What to do with glasses/ sunglasses?

Hello, I wear glasses and when I cruise, I don't carry any kind of bag during the day, I just put my Seapass in my pocket and go. My problem is when I am going from the inside to the outside, how do I carry both my glasses and sunglasses? They won't sit on top of my head, I don't want to wear a chain around my neck. I end up sticking whichever I'm not wearing into the neckline of my shirt, but, I am afraid of them falling off (or overboard) or getting damaged. They each cost like 600 per pair, so, I can't afford to lose or damage them ( that's 2 cruises, people!). What do other people do with the glasses they are not wearing, but, will need in 5 minutes?....Maureen

Wow, those are some expensive glasses. I do have this problem too. I juggle sunglasses, regular glasses and reading glasses. I do carry a small cross-body purse that I've had for years and is very comfortable, just big enough for glasses, a small camera and other essentials.

Sometimes I also wear a small pouch kind of thing around my neck and I do perch them on my head as well. Yeah, I look kind of ridiculous with all these glasses, but it's what I have to do to walk, read, see at a distance and protect my eyes from the sun. (Unfortunately, sunglasses are the ones that get used the least).

Thanks for the reply. My eye doctor doesn't like the Transitions glasses that go from clear to dark, but, I think I might get them just for cruising. At least I don't have 3 pairs, like you! My regular glasees are bifocals, so, I guess that eliminates the reading glasses. I feel like Don Johnson or somebody with my glasses stuck into my shirt. I don't know why they are so expensive, I am nearsighted (badly) and have astigmatism (sp?)...Maureen

I have these little magnetic holders that you wear on your shirt. A super-heavy-duty magnet holds them on on the underside of your clothing (no pins), and they do not come off. I got mine locally, but here is a link to the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.funpinswork.com/

Or these are classier:

http://www.peephold.com/

Edited by Sandylee

I use a chain (actually, a really cute beaded necklace I got in Guatemala) because I'm paranoid of losing my glasses while leaning over the balcony :o But I also always have a bag because I carry a book and water bottle with me wherever I go....

Thanks for the reply. My eye doctor doesn't like the Transitions glasses that go from clear to dark, but, I think I might get them just for cruising. At least I don't have 3 pairs, like you! My regular glasees are bifocals, so, I guess that eliminates the reading glasses. I feel like Don Johnson or somebody with my glasses stuck into my shirt. I don't know why they are so expensive, I am nearsighted (badly) and have astigmatism (sp?)...Maureen

My glasses are transitions and #1 they don't really get dark enough to be true sunglasses and #2 despite what you see advertised, they take a while to lighten up once inside. I don't think I will bother with them again. I normally wear contacts with the glasses as backups.

I have to take readers with me no matter where I go, so I just carry a small, cross-body bag. That way I can have a lip balm or lipstick with me as well.

I do use a leather hanging strap for my sunglasses, not a chain. I ruined a nice pair of Maui Jims recently by hooking them onto my shirt...they fell off while I was walking and I ended up stepping on them, now they are scratched and bent.

Edited by Happy ks

Hello, I wear glasses and when I cruise, I don't carry any kind of bag during the day, I just put my Seapass in my pocket and go. My problem is when I am going from the inside to the outside, how do I carry both my glasses and sunglasses? They won't sit on top of my head, I don't want to wear a chain around my neck. I end up sticking whichever I'm not wearing into the neckline of my shirt, but, I am afraid of them falling off (or overboard) or getting damaged. They each cost like 600 per pair, so, I can't afford to lose or damage them ( that's 2 cruises, people!). What do other people do with the glasses they are not wearing, but, will need in 5 minutes?....Maureen

I think it is time to start carrying a small day bag.

Wow, those are some expensive glasses. I do have this problem too. I juggle sunglasses, regular glasses and reading glasses.
I juggle these same options.

I usually wear my sunglasses (prescription -- best investment I ever made -- I'm not restricted legally, but I don't like to drive without glasses, and my Honda has rather small sunvisors) around the ship, and when I go into the buffet or somewhere else, I have no problem keeping them on top of my head. If I'm going to see a show or a movie (assuming indoors), I'd wear my regular glasses. I leave my reading glasses in the cabin. I also have regular (non-prescription) sunglasses for reading by the pool; my prescription sunglasses are for distance, and I can't read with them. I don't wear any of the above to dinner; I can read the menu without glasses, I can see everyone at the table, and I can do without seeing across to the other side of the room.

I usually have only one pair of glasses with me, so I don't need a carrying method. If, like the OP, I felt a need for something, I would opt for a small bag -- maybe a wristlet. If my glasses were $600 (wow!), I would store them in a hard-case of some type inside the small bag. That's too big an investment NOT to protect.

Edited by MrsPete

3 out of 4 of my kids have glasses. All of those 3 have transition lenses and have for a couple of years. They are fabulous, theirs get really dark outside (you can purchase various levels and colors of tint) and clear up very quickly inside. I wore glasses growing up and remember being so blind outside in the bright glare of the sun so I've kept them in transitions. I wear contacts now so I just carry sunglasses.

I have a pair of transitions. I really don't like them as "sunglasses" because of the reasons already stated....don't get dark enough and really don't get dark enough in a car. But on a cruise or any other vacation/trip that I'm going to be in and out of buildings/shops/stores I find they work better than doing the juggling act.

....But, then how can I have a Pina Colada in one hand and a Margarita in the other?:D...Those clip on/magnetic things look cute, but, I would still be aftraid of losing them overboard or sitting at the table and scratching them as I sat down. I don't like my glasses to be unprotected. I like to roam around on the ship a lot and do the walkathons,etc. I just can't see carrying a bag while doing that. Does anyone have a picture of themself on a cruise with one of these cross-body bags? I'd like to see how unobtrusive it would be. Thanks for all your replies (past and present)...Maureen.......P.S. It sounds like I need to get a new optometrist!

Edited by maureencruiser

I wear transitions lenses and only take my glasses off to shower, sleep or refresh my makeup.

That said, I do use a small day bag to carry hand sanitizer, sea pass card, lip gloss, sunscreen, book, tissues, etc. If I needed to take off my somewhat expensive glasses, I would put the case in my day bag and use that.

I do remember juggling sunglasses and reading glasses, etc. I left a pair of those clip-on sunglasses in a bar in Aruba many, many years ago. Transitions lenses have made things much simpler.

Me too....for 1200 bucks?:eek: I definitely think a small bag is in order.

They make some very cute small crossbody bags these days.:)

....But, then how can I have a Pina Colada in one hand and a Margarita in the other?:D...Those clip on/magnetic things look cute, but, I would still be aftraid of losing them overboard or sitting at the table and scratching them as I sat down. I don't like my glasses to be unprotected. I like to roam around on the ship a lot and do the walkathons,etc. I just can't see carrying a bag while doing that. Does anyone have a picture of themself on a cruise with one of these cross-body bags? I'd like to see how unobtrusive it would be. Thanks for all your replies (past and present)...Maureen.......P.S. It sounds like I need to get a new optometrist!

Cross-body bags will come in different sizes and prices, from hundreds of $ down to cheapies at discount stores, it all depends on your personal taste.

Mine is a Fossil bag, it looks just like this only in black: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=408557&CategoryID=48478

I was surprised when I was looking for something new and different, that my same exact bag was still being sold, I've had it for probably 5 years now.

You are hands free with a cross-body bag, which is great for any type of travel and especially shopping trips in your local mall.

We sell a lot of cross-body bags in our travel store, mostly Kipling since they are so lightweight and have lots of pockets. Most women put them on and look in the mirror, just like wearing the right clothes, the right sized cross-body bag is important.

....But, then how can I have a Pina Colada in one hand and a Margarita in the other?:D

I carry a hipster bag by Vera Bradley during the day and a small wristlet clutch in the evening - both of those bags leave your hands free. :)

I also use an across body bag, but to save me going in and out of the bag all the time I have a small soft glasses case (just the usual size) which has a clip on it and I can clip it to the belt loops on my shorts / capris / trousers. Works a treat! I bought it a few years ago at WDW.

Edited by suenruss

You are hands free with a cross-body bag,

so you can have YOUR DRINKs too:D

i think your answer is the Transitions or the bag...but if i had invested that much $$$ in the glasses i wouldnt be getting another pair but then again i would be afraid to take them and loose...years ago i left my BEST PAIR EVER of sunglasses (rx) at Ohare airport i was just sick and had to go the rest of the trip--cruise--with non-rx lenses:eek:these days i travel with at least 1 extra pair.

I carry some kind of bag with me. That way, I have somewhere to put my sunscreen, sunglasses or regular glasses, my S&S card, a book or my journal, my towel, my clothes for when I decide to go swimming, a lip balm etc. If I didn't have a bag, I'd just end up going back to the cabin everytime I want to put on more sunscreen or something.

Have you thought about different contacts? One eye could correct your vision, and the other could deal with the reading glasses. That only leaves the sunglasses left. This is what I do and it works great!! Talk to your eye doctor!!! :)