New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

It's a standard sized hand held hair dryer. A bit bigger than mine at home actually.

I believe they are 1600watts. Mine at home is 1875W, but the one in cabin is adequate if you don’t want to pack one more thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate to even bring up this topic but I do have a question about...tips!

If you have room service delivered, how much is a standard tip? Cash or can you put it on your bill like a hotel room?

Thanks! And, please, no fighting!

I hate to even bring up this topic but I do have a question about...tips!

If you have room service delivered, how much is a standard tip? Cash or can you put it on your bill like a hotel room?

Thanks! And, please, no fighting!

I just gave the delivery guy a couple dollars in cash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I just gave the delivery guy a couple dollars in cash.

Me too unless it's a big order .

Here's my question -If (when) they screw up the order , do you tip the person bringing the missing item ?

I hate to but it's not the fault of the delivery person so ... I don't know . :confused:

Me too unless it's a big order .

Here's my question -If (when) they screw up the order , do you tip the person bringing the missing item ?

I hate to but it's not the fault of the delivery person so ... I don't know .

In our case, it was the same guy. I didnt feel the need to tip again.

Going on Koningsdam July, Amsterdam to Norway fjords, so start and duration are not my home country (USA) . My credit cards all impose both an international fee & a conversion fee for purchases abroad. Assume no ,conversion fee for onboard purchases since ship currency is USD . Anyone know if international fees are inposed?

Going on Koningsdam July, Amsterdam to Norway fjords, so start and duration are not my home country (USA) . My credit cards all impose both an international fee & a conversion fee for purchases abroad. Assume no ,conversion fee for onboard purchases since ship currency is USD . Anyone know if international fees are inposed?

You should be fine. My credit card shows the main Holland America head office - same as when I make a payment. (Seattle).

Here's my question -If (when) they screw up the order , do you tip the person bringing the missing item ? I hate to but it's not the fault of the delivery person so ... I don't know . :confused:
When a mistake is made, the obligation passes to the boss. When your meal is badly screwed up at a restaurant, they comp your meal - this is the same thing.

No international fees. All charges are in US to a US Head Office.

New cruiser, going to Aaska on Westerdam in September.

We have open dining, can we request a table near a window or is it just luck?

Can we fill water bottles somewhere anytime or should we order bottled water (or can we bring with us)?

On Glacier Bay day is it best to be on our balcony or on a specific deck on Westerdam ?

Thanks;)

New cruiser, going to Aaska on Westerdam in September.

You can always ask, they can always say "no", or (more likely) "that will likely be quite a wait".

Can we fill water bottles somewhere anytime or should we order bottled water (or can we bring with us)?
FDA recommends hot soapy water between uses, but you do have hot and cold running

water in your stateroom. I'd order a case or two pre-cruise for the same price as just a few

bottles one-at-a-time.

On Glacier Bay day is it best to be on our balcony or on a specific deck on Westerdam ?
The Captain will spin the ship 180º at the best spot(s). So... free choice.

Thanks;)

If you go very early or very late you have a better chance, but as you say, it's mostly luck.

You can refill your water bottles from the tap in your bathroom or from the water cooler in the Lido. In the latter case, you are meant to use a clean glass or cup to fill your water bottle rather than doing so directly. Yes, you can bring on bottled water but the ship's water is fine.

On the Oosterdam, they allowed us on the helipad. I don't know whether or not access to the foredeck of the Westerdam is permitted, but I would find a deck from which to observe. I wouldn't limit myself to the view from my balcony.

Thanks;)

Enjoy yourselves!

What's the etiquette for room services trays when you are finished? Do you call room service to come get them?

Yes. There will be a number on your tray that you can call. If your Room Steward is cleaning your room, they will take care of it for you.

Do not leave your tray in the hallway as it blocks those on scooters.

Yes. There will be a number on your tray that you can call. If your Room Steward is cleaning your room, they will take care of it for you.

Do not leave your tray in the hallway as it blocks those on scooters.

Yes, I found that out the hard way as I was making my way down the corridor on my scooter and just about tipped over trying to avoid the tray that someone left around a corner on the floor!!

What's the etiquette for room services trays when you are finished? Do you call room service to come get them?

You may call, and they say to do so. But what we tend to do is get room service for breakfast. Then we go out for the day, and I leave out the "service room" card. When we return, the tray is gone. Unless you really want that tray gone immediately after you eat, the "Please service room" card worked great for us on a recent HAL cruise.

Are all tips prepaid on HA?

Each person gets billed "HSC" (i.e. tips) to their onboard account daily.

Yes, it's supposed to cover all normal services, and is shared by behind-the-scenes staff.

No more envelopes handed out to room steward, busboy, maître d', etc.

Bar (and spa?) tips are billed at 15% at the time of service on top of that.

The only time *I* feel a need to tip directly is $2 to the room service delivery guy. YMMV.

We're looking at the Ancient Empires cruise in April 2019 and my question concerns flying in and out of Rome. Since the cruise is sailing at 5:00 PM, what would be the latest time to arrive into Rome? Secondly, what time should we book a flight out of Rome if the ship arrives into port at 7:00 AM?

Thanks in advance.

We're looking at the Ancient Empires cruise in April 2019 and my question concerns flying in and out of Rome. Since the cruise is sailing at 5:00 PM, what would be the latest time to arrive into Rome? Secondly, what time should we book a flight out of Rome if the ship arrives into port at 7:00 AM?

Thanks in advance.

The latest time to arrive would be the day before and no I am not kidding . If you're not already in Europe it would be a mistake to not arrive at least the day before, preferably two days before. Besides the danger of missing your ship, why start the cruise with jet lag.

We stayed in Rome and took that mornings train. Not difficult if you have good mobility.

As for departure, we flew out at 2 PM with a private shuttle. I would give more time if you're using ship transportation.