advice on hotels in San Diego

mailmama

Seems the Wyndham Bayside is sold out for the time in Nov. when we are there. Looking for something near the airport (as we are flying in) and near the cruise ship port. Want shuttles for both. Seems the Best Western Plus on Ash st. fits the bill. Anyone got any advice about this hotel? Is it walkable to the Seaport Village area to eat? Walkable, as in, are there sidewalks?

Greetings fellow Nashvillian. I'm not family with the BW Plus, but I like the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway. Shuttle from the airport and to the port (I just walk), and within walking distance of Little Italy and Seaport Village.

Roz

thanks, will check that one out……price unfortunately is a factor too! We looked into SpringHill Suites but not close to anything we wanted to do and no shuttles. (think it was the Mission Valley hotel site.)

Seaport Village is certainly not the best place you need to walk to to have dinner.

All the wonderful restaurants in our Little Italy neighborhood(not just Italian) are much closer to the hotels you are considering and are much better than most in Seaport Village! There are tons of possible hotels from which to choose as the cruise port is right in downtown San Diego.

There is a SpringHill Suites San Diego Bayfront right across the street from the cruise terminal. Don't know why you didn't see that one. It's at 900 Bayfront Ct. Google it...

Granted, it doesn't have a shuttle to/from the airport. A cheap cab or Uber will do the trick.

I'm staying there in a couple of weeks (thanks to my SPG points transferred to my MR account). I've stayed down at the Andaz before, so everything is still familiar and within walking distance to what I want to do and where I want to eat.

Hampton Inn Downtown is also close to both the pier and airport. Others include Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront, SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront, & the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay/Downtown.

I would agree with the advice above about eating in Little Italy (a hot bed of foodie restaurants, not all Italian either) vs. Seaport Village, although if you want to go to the Fish Market (right next to Seaport Village) you can easily walk from there as well...it is just south of the USS Midway. Fine sidewalks along the Embarcadero (waterfront).

Most of the hotels downtown or in the Marina area do not have hotel shuttles for either the airport or pier, but you can take Supershuttle for about $10 each, cab, or Uber as well. The pier is just over a mile from the airport.

For your Nov 8 Panama cruise?

San Diego takes Veteran's Day very seriously.

Yes, we do, but the big parade (right by the cruise ship pier) is on November 11, Veterans' Day, not on November 8.

• 5 months later...

About 10 years ago we stayed at a Holiday Inn very close (like across the street) to the San Diego port. We walked, with our bags, to the ship. Has that hotel been sold/ removed? I remember there was a Ruth Chris Steak house nearby! Appreciate the ideas in earlier posts and any and all ideas additional ideas for hotel and dinner

restaurant.

We stay down by Sea Port village at least 4-5 times a year. The most convenient to the seaport is the Embassy Suites. Any hotel along Harbor Dr either side of the Embassy for about 1/2 mile is good, just depends on how much you want to spend. We always try for the Hilton Gas Lamp as our first choice and the Andaz is a really cool boutique place with a killer rooftop pool and bar.

If you have time, I highly recommend doing the walking tour of the Gas Lamp "Brothels, Bites, and Booze". It's only about two hours but a really fun time. Tin Fish directly in front of the Hilton has great food. Buster's at Sea Port Village is very good.

I know I am too late for the original poster, but I thought I would post my thoughts if someone else is looking for info.

I have had 2 great pre-flight stays at the Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island. There are only a few restaurants walking distance and all a bit pricy (but the one in the hotel was quite good).

My son and I have both stayed at the Courtyard downtown on different trips and both had great experiences. It is walking distance from the great restaurants that someone else was talking about. It was not a bad Uber price or ride from the Courtyard to and from the airport.

On one trip we had a car, so we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Old Town. There are some interesting things to do and places to eat within walking distance and the prices were much better than downtown. Again, probably not a bad price by taxi or Uber to get there.