How do you manage your house, pets, etc. while on such a lengthy cruise?

World Cruising
A place for world and extended length cruisers to share advice and experiences.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:59 AM.
#61
Atlanta area, Georgia, USA
649 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
I am seriously considering a WC in Jan 2020 with HAL. The comments on this thread are very helpful. One thing that hasn't been covered is Income Tax. The tentative dates of the cruise are Jan 4 through May 12. How would I handle my taxes? You can't file for an extension until at least January and that gives no extension for payment. I never really know until I get my brokerage statement in January what my final tax bill will be. I have found that even though you have internet access on the ship, it is often not easy to open some web sites and I really wouldn't want to have to open a brokerage site on the ship. It isn't a secure connection, right?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anne
[email protected]

#62
101,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by love_the_sea
I am seriously considering a WC in Jan 2020 with HAL. The comments on this thread are very helpful. One thing that hasn't been covered is Income Tax. The tentative dates of the cruise are Jan 4 through May 12. How would I handle my taxes? You can't file for an extension until at least January and that gives no extension for payment. I never really know until I get my brokerage statement in January what my final tax bill will be. I have found that even though you have internet access on the ship, it is often not easy to open some web sites and I really wouldn't want to have to open a brokerage site on the ship. It isn't a secure connection, right?
Anne, we have done several extensions as we have sailed a number of World Cruises.

I would not do it on the ship. I know of someone on a current world cruise and it didn't work.

What I do is in November I begin to guesstimate what our taxes will be based on all that I know. In December
I fill out the extension form, print it and then give it to a family member to mail to the IRS for us. I error on the
side of higher taxes. I also ensure that my taxes for the first quarter of the following year are covered. Again
I error on the high side. I've done this numerous times.

Keith
#63
Tampa, Florida
4,669 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Also, the new request for extension can be done in 2 minutes on the computer, through one of the IRS approved sites. It no longer requires estimating what your annual income was and the taxes paid. Simply: How much additional you are paying, if any. You submit, and you get back an immediate confirmation of your extension from both the website and the IRS.

I gave up actually mailing in an extension a few years ago when it got lost in the mail. This way I have proof of the application, and confirmation both from the website and another from the IRS.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me HERE
#64
101,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I would just be sure you can do this from the computer.

As I said someone on a World Cruise right now cannot using the site he wanted to use.

Keith
#65
Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,983 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by Keith1010
Anne, we have done several extensions as we have sailed a number of World Cruises.

I would not do it on the ship. I know of someone on a current world cruise and it didn't work.

What I do is in November I begin to guesstimate what our taxes will be based on all that I know. In December
I fill out the extension form, print it and then give it to a family member to mail to the IRS for us. I error on the
side of higher taxes. I also ensure that my taxes for the first quarter of the following year are covered. Again
I error on the high side. I've done this numerous times.

Keith
This is exactly what I did for my Grand World Voyage other than giving the paperwork to a relative/friend to be mailed. Since my cruise sailed after January One, I took the extension paper work and check with me and mailed it from Fort Lauderdale prior to embarkation.

As Keith did, I was generous in what I sent to Uncle Sam in January. But, it surely was nice to have a nice sized refund once I filed in late Spring to help pay the credit card bill!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines
#66
Atlanta area, Georgia, USA
649 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Thanks Keith1010, Tampa Girl, and rkacruiser for your very detailed answers. This really helps. I have never filed for an extension so was not very comfortable with that process and it was easier to ask you all than to check out the IRS site. For the last 5 or 6 years I have done everything online, including my estimated payments which I set up in advance. I would think I could do that before I leave. And as rkacruiser said, I could do everything from Ft. Lauderdale right before we sail. I seem to already be at least half committed to doing the 2020 HAL WV. Just have to make sure all the details will work (I don't have anyone that I want to impose upon to take care of things).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anne
[email protected]

#67
USA
5,282 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I'm lucky that my world cruise will be leaving January 30, 2019. I'm planning to download my tax info in early-mid January, then figure out my taxes (I use Turbo Tax) right before I leave. Always send it electronically and refund is directly deposited.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.



Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

#68
Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,983 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by love_the_sea
Thanks Keith1010, Tampa Girl, and rkacruiser for your very detailed answers. This really helps. I have never filed for an extension so was not very comfortable with that process and it was easier to ask you all than to check out the IRS site. For the last 5 or 6 years I have done everything online, including my estimated payments which I set up in advance. I would think I could do that before I leave. And as rkacruiser said, I could do everything from Ft. Lauderdale right before we sail. I seem to already be at least half committed to doing the 2020 HAL WV. Just have to make sure all the details will work (I don't have anyone that I want to impose upon to take care of things).
I am pleased that my post was helpful to you. And, I also share your statement that I don't want to impose on others due to my travel plans. But, I do suggest that you have a trusted friend/relative to periodically check your residence while you are gone. You don't want to return to your home finding that a water pipe broke, USPS failed to stop/re-direct your mail for a period of time, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines
#69
Florida
21,141 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I pay a neighbor $200 a month to take care of things
Pool clorean and lowering pool water
Mail
House
Mailing out already prepared cards
Filling in a pry signed check for house taxes
Watering house plants
Check landline phone
Emailing us weekly updates
And more
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 31 voyages 823 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 86 Cruises 1280 days

NOT YET SAILED
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Koningsdam 10/19 37 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/20 128 days
#70
California
2,177 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by we're sailing away....
I pay a neighbor $200 a month to take care of things
Pool clorean and lowering pool water
Mail
House
Mailing out already prepared cards
Filling in a pry signed check for house taxes
Watering house plants
Check landline phone
Emailing us weekly updates
And more
Thanks...... It is helpful to get an actual amount, and to know what services are being provided for that amount.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
#71
British Columbia
672 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
We are considering our 2nd WC in 2020, but travel every year for 6 or 7 months. For all financial issues we have given power of attorney to our daughter, who also has a Visa card on our account. She pays any bills that are not pre-authorised and pays for pet food, etc in our absence.

For vehicles, we give the car to our son & DIL and the truck to our daughter & SIL, who use them periodically.

When on cruises, we get a pet/house sitter, who are normally free. When RV'ing we take the pets with us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andy & Judi

World Cruise & RV'ing Blog: www.andyandjudi.com

Upcoming Cruises
2020 - Viking Sun World Cruise - LA to Greenwich

Previous Cruises
1976 Uganda - Meddy
1977 Oriana - Vancouver to Sydney
1978 Oriana - UK
1978 Canberra - UK
1979 Uganda - Meddy
1979 Island Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1980 Sun Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1999 Sun Princess - Alaska
2002 Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
2005 Coral Princess - Panama
2005 Dawn Princess - West Coastal
2007 Dawn Princess - Mexico
2008 Island Princess - Panama
2008 Diamond Princess - Asia B2B
2010 Island Princess - Panama
2011 Diamond Princess - Alaska B2B
2013 Sapphire Princess - Alaska B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Caribbean B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Trans Atlantic
2015 Sea Princess - World Cruise
2017 CMV Columbus - Baltic