible.