Cruise in October - Will I know In advance if weather will be a big factor?

Probably a silly question - Thinking of booking a cruise in october with cancelation insurance. If a hurricane is going to be a big factor (if it’s going to change itenararies, extend trip, etc), will I know ahead of time before taking the cruise?? Recently saw a post where October cruise was extended by many days due to hurricane. I really don’t want to be in this situation because I will have a child at home with grand parents.

So, basically, even if it’s only a day or two before, will I know if this is doing to be an issue???? I know this is really a “weather” question, but I’m not studied on weather and hurricanes. I would rather cancel the cruise if this may be an issue.

Thanks!!

There is nothing predicable about weather. You will obviously know if there is a hurricane approaching, but as far as if the cruise is called off, you might not know until the last minute. There’s no way to know if you may get stuck out to sea. If they had a crystal ball, then the people that it’s happened to in the past wouldn’t have been blindsided. A week is a long time for a new hurricane to form and just because there isn’t one when you leave doesn’t mean there won’t be when you’re coming home. There’s also the possibility your itinerary could be altered a little or totally upended. That’s a chance you take. No one can predict the future.

You likely won't know if the cruise will be extended until you are on the cruise. Trust me they want to stick to schedule if possible. Hurricanes are unpredictable. I've seen them be expected to be a major event and die out. I've seen them predict a non event and it be a massive storm. They may say it's going to follow one path and it go another. So there's no way to know until that time.

Maybe, maybe not. When we were on our February cruise everything looked great when we left. We had to come back through the remnants of a nor'easter- 50 to 60 knot winds and 30-40 foot waves. I loved it!

:halo::halo:

Probably a silly question - Thinking of booking a cruise in october with cancelation insurance. If a hurricane is going to be a big factor (if it’s going to change itenararies, extend trip, etc), will I know ahead of time before taking the cruise?? Recently saw a post where October cruise was extended by many days due to hurricane. I really don’t want to be in this situation because I will have a child at home with grand parents.

So, basically, even if it’s only a day or two before, will I know if this is doing to be an issue???? I know this is really a “weather” question, but I’m not studied on weather and hurricanes. I would rather cancel the cruise if this may be an issue.

Thanks!!

I just spoke to GOD and he told me that the weather will be perfect...please book immediately

Not asking how the weather will be on a cruise. I’m asking if hurricane issues are generally known before a 3 or 4 day cruise.

While storm tracking is not absolutely precise, the projected tracks are usually aired on TV weather reports three or four days out. If you do not live near the port, you local news shows might not help - log on to weather.com and specify port city and area of cruise, and you should have a fair general picture two or three days in advance.

So, if weather is a worry, maybe cruising during hurricane season is not a good idea for you. IF and a BIG IF some weather system pops up during your cruise and you get delayed....can't the grandparents cope with the child for a couple of more days?

So, if weather is a worry, maybe cruising during hurricane season is not a good idea for you. IF and a BIG IF some weather system pops up during your cruise and you get delayed....can't the grandparents cope with the child for a couple of more days?

I agree with this. If the hurricane is predicted before you leave or to develop while you are gone, the cruise line will do it's best to go around it. Itinerary maybe be changed before you leave but often will happen once on board. As far as delays getting back, that won't be determined ahead of time. Also you mentioned cancellation insurance, make sure you read the policy completely, some may not cover you cancelling because you might encounter bad weather

No one can truly answer your question! Every case and scenario is different. Hurricanes can cause delays, changes, etc., but so can mechanical problems, accidents, fires, etc. Lots of things can affect a cruise, or any other type of vacation. The old saying **** happens!

Also be very careful with insurance. If the cruise is a "go" and you decide to cancel last minute because of a possible hurricane you might not get your money back. Ship could just change itinerary if a hurricane is forecast.

If you are so concerned, and babysitting situation is one of your major worries, I would say you are not ready to cruise without your child; or perhaps not ready to cruise or vacation away from home.

A TRS forms many days before it hits the Caribbean or the Mainland. However, it will be about 3 to 4 days out before they can estimate the track with reasonable probability, but nothing associated with weather is a guarantee.

Even as a mariner trained in Meteorology and how to mitigate the effects of a TRS, I can't give you an answer that could give you a comfort level.

However, cruise lines try everything possible to avoid changing schedules. The other thing would be to search how many cruises are impacted by a TRS. I suggest it will be a very small percentage.

We took a cruise to the Caribbean in August one year. When we left home to fly down to Fort Lauderdale, we knew there was a tropical storm heading toward the Bahamas. The captain announced the first night that we would be skipping going to Princess Cays in the Bahamas due to the storm. We had a day at sea in beautiful weather instead.

Maybe, maybe not. When we were on our February cruise everything looked great when we left. We had to come back through the remnants of a nor'easter- 50 to 60 knot winds and 30-40 foot waves. I loved it!

We were also on this cruise, and also loved the rough seas:D:cool: - I'm a bit weird;p We were considerably delayed getting back Sunday - I think we arrived around 3 or 4pm, off the ship around 4 or 5.

We also took a Canadian cruise in mid/late October last year and had rough seas on the way back. No delays, but you really can't predict how the storms will track.

Thanks!!

As others have said, there is really no way of knowing in advance. Some of the cruises last year that were cancelled had a day or maybe two notice, but others only hours. The bigger concern for me (if I was in your situation) was the delayed return. These you will almost certainly not know about in advance. Sometimes they can dock early at a different port and give the option of disembarking there and finding your own way home, but that may or may not work for you. You also might end up delayed with no option of early disembarking. It may also be beautiful weather and run according to schedule;)If scheduling is tight with the grandparents and they cannot manage an extra couple days, you should probably cancel the cruise:(

Not asking how the weather will be on a cruise. I’m asking if hurricane issues are generally known before a 3 or 4 day cruise.

the Captain does not make a final determination until the last minute. hurricane paths can change at a moments' notice. our last one here, the path was predicted to hit me square on. it ended up making landfall about 50 miles east of us and we got nothing of consequence.

Thanks!!

Could you answer this question concerning your weather at home? If you can do it for home you can do it for a cruise.

Took a cruise last October, and we didn't experience anything! As others have said, hurricanes are unpredictable. Fortunately, the last option Carnival usually goes to is canceling the cruise. They do everything in their power to avoid that. The worst-case scenario, in my opinion, is the hurricane hitting the port the day of embarkation. That could cause some big problems. Other than that, I wouldn't get too dead-set on an itinerary. Ports can change depending where the storm is.

I love fall travel. Super cheap and great weather.

Yes, within a few days of departure you'll know if there will be a tropical cyclone or not. The best resource will be the National Hurricane Center, they have a 5-day and 2-day outlook report of potential and current cyclones. These are fairly reliable, and even if they're 'wrong' and a tropical cyclone doesn't develop bad weather is still likely.

What you won't know within a few days is how the cruise line will react, and where exactly the storm will be. They'll have predictions, but nobody really looks beyond the 72-hour tract. That means that you can start a week long cruise with gorgeous weather and by day four you're rerouted 200 miles.

The cruise line is not going to make any changes until they are compelled to do so. Altering an itinerary is not as simple as pushing a few buttons. There is a lot they have to consider. If not knowing till you are on your way to the port or even after you are on the ship would cause you undue stress, book outside of peak hurricane season.